What's new

Shave Factory Boar Brush Lineup - Dimonds in the ruff, and just ruff

Shave Factory boar brushes are a low cost line of boar brushes. You see them pop up from time to time on B&B but with out much detail. I ran across a photo of a high density Shave Factory brush a while ago, and decided to take a chance on them. I had a bunch of extra Paypal funds from BST, and an eternal case of SBAD and purchased all four sizes of thee line up for $40 shipped. What showed up in my mail box was a mixed lot to say the very least. Keep in mind that these are first impressions and that the brushes in use are not fully broken in. They have just about two weeks of use, and will continue to break in for some time.

$SF Lineup.jpg$SF Lineup Top.jpg
Here are three of the four Shave Factory brushes, more to come on why the S is not pictured here. The M brush has had no break in (zero wet dry cycles) so it has not bloomed at all. Look at the monster bloom on that L though!

First off let me start off with a rundown of the specs. XS - 25mm x 50mm ($8), S 25mm x 55mm ($9), M 25mm x 60mm ($9.50) , L 29mm x 68mm ($15). All with free shipping.

The XS, S, and M are all the same not just set at different lofts. Density is very similar between all three, and is similar to Omega's and non LE Semogues. The SX has a stubby little handle, and the S and M have the same handle (save for paint color). The bristles come in partially broken in with many split tips, and lathering decently. They are softening up and making better lather with use. The hair seems to have more backbone than Omega banded boars, but time will tell how far they break in.

For me the modest difference in price is more or less fair as the a dolor more for a painted more substantial handle makes sense. Though if they are using the same knot size and hair, the difference in loft between S and M seems like it would not require a change in price, even if it is only 50 cents.

As for the large, its a very dense boar, its at least as dense as my Semogue 2011 LE, and thats saying something! It might be even more dense, in the 4 extra MM of knot space, they cram literally twice the hair into the knot as the smaller 25mm brushes. Literally when you ball up the hair of the knot, its about twice the size. At its stock loft its very very big. It is a full order bigger than my Chubby 2 two band, Omega 27mm Pro, M&F 34mm Chubby, or even my 39mm Sophi Cosmetics Kabuki. Its a big brush there is no getting around it.

However with the addition of a hair band and several O rings (aka more trouble than its worth... almost) this thing turns into a Chubby style boar. The new loft is about 55mm. I dont hate boar brushes, but even extra dense boars I never got the face feel I look for from a high end shaving brush YMMV. This beast however is a backbone and density monster, with a reasonable loft. I dont know if its in my rotation to stay, but it certainly has my attention for the moment. I think I still prefer my big two bands, and Kabuki's, but this brush puts a smile on my face. I had totally written off finding a Chubby style boar, but here it is. It took some extra fooling around, and looks a bit silly, but it is what it is. Plus for $20, the novelty alone keeps me entertained.

Also of note is that the hair on the L is slightly different than the other three brushes. Its lighter in color, and for whatever reason dries very very fast. A good shake after a lather, and a couple hours and its almost dry to the touch even with the extra density and banding keeping the knot tight.

The (Ugly) Chubby Boar!!!

$SF Chubby .jpg
$SF Chubby top.jpg
You can see the bloom is much smaller with all of the banding. It is still a big brush, but the face feel is much much smaller now. The face feel of the large is closer to that of the smaller two now, though perspective would make you think its still bigger than it is. With the height of the M being twice what the other two are, and how close the camera was, you get a bit of "forced perspective here" distorting the sizes slightly.

I like the XS with its low loft/knot size ratio, and the L with its high density. While most users would like the S and M most, I find them to be a bit tall lofted for my face lathering. Though I think most users would choose one of the two for balance bowl and face lathering.

Last edited:
Trouble comes into paradise when you take quality into consideration. Now for sub $10 brushes, I was not expecting perfection. However the M had paint run from the bottom of the handle all the way up the handle and bristles. This is clearly unacceptable. It also has big paint bubbles at the base. The S has paint chips all along the base of the knot. I could live with the problems with the S, but since I'm returning the M anyway, and I would not get much use out of the S, I'm sending it back as well. I never even took it out of the package when I saw they all had the same knot size. I know I'm finicky with lofts, and for me only the shortest works.

$SF S & M.jpg
Notice the paint bubbles in the black paint on the bottom of the M brush.
$SF S & M Top.jpg
You can see that these two brushes are of very very similar size. The handles are identical, and the loft is only 5mm different.

