What's new

Shave Journals - here's mine, what's yours look like?

Since I started DE shaving I created a journal template. It is a form that I can diagram, freehand text and circle choices about what I do to prepare for and execute my shaving routine, as well as recording my post shaving experience.

It is an ever evolving form that gets update with more experience. I have attached my journal in hopes of seeing or reading about yours. Also, if you don't have a journal maybe this will give you inspiration to develop one so that you can tweak your equipment, products and techniques to obtain that perfect shave.

For what it's worth, here it is . . . .

That's funny... steps 9 and 10 are exactly the same here. I do a cold rinse, use the alum block, do a clean up while the alum sits on my face, cold rinse and apply the balm.

Wow, comprehensive! Mine just consists of odd notes about the blades I try and tonight it allowed me to conclude that I should never use a Derby blade again.

That's funny... steps 9 and 10 are exactly the same here. I do a cold rinse, use the alum block, do a clean up while the alum sits on my face, cold rinse and apply the balm.

That's part of sharing my journal, validating my learning by reading about what I do in common with other DE shavers. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, comprehensive! Mine just consists of odd notes about the blades I try and tonight it allowed me to conclude that I should never use a Derby blade again.

That's part of the shaving evaluation chart, where the Blade- line is I write in the brand of blade that I used and a rating. 3 is average and since my first decent shave was with a Wilkinson I use that as my average benchmark. Funny though, I actually like Derby Extras and hate Merkur's. I am still experimenting with other Blades.

BTW group,

if you would like my raw PowerPoint file used to create my journal I will be happy to share. I tried to post this as a generic pdf but it was 58 kb and the limit was 19 kb, so I had to post it as a pic which is a larger file size, but that's what the forum took.

Anyways I can try to post the ppt file or I can email direct to you if you want it, just PM and I will email it.

When I use this guide I print it out on a 5 by 8 index card, front and back, so that I have one card. I have also developed a tips sheet for you to use. When you request the file I will send it with the ppt.

Wow, this form is simply amazing. I'll def. want to print a few to use when my Merkur arrives later this week.

Thanks for putting this together!

You must be a Type-A personality!

Great Work! My first facial diagram looked like a Roshak Test with 150 arrows going in all directions - it looked like Jerry Lewis drew it!

On second thought - I hate you! What I would give to have all of my hair growing in one direction:wink::wink:

On second thought - I hate you! What I would give to have all of my hair growing in one direction:wink::wink:

Almost all of it grows in one direction. Right over and under my right jaw line there is a small portion that grows sideways, but that's about as funky as my facial hair gets.

The hair on my head is kinda wild with cowlicks :tongue_sm all over the place. Needless to say I keep my hair short. If I had it my way it would be the opposite, facial hair all funky and a good head of hair.

Top Bottom