What's new

Shave every day?

Some people's face has a low tollerance for the blades. :thumbdown Others like me have a high tollerance for the blade :c9:. You need to experiment and see what works for you. :ninja:

The process of shaving in the opposite of the direction of hair growth is referred to as against the grain. While it is possible with your Double Edge shaver, I personally recommend that you don't do it. Some people's skin will allow them to go against the grain if they need to (I am lucky mine will allow me to do anything I care to do). Perhaps you are also one of the lucky ones.:shaving:

I usually shave every other day and I'm fine with this routine. No matter how much care I put in preparation and in the shave itself, I can't shave for two days in a row without getting some discomfort. I think that no matter how smooth the shave was, my skin still needs the two days to recover from it. If I'm careful, I can go months without a single nick this way.
Sometimes, I have to make some planning. For example, if I think I'll need a fresh shave on Saturday and I last shaved on Wednesday, I will skip Friday.

Shave every day because it is a good habit to get into. If you don't shave every day your skin will stay sensitive- shaving will harden the skin up. It's called exfoliation- slightly irritated skin prompts the body to develope a newer, stronger out layer of dead skin cells, whereas if you tend to do nothing to your skin- your skin becomes sensitive. Your skin might get a little razor burned, irritated or red but just use a little lidocaine, hydrocortisone (if it's really red/itchy) and in time your skin will get used to it. Maybe do two passes a day to start out- one with the grain, the second cross-grain. Going against the grain is necessary for a very close shave, and possible with a DE or injector and enough skill, but will result in ingrown hairs with a multi-blade razor, almost always. For a passable shave it often isn't necessary, just depends on your skin type.

I shave twice a day. Once in the morning, and sometimes at 3-5 PM if I didn't get particularly close (which is common with DE razors, they don't tug and cut so it takes real skill to get close). Often in the evening I will use an electric shaver. Very little skin irritation compared to using a multi-blade razor using this method (DE's, injectors, and foil electrics). When you do get razor burn with a DE it's localized, but with a multi-blade it just tends to be all over (and often due to a dull blade or too many passes). Sometimes my skin is a little red and peely but that's often due to my exfoliation regimen more than shaving, and I back off a little (exfoliation is good to prevent ingrown hairs and acne... two things I still get a little bit of at age 31).

I shave every evening. I just got into wetshaving a few weeks ago and I love the fact that I can shave everyday with no irritation! Something I could definitely never do with my Mach 3.

Well Ive been "wet shaving" since I was 18, so thats 7 years. As soon as I started, I would go once every 5 days because I didnt have too much hair on my face (still don't) at 17-18. I used to get the blue disposable razors with edge gel and shaved with the grain and against the grain. I then went to every 4 days and then every other day. A few years into it, my facial hair got thicker but I always wanted to keep that smooth look, no stubble appearance, that clean-shaven maniquenne look, so I switched to a machIII turbo which was extremely pleasing. I kept a 3 days a week routine but hated the off days. So I went every other day for a bit and for about a year now have been going every day. I still use the machIII turbo because it works but I'm going to be switching to a D/E razor (and brush, real cream, etc) because of the cost of blades and I hate putting cold gel on my face. I just hope the D/E razor can perform close shaves like the MachIII turbo on my face. I'll have to see for myself.

I still use the machIII turbo because it works but I'm going to be switching to a D/E razor (and brush, real cream, etc) because of the cost of blades and I hate putting cold gel on my face. I just hope the D/E razor can perform close shaves like the MachIII turbo on my face. I'll have to see for myself.

Nothing prevents you from using warm lather with a Mach3. You don't need to switch to a DE razor for that if you find out that the Mach3 gives you better results. Chances are, however, that a DE razor will give you at least as good results, but you'll have to work a bit for that. Best - MM

I shave every single day...3 passes each day. Like some of you, I used to have a little razor burn area on my neck when I shaved with the Mach3, but since switching to the DE razor, this has cleared up considerably.

One thing I have noticed when it comes to shaving with a DE razor. Sometimes the regular non-adjustable razor seems to give a better shave than an adjustable. Some of the best shaves I've gotten have been with a Schick Krona and my two GIllette Superspeeds. I have a few adjustable Gillettes (Fatboy, Longboy, Super Adjustable) which I have noticed gave me more irritation when I had them set at setting 1 than at setting 5 which I currently use. I have heard some men starting out mild (3) and then dialing up the blade setting to 7 or 9. Any thoughts on this?

I have 2 Merkur razors, the 15C open comb, and the Vision. Neither razor seems to irritate my skin at all, and the Vision is the best thing since sliced bread:lol:

Just my 2cents, but I have also found that my ATG pass does better when I rinse the razor in cold water before shaving:confused: Don't know how this works, but it does.

I shave every single day... 3 passes each day.

+1

I look forward to the regular daily ritual... the perplexities of choosing razor, soap/cream, and scent... composing and photographing the setup... and, of course, my wonderfully smooth cheeks, chin, upper lip, and neck -- perfect for faceturbation!

Smooth shaving!!

Never thought I could shave everyday when I used a M3.Nowadays I can't bear not to shave.My technique is much better than when I started with a DE razor so I don't really get any irritation just nice looking skin.

I used to be able to only shave every other day, but after working with the Method Shaving products I can shave every day BBS with no irritation...hell it feels like I didn't even shave. I'm a big fan of the Method Shaving products but with alot of guys here they get great shaves using other products, so why fix it if it ain't broke?

I couldn't shave every day with a Mach3 but had to at times for work . . . it left me looking a mess after 3 / 4 days.

Now I'm DE shaving I shave every day. Not because I have to but because I want to.

No irritation.

Forget about getting a super-smooth shave. It isn't the be-all and end-all. Just go for a close, comfortable shave for now.

I had alot more irritation when I used my Gillette Fusion. Although you have to learn a different technique with a DE. So the first couple shaves may be a little rough.

If you start shaving everyday you will get used to it.

i shave every other day. i used to shave like 2 times a day but i got so busy with work that i didn't have energy to do it. i think i'm trying out new blades this weekend. any recommendations?

Kind of whenever I feel like it here, but usually every day or every second day. On occasion I'll vary my remaining stubble into something that I feel like sporting for the next as undetermined period of time. eg: grew a jaw-line beard starting from several weeks ago and yesterday trimmed it to my chin area only. It may or may not make the final cut ;D

Cheers - boingk

V

VR6ofpain

Everyday here.
+1

Though recently I have adopted a single pass with clean-up routine. I found out that a Super Adjustable dialed up to 9 makes for an excellent single pass shave. I started off doing a 3 pass shave, then moved down to a 2 pass. Now I am about 1 pass (though not really BBS anymore).

Top Bottom