What's new

Shave Den Travesty

OldSaw

The wife's investment
That is the second post in two days I've seen from you where you bash williams. Why has your hate for williams been so particularly public lately? If you and will are having some issues, please take it outside :lol::tongue_sm

It comes and goes in cycles. I was just recently discussing Mitchel's Woolfat (MWF) in another thread and the comparison to Williams was brought up. I was practically forced to try it to remind myself what a waste of 99 cents Williams is. I could have given that same dollar to a homeless person and been much further ahead. :lol:

It comes and goes in cycles. I was just recently discussing Mitchel's Woolfat (MWF) in another thread and the comparison to Williams was brought up. I was practically forced to try it to remind myself what a waste of 99 cents Williams is. I could have given that same dollar to a homeless person and been much further ahead. :lol:

for all you know that homeless person took your dollar and bought some williams with it.

how about a crabtree and evelyn soap? i really like the sienna and nomad.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great replies. This is the first time one of my posts has gone into multiple pages! I really appreciate your time.

Based on the responses I am going to place an order for the following:
D.R. Harris & Co Arlington
Penhaligon's English Fern (if I can find it)
Provence Sante
Institute Karite

These choices should more than fill the soap shelf in the shave den. Keeping the bathroom safe manly pursuits a while longer.

Just for the record I won't be buying any Williams...ever:
Anything that cheap must have been made with bio waste.
Mrs. 40C mustn't find out that shaving soap only costs a dollar.
The Houston Aeros use it for practice pucks in the off season.

I've been enjoying TSD Coconut Lime Verbena. A great, easy lathering, nice smelling soap. The other soap I have at the moment is TSD Magnolia. It has a nice smell and the same easy lathering characteristics but all in all I prefer the Cocounut Lime Verbena, (it goes great with a Bay Rum AS)

Provence Sante
Institute Karite

Just for the record I had to change the items based on availability from a single vendor (Fendrihan's)

Arlington
Provence Sante
Kent MWF
TOBS Mr Taylor's

I'll keep the EF and the IK on my short list. Thanks again everyone.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks to everyone for all of the great replies. This is the first time one of my posts has gone into multiple pages! I really appreciate your time.

Provence Sante
Institute Karite

These choices should more than fill the soap shelf in the shave den. Keeping the bathroom safe manly pursuits a while longer.

Just for the record I won't be buying any Williams...ever:
Anything that cheap must have been made with bio waste.
Mrs. 40C mustn't find out that shaving soap only costs a dollar.
The Houston Aeros use it for practice pucks in the off season.

Nice choices, and good call on the Williams.

Just for the record I had to change the items based on availability from a single vendor (Fendrihan's)

Arlington
Provence Sante
Kent MWF
TOBS Mr Taylor's

I'll keep the EF and the IK on my short list. Thanks again everyone.

Since you had to make the change, please rest assured these are equally good choices. Keep Cade on that short list, too. Good stuff!

Dennis, I laughed out loud--twice--at your Williams rants.

(Though, I admit Williams + KMF is superlather that fights amazingly above it's weight.)

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Since you had to make the change, please rest assured these are equally good choices. Keep Cade on that short list, too. Good stuff!

Dennis, I laughed out loud--twice--at your Williams rants.

(Though, I admit Williams + KMF is superlather that fights amazingly above it's weight.)

Superlather is a whole different ballgame. I have used Williams successfully as a superlather with several creams.

The order arrived from Fendrihan's on Monday. BTW they did a great job of packing and put a few extra goodies in the box for me.

I tried the TOBS Mr. Taylors yesterday. Thick rich creamy goodness :biggrin:

I'll start the day with the Kent MWF today.

Love the scent of the Arlington and can't wait to try it. I'm not sure about the Provence Sante it seems very intense. I think I remember reading that this fades a little over time and mellows kind of like Tabac. Has anyone else noticed this?

How about Tabac (or even a Tabac shave stick)? Another vote for L'Occitane Cade.

TABAC is already part of my rotation. It was my introduction to tallow based soaps and I find myself looking forward to when it's turn comes around.

I'll put the L'Occitane Cade on the short list.
---------------
Built a fine lather with the MWF today. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Huge creamy mounds of lather produced in no time.

Last edited:
TABAC is already part of my rotation. It was my introduction to tallow based soaps and I find myself looking forward to when it's turn comes around.

I'll put the L'Occitane Cade on the short list.
---------------
Built a fine lather with the MWF today. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Huge creamy mounds of lather produced in no time.

Ah, sorry I missed that. OK go for the Cade!

TGQ's Savon de Campagne is a great-smelling, great-performing soap. It has a base of lavender and has citrus overtones. Lathers great, and makes for a smooth, comfortable shave. Highly recommended.

I have the soap and cream sample that I looking forward to trying....why did I order so many samples???

Tried the Arlington this morning. OMG. Mounds and MOUNDS of thick rich creamy wonderful smelling lather. After 3 passes with a 39C BBS and no irritation. Mrs. 40c commented on both the shave and the scent. :smile:

I will definitely have to explore more of the DR Harris & Co line.

Last update.

I tried the Provence Sante this morning. The scent seems a little strong for me so I'm hoping it mellows a little with time.

The lather and the shave were excellent. Great big gobs of slick and protective lather.

I'll be keeping some of this around.

Top Bottom