What's new

Shave cream to recommend: Ursa Major

So I am hesitant to post such a glowing, gushing review, having just joined this website, but I wanted to offer a RAVE of a review for a new shaving cream, Ursa Major Stellar Shave Cream. It is produced of all natural ingredients, in Vermont. I tried a sample of it recently after reading about it in Valet. I got the sample (1 oz.) a few days later, and gave it a shot. WOW.

Now, I've tried my share of creams: Musgo Real, Taylor's of Old Bond Street, Proraso, and a few others that have faded into memory. They were fine, but none of them could tame my wicked razor burn. After two weeks with Ursa Major...it's gone. Completely. No more angry red bumps, no more blood on the collar(s) of my shirts. It's a miracle. And the scent is great--fir, mostly, with some ginger as well.

Anyway, I'll ease off--don't want to come across as a paid shill, as I said. Some weeks ago Valet had a notice saying they were giving out free samples--dunno if they've got any left, but folks should drop them a note and see if they'll hook you up. My experience is that they are a small, friendly company, making a quality product here in the USA. Honestly, I can't recommend it highly enough.

http://shop.ursamajormen.com/products/stellar-shave-cream/

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B, Dave J.!

Hope you don't mind me asking--are you associated with Ursa Major?

Nice to hear that you got good results with this product. What's your shaving routine like?

I should note: I'm not at all affiliated with them--I've just been so happy to find something that made my razor burn go away...it's hard to describe just how bad it was...I had taken to waking up early in the morning to shave because it would take a good couple of hours for it to fade enough to be presentable at work. Ah....memories.

I made the switch from multi-blade monstrosities a few years ago, and use a Merkur 38c razor each morning. I like Feather blades when I'm feeling well off enough to buy them, but my everyday blade is a made-in-Israel Performa.

As far as contacting Ursa Major as someone asked above, I just emailed their general address on the website.

I read on their site that the makers used to work at Bumble & Bumble, so I imagine they know their stuff. Do you use a brush with the cream, or do you just spread it on by hand.

I suppose you could use a brush if you had a mug and wanted to work up a decent lather, but I just put a dollop (dime sized, maybe) in my hand and rub it on my face with a few drops of warm water. A little goes a long way, I've found. (I got the 1 oz sample they sent me to last 2 weeks of M-F shaving.)

I see they just did their 100th order online. So it looks like this company just and I mean just started in the last month or so.

Welcome to B&B!

The usually cause of razor burn is too much pressure. Let the tool do the work, and you will have lots of nice options for creams and soaps.

I see they just did their 100th order online. So it looks like this company just and I mean just started in the last month or so.

I read a little excerpt about them a week or so ago. You're right...they're a brand new company. This is their only product for now, but supposedly they're going to have a whole range of men's stuff.

So Dave, welcome to B&B. No doubt you liked the way the cream performed for you, and that's great. But I've gotta ask you, did you order yourself a tube when the sample ran out? Do you think it's worth the price?

I suppose you could use a brush if you had a mug and wanted to work up a decent lather, but I just put a dollop (dime sized, maybe) in my hand and rub it on my face with a few drops of warm water. A little goes a long way, I've found. (I got the 1 oz sample they sent me to last 2 weeks of M-F shaving.)

i emailed them about using it with a brush and the response indicated it was only formulated to be used brushless.

I've got a sample headed my way. I'm always interested in something new. Even brushless products. Once in a while I'm in the mood to just rub something good all over my face and shave away. In the end, it's almost all good, there's just some that's better than others.

Emailed the company for a sample on Monday night and received a reply the following day. Received the sample on Wednesday. The package had a sample bottle wrapped in nice packing with a sprig of pine tree for effect. It also included a cool company sticker and a nice, hand written note. I used the cream yesterday night. Smells nice, very slick, and moisturizing. I was in a bit of a rush and forgot aftershave but my face felt fine the rest of the night. Just finished using a few minutes ago for my second time. Still nice, but seems to have little cushion. I feel like the blade is a lot rougher on my face since the cream is so thin. However, I feel no irritation at all, so there is definitely something to it. I like it a heck of a lot more than Cremo. But, I can't get over the whole brush-less thing, after using a brush for almost a year, it just seems boring and less satisfying without one. Overall, I think its a nice product that performs well for its intended use. Also, the customer service gets an A+.

Forgive my scepticism, but its extremely unlikely that switching from TOBS, Musgo or similar quality products to a brushless cream will miraculously cure "angry red bumps...and blood on the collar" - those things are the result of poor shaving technique, not the brand of cream you're using.

Top Bottom