What's new

Shave in the shower?

I'm just wondering if you shave in the shower or not, especially if you use a brush. From browsing the forums, it seems to me that most people here shave at the sink. I'm just curious about the practicality of shaving in the shower while lathering up with a brush.

I prefer to shave at the sink. That may be because my shower is a corner stall that really doesn't have much room (had to make room for the HUGE jacuzzi tub.. :thumbup: ), but I don't know. I also shave my head, and I've tried doing that in the shower a few times. Just overall seems more difficult to me. Now I usually shave my head first, then shower, then shave.

On a side note, this also let's me get the Proraso pre-shave worked in and let the steam work on it a bit while I'm in the shower before my shave. Works fantastic!

teamccloud said:
I'm just wondering if you shave in the shower or not, especially if you use a brush. From browsing the forums, it seems to me that most people here shave at the sink. I'm just curious about the practicality of shaving in the shower while lathering up with a brush.
Not very practical or safe with a str8. Sharp implements, wet soapy hands.... Think of the consequences of dropping it. There's a log of, ahem, appendages:redface: that could suffer injury, or worse:eek:

kozulich said:
Not very practical or safe with a str8. Sharp implements, wet soapy hands.... Think of the consequences of dropping it. There's a log of, ahem, appendages:redface: that could suffer injury, or worse:eek:

Actually, from what I can see, it's very practical period. Give me a sink with a good size counter to spread my stuff out, then I can take my time and really enjoy the shave.

Shave AFTER a shower - absolutely. Shave in the shower - tenuous at best.

YMMV - of course.

Peace,

Pierre

I shave in the shower, almost every day, and I love it. I have a small mirror with sucktion cups on the wall and it is very conveniant, rinsing, cleaning, washing face, brush, razor etc.

I used to shave with a cartridge and foam in the shower for years, but since I went to a DE and brush I have found it more enjoyable to shave at the sink after the shower.

I do both. Head shave in the shower followed by a face shave at the sink. Some days I get lazy and use the fusion power in the shower on the face. Not the closest shave but not bad at all.

I'm a big guy and it takes me quite a while to get all of me washed. If I added shaving to the shower routine I would waste hundreds of gallons of water!

In addition, I use a Feather AC and although I have never dropped it, the consequences of one drop could be VERY serious. For the same reason, I can't bring myself to stand at the sink shaving while wearing only my birthday suit.

I usually shave after the shower, but I have heard some say that they would never shave after a shower and always before, although I have also heard some say you should always shave after a shower. I am curious as to what the advantages of shaving before the shower are, as opposed to having opened the pores and moisturized the beard during the shower. Anybody have any input?

Kyle Stoner said:
I usually shave after the shower, but I have heard some say that they would never shave after a shower and always before, although I have also heard some say you should always shave after a shower. I am curious as to what the advantages of shaving before the shower are, as opposed to having opened the pores and moisturized the beard during the shower. Anybody have any input?

Pssst. Let me tell you a little secret. come closer. no, still closer. I need to whisper the secret of a perfect shave in your ear. Ready?

Get up at 3AM and go out of your house. Find a shady grove of trees. Now you'll need a set of pan pipes. Pipe a merry tune and dance around a bit. At this point, some small forest animals should come out of hiding. Grab one and quickly rub it against your face. The natural oils will provide you a guaranteed perfect shave, well worth your little trip outside. Please beware of sharp claws and teeth.

Or you could do what I do and just take a shower beforehand. or after. Whatever works. :tongue_sm

When I used a cartridge razor I would shave in the shower. No mirror needed. All done very quickly by feel alone. I did this for many years.
Now with a DE this would be impossible for me to do...unless I was looking to do "hari kari" on myself.

Scotto said:
Get up at 3AM and go out of your house. Find a shady grove of trees. Now you'll need a set of pan pipes. Pipe a merry tune and dance around a bit. At this point, some small forest animals should come out of hiding. Grab one and quickly rub it against your face. The natural oils will provide you a guaranteed perfect shave, well worth your little trip outside. Please beware of sharp claws and teeth.

Those natural oils are great. Well worth the risk posed by those wicked sharp claws and teeth. :lol:

i shave in the shower and wouldn't have it any other way. i have gotten around the water wasting problem with a oxygenics handle shower head that has a cutoff for the water. i cut it to a small stream to rinse the razor while doing the pass and then turn it to full to rinse my face and raise the room temp between passes. i clean the fog free mirror with a sprtizer bottle of alcohol and some toilet paper after every use. the shower method reduces cleanup afterward and allows me to really wet my face well inbetween passes. i have also found that a chlorine filter helps i use a spritzer brand made for handheld shower heads but there is one that uses vitamin c to filter the chlorine that also looked good.

Shower for me. I've tried many times to shave at the sink to no avail. I get nicks and irritation at the sink, hardly any nicks in the shower and no irritation at all. I use both my DE and the Feather AC while in the shower and have never had any issue with dropping any razor. Even with wet hands I always have a firm grip on the razors.

I used to get good shaves in the shower when I used cartridges. My small AOS brush I started with fit nicely in the corner of my shampoo/soap rack. Switching to DE and a bigger brush however required moving to the sink.

i have never shaved in the shower, but i have shaved before and after (not on th same day:biggrin: ) i never saw much difference except that shaving before took much longer since i had to prep my face.

matthew

Top Bottom