What's new

Shave Comparison - DE vs SE

Thanks to you folks, I've been buying and using both vintage DE & SE razors lately. I was certain that my Gillette SS Red Tip with Astra SP (2nd use) would easily beat out the Gem Micromatic (MMOC) with a Gem Personna blade (2nd use). I lathered up with Haslinger Schafmilch and shaved one side of my face with the Gillette, and the other side with the Gem. After 3 passes each, what I found was surprising. While the Gem took a few more clean-up passes, when the shave was done and the Nivea balm was applied, I couldn't tell the difference between the two. There was a vast difference in how the razors felt during the shave, but the results were identical, a smooth & respectable shave.

I think I'll also try a comparison with soaps - Mike's (on the left side of my face) vs Stirling (on the right side) using a Gillette Tech (pre-war). That's next...

Last edited:
Which Gem Micromatic? The Open Comb can get closer than average, but it takes some practice to get to that point. The Clog-Pruf and Flying Wing Micromatics are a bit milder. The Red Tip works very well, too, of course.

The real test is how many hours the shave lasts before you get a shadow.

Enjoy experimenting. It's part of the fun.

My Schick injectors outshave any of my DE’s with the possible exception of the Yuma in ideal conditions. And the ease with which the Schicks accomplish their task is unparalleled. I recommend that wet shavers who are having difficulty mastering DE technique switch over to a Schick injector, for which no technique is required.

I too have recently started trying SE razors after 14 years of DE and intermittent AC use.

What I want is a smooth, long lasting shave with as little work as possible short of going the electric razor route :)

This is not to say I don't enjoy the process classic shaving, I just don't want to have to think too much to get the results.

Anyway, at the moment my slants and GEMs are in battle. My honest opinion is that my slants haven't required nearly the amount of nuance in technique to achieve some of the best shave results I've ever experienced. As long as I keep the handle mostly parallel to the skin the blade will be in an optimal orientation to shave efficiently. I can do this fast and barely have to be concious!

The slants I use are ones that resulted from a "Slant vs. DE Battle" I performed last month. The resulting winners have completely displaced my traditional DEs (R41s (2011/13), DE89, Yaqi Mellon OC) and Feather AC SS. The finalists are a Fatip Lo Storto Original (open comb) and Razorock Superslant L3 with either Muhle standard or Razorock Superknurl handle. I switch handles depending on how much pressure I want the razor head to apply to my face without me actively managing it. The lighter Muhle handle allows me more control. Whereas the heavy Superknurl plants the razor head firmly to my face and I just guide the thing around against gravity.

To the GEMs: 1924, Micromatic closed-bar Flying Wing with Guiding Eye and Micromatic Open Comb loaded with Personna GEM coated blades.

Firstly, for me they're a bit more finicky to get the hairs under my nose due to the head size. Next, I do enjoy the more audible cutting sound from the head plate. It's a great indicator of what's going on while the shave is happening. They were all less than $20/razor. I'm still green with using them, but they do require a different technique to engrain before they become as mindless as my slants. The results have been very good, though I do find that I miss clearing some spots, but I think this is related to my technique requiring more time and the mirror/lighting in my bathroom sucks - not the razors' fault!

The Schicks!: I was fortunate enough to receive a group of three vintage Schick's from a kind B&B member recently, but have yet to put them to use. I expect to do that within the next couple of days as I onboard a new Ariana & Evans St. Bart's soap. My technique will have to adapt accordingly, but I suspect the hair under my nose won't be problematic given the very slim head size. Yay!

Through all this latest razor testing over the last two months has brought me to conclude that I prefer razors that use a rigid blade and require minimal technique demands. Yes, I did develop a sense of how to get an optimal shave from my non-slant DE's but the sweet spot tended to be narrow and on either side was either pushing lather around or drawing blood. With the slants I immediately found their sweet spot and either side of it was of no consequence. My Feather AC is awesome, but I never used it enough to have the technique be second nature and it just required more time and reverence than I have been willing to give. My other razors got me where I wanted to go more effortlessly. So, bye bye AC :)

Yes, I considered getting a "traditional" razor that takes AC blades like the Razorock Hawk, but the blades are more costly and the extra width isn't enough of a selling point. Despite the Razorock Superslant being the most expensive razor I've ever had, the ease of results have helped cool the sting of the bill and obviously the DE blade cheapness and variety are a value to me. The vintage GEMs/Schicks are so inexpensive that they make me feel like a dope for having a twinkle in my eye for any of the boutique razors, my Suplerslant included. Maybe they'll send it to the BST chopping block? Time will tell...

I'll surely be reporting back on my Schick adventures after I've had some time with them. I'll see which of all of these really provides me the easiest path to smooth, long lasting results with the least amount of effort. I think I'm close to finding out!

