What's new

Shave like the Apollo astronaughts!

I just read a post on FB, by the Project Apollo. The hygiene kit included a Gillette Techmatic razor and the photo shows an Old Spice shave cream. For those interested, it is a post from May 1. I don't know if it is permissible to cut and past the post here, but I believe that if you have a FB account you can find that post. Very good read with photos of various astronauts shaving!

Techmatic huh? Isn't that the one with the ribbon that spools through it? The reviews I've read on it are uniformly negative. So, which is it:

A) I need to read more broadly.
B) FAKE NEWS!
C) Some razors shave better in zero gravity.
D) "In space, no one can hear you scream."

Techmatic huh? Isn't that the one with the ribbon that spools through it? The reviews I've read on it are uniformly negative. So, which is it:

A) I need to read more broadly.
B) FAKE NEWS!
C) Some razors shave better in zero gravity.
D) "In space, no one can hear you scream."

I think D! Probably good marketing move. I haven't seen much good written about this razor, either. Nothing.

Sent via my Samsung

I used one when they first came out. I also used the Schick version as well. Neither was any good, but the Schick was marginally better. I wouldn't give a nickel for either one, except maybe for it's curiosity value, but that would be a nickel wasted.

Dave: "HAL, I'd like to shave with my Gillette Slim Adjustable this morning."
HAL 9000: "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Techmatic was a dud. My Grandfather had one. The replacement carts were costly compared to DE blades. I believe he used it a few times and it sat in a drawer after that went to product heaven

I'm hanging on to a brand new one so I can use it on my weeklong SpaceX trip around the moon.

IMG_9092.JPG

“Ha Ha Ha, we sent you boys to the Moon with Techmatics? Heh, that’s as ridiculous as me getting tossed by a third rate burglary!”

825868E3-ED74-4AE8-B8EB-4EC8AF9BE9AE.jpeg

HAL: Daisy, Daisy...
E254C818-91AF-45F0-BA91-711215F1B1ED.jpeg

Dave: Thank you HAL....errr, Mr. Kubrick, are we certain about this product placement?
Stanley Kubrick: Can’t talk now, busy with faking the Moon landing...

The Techmatic may have been a dog, but that continuous ribbon blade was probably seen as safer than dealing with floating DE and SE blades. The obvious question is whether the Techmatic solution was lighter than a wind-up razor (and yes, I almost bought one back in the day).

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have picked up a few Techmatics off the bay. They have turned up fully loaded. After reading about them here and finding out that they were not particularly great shavers I am not really interested in trying one.

Personally, I think I would use canned goo and a straight razor in space so I could simply wipe it off on a towel.

How do you unclog a DE,SE or a cart in zero-G when there can be no running water? :blink:

Top Bottom