$SF Quality 1.jpg
If you look closely at the bottom of the handle you can see the paint bubbles in the black paint.
$SF Quality 2.jpg
Here you can clearly see the problems with these two brushes.

You cant tell from the photo's but the knot construction is also of issue with these brushes. In all four of the SF brushes glue has been pulled up into the knots by capillary action. You can feel it plain as day when grasping the knots anywhere close to the base. When new, the hairs clump around the outside of the knot. With use and some time to break in though, this effect starts to dissipate but so far has not gone away. If you take a look at the top down picture of the L you can see even with the banding the outside is still much tighter than the center of the brush. This is not a huge problem in use, but its there and deserved comment.

Also there is only a thin finish on the XS. As you can see in the first photo up top, it is already wearing off. The three larger sizes all have a nice glossy finish to them, and seem more durable. Again its not a deal breaker on a $8 brush, but its there and needs to be pointed out.

I think you get what you pay for with brushes this cheap. However in two of the four cases, I find the cost and quality to be perfect for me, add in great performance and you have real winners. I'd go so far as to say shy of a Semogue LE or TGN boar in a custom handle, the XS is the only boar I would recommend. That said, when these brushes are bad, they are really bad.

Last edited:
First off I enjoyed your EcoTools Brush Thread, The large brush you have here has the exact specs as the #1 Horse Hair Brush I had owned, purchased here; http://shop.bestshave.net/profesionel-shaving-brushes-no1-p-59.html it was Huge, ~5" across the top of the loft after an initial lather. I mainly used it for Head Shaves, too big for my face, and enjoyed it while I had it, I then passed it on in a PIF about a year ago. BTW, how many brushes do you have?

Thank you so much for the kind words! To answer your question, I have to many brushes. I keep trying to sell them off, but wind up with a handful of low cost brushes for every "nice" one I get rid of. As of right now I have 16 brushes (4 three band badger, 4 two bands, 4 boars, 3 kabukis, and a synthetic). However I have the two SF brushes that are techincaly not yet in the mail for a return. I also have two knots awaiting handles, a handle and a knot that are not being used with no plans on use. Plus two sythetics and 4 kabukis making their way to me in the mail.

Like I said I have...
an eternal case of SBAD
I was obviously not kidding.

There are some that I am going to be selling sometime in the near future, and not all of the Kabuki's are suited for wet shaving. So a couple of kabukis will be going to my fiance. The problem for me is that I have to many awesome brushes, and even some very good/excellent ones dont get used. Plus I have a couple beautiful handles with average knots that I like looking at, but they dont get uses often.

I hope it goes with out saying, but I really enjoy shaving brushes. Especially trying out new ones and writing them up. That goes double for gear no one else is paying attention to. Over the years I have tried a large sampling of high end brushes. I was lucky enough to figured out exactly what my tastes are. Now I'm having just as much fun sorting threw the low cost options and seeing where and how they stack up against the big guns. After selling a $100~$200 razor/hone/brush on BST, its fun to toss $25 of that around and come up with several kabukis or three boar brushes to try out. Sometimes I pull up a new gem sometimes I dont, but at least I'm not loosing money to SBAD anymore.

Last edited:
I think it's time for a Loric SBAD Retrospective. Something half memoir, half core information dump. :thumbup:

I think it's time for a Loric SBAD Retrospective. Something half memoir, half core information dump. :thumbup:

I like it, I'll call it "To all the brushes I'v loved before.... and some I tried to forget"

...so is that a shot at how long my brush reviews are getting? :lol:

Amazon has the Large as part of sets. If you look up "shave factory gift set" on Amazon some will show up. Just look for the ones that say large.

Also, you can get them from RazorsDirect.com a couple weeks back when I was looking they had free shipping and a 10% off coupon out. The listing here shows a size M, but what other members and I have received are the size L stated in the description.

Last edited:
Loric, I agree brushes are my weakness when it comes to AD's, I did pare down my Den to 6 brushes I enjoyed... that lasted about three or four weeks and added 6 more. I've probably owned/used 20 Horse Hairs the past 18 months, throw in the few synthetics, Badgers & Boars... probably puts the total ~28-32 :001_wub: :sod:

I had 12 but cut it to 10, but I'm looking to pare it down to 6 so I can buy two more and keep it at 8
wink.gif
a39.gif

Last edited:
The XS looks nice to me, but I would have to say, that at the same price as a Semogue 1470, I'd expect much higher quality. Their prices don't climb the way the Semo's do, so the QC is almost acceptable at the larger brushes, but since the XS is the one I'd take out of them (I'm not willing to band brushes like you do), it's the price I look at. Did you notice any problems with its finish or were the problems limited to the painted brushes?

