What's new

Shave first, then shower

Become a member of A.S.S. Association of Shower Shavers. I have my mirror and its like a hot towel when it's steamy. I find my face less chewed when I do. Whatever your preference, a SSS is the same regardless of order.

Interesting topic. I can do either but I tend to enjoy the evening shaves when I don't shower more, though I always thought I got a better result because I was able to relax after a stressful day at work. It's easier to be relaxed when the stressful day is behind you rather than in front of you, ya' know?

I'm certainly going to try the shave first tomorrow morning.

Also I have found that leaving my natural skin oils helps aid in a more comfortable shave. When I wash face first, it strips those oils & the shave is not as smooth.

I shower first, then shave. I like my whiskers well-hydrated. I start the shave itself by washing my face thoroughly with soap (even after a shower) and applying a hot wash cloth for 2 minutes. That softens my whiskers even more and makes sure that they are good and hydrated. To solve the problem of the skin oils being stripped away, my next step is to apply Neutragena Post Shave Lotion. (Pick your product here; Neutragena Moisturizing Face Wash, Proraso Pre, or your favorite shave oil.) That leaves my skin nice and supple and well-moisturized for the blade. Works for me. I use either Clubman or Skin Bracer after the shave.

This morning I shaved in the hallway, with a straight and KMF Lavender & shea. Get out of the bathroom, get into the kitchen, free yourselves, free your shaves :D

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have done it both ways, albeit I like to shave after my shower. The shower really hydrates the beard and makes shaving that much easier.

+1 Pretty much the opposite of the op - shower first, wash face in shower, use hot water for shave. YMMV.

At home I shave after I shower, for the most part. When I travel, usually on ships, I generally shave before I shower since it seems to be so difficult to rinse off the soap when I'm done, due to the water, and also the tiny sink I generally have to work with. Either way I get good shaves.

So I conducted a little experiment to determine if shaving before showering changed the outcome of my shave and I can say conclusively, yes, it does.

I spent a whole week doing each of:
1) shaving in the evening without showering (shower in the morning only),
2) shaving in the morning after showering (as per usual)
3) finally shaving in the morning before showering.

Across the entire experiment I found that my usual morning shower then shave produced the worst outcome! In hindsight I already knew that a long hot shower was setting me up for an awful shave, so I suppose it should have been no surprise that no shower makes for a better one.

In past experiments a trend had developed which indicated that it was possible to over-hydrate my skin and develop more irritation; this experiment seems to support that notion. There seems to be a window where whiskers are adequately softened but skin is not yet over-hydrated/compromised and I can get a great shave with little thought. Not enough prep time and it's a rough shave, too much and the I have to be very careful or suffer greater irritation.

So, here's what I do now:
- Two minute face wash in warm water with Mitchell's Wool Fat bar soap
- empty and re-fill the sink with cool water, soak brush, prepare lather while face is wet
- face lather for one minute
- two passes, XTG and ATG, some touch-up
- rinse and clean up before showering

I shave six days a week and on every occasion I've had a very close shave with little to no irritation at all, regardless of the razor used.

:punk: Result!

I'm in the shower at night, shave in the morning camp. I started shaving at night after my shower but being in the military, I need a fresh shave first thing so it lasts all day. I found shaving at night I would have a 5 o'clock shadow by noon!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I usually shave and shower at night, also ending up with 5 o’clock by noon. This week I have been shaving in the morning and really enjoying it.

So I conducted a little experiment to determine if shaving before showering changed the outcome of my shave and I can say conclusively, yes, it does.

I spent a whole week doing each of:
1) shaving in the evening without showering (shower in the morning only),
2) shaving in the morning after showering (as per usual)
3) finally shaving in the morning before showering.

Across the entire experiment I found that my usual morning shower then shave produced the worst outcome! In hindsight I already knew that a long hot shower was setting me up for an awful shave, so I suppose it should have been no surprise that no shower makes for a better one.

In past experiments a trend had developed which indicated that it was possible to over-hydrate my skin and develop more irritation; this experiment seems to support that notion. There seems to be a window where whiskers are adequately softened but skin is not yet over-hydrated/compromised and I can get a great shave with little thought. Not enough prep time and it's a rough shave, too much and the I have to be very careful or suffer greater irritation.

So, here's what I do now:
- Two minute face wash in warm water with Mitchell's Wool Fat bar soap
- empty and re-fill the sink with cool water, soak brush, prepare lather while face is wet
- face lather for one minute
- two passes, XTG and ATG, some touch-up
- rinse and clean up before showering

I shave six days a week and on every occasion I've had a very close shave with little to no irritation at all, regardless of the razor used.

:punk: Result!

Nice experiment & write up! Thanks for sharing

it was possible to over-hydrate my skin and develop more irritation
I thought exactly the same, over hydration can produce bad shaves as the skin feels softer and more prone to irritation, so when I have long hot showers I shave with cold water to tighten my skin and does not affect the hydration on the whiskers but shaving before shower seems like the way to go

After reading this thread I tried shaving before my shower. Really good results, and I'm struggling with ingrown hairs and irritation at the moment so that's a win.
I've only tried it once so far so I'll see how the next couple of weeks go.

When I first tried shaving with cartridge razors in the '80s, I shaved then showered, so that I could rinse off any blood from nicks. Now that happens very rarely. Perhaps I'll try it tomorrow . . . I can probably find something to occupy me for 2-3 minutes while I let the cream soften the bristles.
This is why I started shaving before showering. Now I just keep that routine.
I thought I was the only weirdo that did that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And now there are 3.

I have a question though. Would I wash my face with soap/wash in the shower, or just water? After shaving that is.

I always do. I just use my regular face soap in the shower. Then after I get out I apply whatever aftershave and/or balm I will be using. Works like a champ for me!

I always do. I just use my regular face soap in the shower. Then after I get out I apply whatever aftershave and/or balm I will be using. Works like a champ for me!
Gotta say, it's really strange washing an already smooth face when I'm so used to stubble when I wash haha

For years it was shave first and then a hot shower. Now that seems so backwards for a number of reasons:
1. The pre shave prep (washing, softening) of the whiskers is easier in the shower.
2. If I apply cold water, witch hazel or some other astringent after shaving, it gets all removed in the shower and the facial pores open back up again, then that process may need to be repeated.
3. While showing after does seem relaxing, I think the body soap, shampoo, etc., can potentially cause facial irritation after a fresh shave.

Anyway, I have done both and I totally support shower first, shave last.

Top Bottom