My Schick injectors outshave any of my DE’s with the possible exception of the Yuma in ideal conditions. And the ease with which the Schicks accomplish their task is unparalleled. I recommend that wet shavers who are having difficulty mastering DE technique switch over to a Schick injector, for which no technique is required.

I admit, I have been curious about Shick injectors myself. This is what my father used.

I was looking at them on Amazon recently. Is there a handle on Amazon that you would recommend?

I admit, I have been curious about Shick injectors myself. This is what my father used.

I was looking at them on Amazon recently. Is there a handle on Amazon that you would recommend?

The old G and E models are nice. I can also strongly suggest the Schick "Grip" which is an L series with its Tennis/Raquetball grip which I tend to think is an easier transition from classic DE razors.

The rigidity of the SE razors and blades I have makes DE use for myself infrequent because I simply get awesome shaves with minimal effort with my SE razors.

I am divided at the moment on whether I prefer the Injector or AC formats most. My AC razor (Yaqi) is a love/hate relationship so, I am looking and pondering my options with a new AC razor purchase.

The old G and E models are nice. I can also strongly suggest the Schick "Grip" which is an L series with its Tennis/Raquetball grip which I tend to think is an easier transition from classic DE razors.

I profess total ignorance on this.

Buying new, is there anything on Amazon that would fill the bill at a reasonable price?

I profess total ignorance on this.

Buying new, is there anything on Amazon that would fill the bill at a reasonable price?

My racquetball grip Schick was basically NIB for $20. Don't know where you would find a better deal than that.

Any thoughts about a Yaqi Excalibur with AC blades?

There is a Chinese-made Schick injector clone for sale on Amazon. Not sure how good it is, though. Parker and Supply also sell injectors.

Which is the problem. I would like a recommendation from someone who knows and has actual hands-on experience with a new, reasonably priced SE razor.

There are a few in Amazon but never have shaved with a SE myself, I would be buying blind.

Shave Classic Single Edge Razor Handle and 1 Ct. Injector Blade + Pack of 7 Ct. Schick Injector Refill Blade ! Razor Compatible with Schick Injector Razor Blades !

proxy.php

I have a Parker razor and am OK with their build quality. Unfortunately, thus Item is now showing as unavailable.

Parker Safety Razor, Parker’s Adjustable Injector Razor – Single Edge Adjustable Safety Razor – 20 Parker Injector Razor Blades Included – Customize your shave with a turn of the dial

proxy.php

I would also be fine with buying from a regular company that is located in the United States (or possibly Canada).

I don't wish to buy used or from an overseas company.

If that is not possible, then I will let it pass.

An additional bonus is that the Supply razors have a 100 return policy. That's part of what got me to try their SE, and I ended up really liking it. It is one of my smoothest shavers and the SE is also very safe. Since injectors shave different than DEs, it is a great one to start with. The design is also great in that it lets the lather through and also never clogs. I recommend it!

Probably not but is it something that I can buy on Amazon that is NIB?
Maybe on eBay but not Amazon.

If it must be new, it will cost a lot more than a Schick. A Schick injector that isn't "pretty" can be found occasionally for $5. A little soap and an old toothbrush will make it sparkle but, it won't be a Social Media pretty superstar.

A Supply Co Injector will run ~$60. I can't speak to the Parkers as I have never seen one of their Injectors in person.

Which is the problem. I would like a recommendation from someone who knows and has actual hands-on experience with a new, reasonably priced SE razor.

There are a few in Amazon but never have shaved with a SE myself, I would be buying blind.

Shave Classic Single Edge Razor Handle and 1 Ct. Injector Blade + Pack of 7 Ct. Schick Injector Refill Blade ! Razor Compatible with Schick Injector Razor Blades !

proxy.php

I have a Parker razor and am OK with their build quality. Unfortunately, thus Item is now showing as unavailable.

Parker Safety Razor, Parker’s Adjustable Injector Razor – Single Edge Adjustable Safety Razor – 20 Parker Injector Razor Blades Included – Customize your shave with a turn of the dial

proxy.php

I would also be fine with buying from a regular company that is located in the United States (or possibly Canada).

I don't wish to buy used or from an overseas company.

If that is not possible, then I will let it pass.
I’ve tried that injector and I ended up throwing it out. It was that bad. The blade stops were poor and the blade would not position properly. Way too many cuts and nicks.

The Parker adjustable was okay, but too mild for me. I ended up selling it here on the BST.

Look for an NOS Schick if you don’t want a used razor. Either way, NOS or used Schick is a great razor. Take the plunge!

I’ve tried that injector and I ended up throwing it out. It was that bad. The blade stops were poor and the blade would not position properly. Way too many cuts and nicks.

I wasn't getting a good feeling about that one.

The Parker adjustable was okay, but too mild for me. I ended up selling it here on the BST.

I figured the Parker as a possible score. Oddly, for whatever reason, they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I believe that Parker’s are made in India, so I can't quite understand what the shortage might be?

Maggard seems to have a few in stock.

Top Bottom