What's new

Shave daily with collectible?

With all the interest here in rare DEs, does anyone really use one regularly?

Do you use a Toggle or an Aristocrat every day? Or do rotate them but mainly use an HD, except for special occasions?

Someone had a Mvltiplex razor at auction. The thing was impressive -- 1st five-bladed razor, but it looked deadly. And you can't buy blades for it at CVS.

See this info:

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/Multiplex/mvltiplex.htm

I shave with an Aristocrat at least once a week, and a Fatboy at least once as well....I say, if you have one, you might as well shave with it!

Most of the time, I shave with either a British Aristocrat #16, a President, or a gold New Big Boy. So, yeah, I guess I do....

-Mo

I have a late '40's Aristocrat in my lineup with a President and a Fat Boy, among more common razors. I took the Toggle out after I got the hang of it, but may bring it back in the lineup sometime later.

I don't have any collectibles yet, but one on the way. My line of thought is this, it is like a vintage/collectible car. Some people only have 'trailer queens' and others use them as their daily drivers, with many in between. I for one have ordered one and will be getting a couple more to try out how well they shave. The one on the way is a red tip, and I'm getting a silver tip and slim soon(hopefully it will be available on Friday. I've asked someone to hold them for me.) I'll be using mine as I feel that you don't need them if you're not going to use them. That being said some are pieces of art that I admire and don't know if I actually had a mint razor, like some I've seen on here, if I'd use it or not. I know some of the str8's that Joel has would look nice on my wall and those COULD be considered collectible. :thumbup: :em2200: :badger: :biggrin: :lol:

With the exception of my Slant/38C kit razor all of the razors in my rotation are various vintage collectibles. An old guy shaving with old razors :cool:

I used to rotate my #66, President, Toggle, HD Rocket, & Senator but for several weeks now I've only been using my Merkur LHC....of course, only my President is in really nice shape, the others are just "shavers" so it's not like I'm rotating thru a $1,000 collection or anything.

(If I can't/don't get off my LHC kick, I may have to start unloading the Gillettes...I've always sworn I wouldn't let them just sit around in the drawer when so many people would be willing to use them)

Using the razors that I do, has never been about what they are worth.

I currently have 3 razors in my rotation. The first being a #66. I love this razor. The weight, the handle, the overall shave that it gives me. I was lucky enough to find it at a local flea market for 15 bucks. I realize that it is quite a valuable razor in the condition that it is in, but I would never sell it and would never cosider removing it from the rotation. It would be very, very difficult for me to justify forking out the kind of money I have seen them go for these days. This is such a great shaver though, that if I had to, I probably would.

My second is an Aristocrat Junior. This was another pawn shop find. Same as above.

Third is an early thick handled Tech.

Wayne

Yup, I use my Toggle and Aristocrat at least once a week. Neither one is in "collectible" condition -- perhaps if I sold them on eBay I could get a small premium but I got them with the intent of shaving with them. I could probably bring myself to plunk down for that pristine, NOS Diplomat... but once I got it I could probably never bring myself to shave with it. And in the end, I understand the collectible attraction for some guys, but for me this is about shaving.

Why ever not. My first DE razor was a Brit #16, which I used exclusively for four years before getting sucked into buying more.

Of course I use them -- the nicer and "minty"-er, the better! After all, you wouldn't marry a "trophy wife" and not...

Happy Hannukah, and smooth shaving!

I use a 1930's new pretty regularly and every "collectible" razor I have (save one NOS SE) I have shaved with at least once.

I certainly do shave with my vintage and collectable razors. Why not? Why should I cheat myself from that pleasure and experience? When we go to meet our Maker do we hava absolute assurance that our shaving stuff one day may not wind up in a landfill? Enjoy what you have while you have it. There are no guarantees in life.

Top Bottom