There are no problems with the finish other than its already rubbing off on the XS. You can see that the top of the handle is already a different color than the rest of it. GDCarrington has a photo of his two year old brush that has almost no finish left on it. I lifted this photo from another thread that he posted too this past weekend.
proxy.php

As for why purchase the XL over the Semogue, the knot size/loft ratio is lower. I have never used that particular Semogue, but I like how scrubby the XS is. Even given the difference in handle quality, I'd still choose the XL.

As for the bands... I hate using them. I straight out refuse to use them on a high end brush. However with these odd ball giant brushes, there really is no other way to make the workable. The Chubby Boar is a train wreck I admit it, and I still like badger and synthetic better than boar. It was a lot of fun seeing if you could find/make/create a chubby style boar, and I did it. I forced it into existence from inferior parts :lol: I'll probably use it a couple times for novelty sake, but at that size I like the Sophi Cosmetics brush better hands down.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm gonna have to pick up a XS, that size/loft looks like a good fit for me.

Speaking of Kabuki's, the Mac 182 arrived. The knot is a lot like the Sable, but even a bit less backbone and it holds far more tenaciously onto water. I toweled it off and it's been drying for maybe nine hours now and it's still sopping wet. It didn't shed nearly as badly as the sable did but it bleeds dye far far worse. It works pretty well, but I still think the Synth knot on the ecotools is standing out as the best of the bunch that I've tried. All of these are better latherers than similarly priced badger shave brushes would be, although I don't know if I'd take any of them other than the ecotools over a Semogue 1470 or similarly priced, well-made boar. The flimsy construction, dye bleeding, limited backbone, and unimpressive handles are a lot of strikes against them and with the exception of the synthetic, they haven't performed so exceptionally that they made up for those shortcomings.

Last edited:
I have been having the same thoughts about Kabuki's. The good ones seem to all be synthetic at this point. I think your 182 is goat, correct? It sounds exactly like my Posh goat. Does the 182 load soap well?

It was listed as wool actually. And with how much water it holds, I believe it is. It does load pretty well, since the fibers stay so wet, it just dissolves the soap and sucks it right up.

edit: Actually this one is goat, I must have it confused with another brush I bought. They're all running together.

Ok, the seller says it's "High quality wool", but other sellers of the same brush say it's "Extra soft Goat hair"... So it's either goat hair or maybe wool made from goat hair?

And yeah I picked it up after I saw a few reviewers compare it favorably to the posh goat.

Here it is with the Sable and ecotools, it's wet in these pics, but knot is virtually identical size to sable, both are a tad bigger than ecotools (and spread quite a bit more on the face so they feel about 1.5-1.75x the size in use). Oh and it doesn't stink anywhere near as bad as the sable. The sable smells like wet dog whenever it gets wet (smells fine dry though).

Attachments

• $PICT0056.jpg
    $PICT0056.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 104
  • $PICT0057.jpg
    $PICT0057.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Lots of Ebay adds from Chinese resellers call the bristles "wool" no matter what they are made of. I assume the Chinese words for "bristle" and "wool" have similar meanings, and something is lost in translation.

That explains it. But yeah. My Other goat hair, the Sheer Cover Kabuki, was too long loft and the hair matted and destroyed the brush the first time I used it. This one is either a different (thicker?) grade of goat or just is able to avoid that fate by a shorter loft. Nice little brush, had a very good shave this morning with arko/TFS blended and the Italian wet-brush technique Marco posted. It really destroyed the soap. The brush was noticeably heavier after loading (which considering water would be getting lost to evaporation during loading, is pretty impressive). It lathered well, in line with the sable, not as well as the synth in my opinion, though it definitely made MORE lather than the smaller synth does. You know how the synth hair kind of stops bending a few mm above the handle giving it some element of backbone as your press it down. This hair doesn't really do that, it bends out right at the handle, so the only backbone comes from handle pushing the hair, not really much spring to the hair at all. The sable is somewhere in the middle, but closer to this hair than the synth. Like a really really soft badger, the kind that just won't have backbone no matter how dense you pack it.

Top Bottom