What's new

Shave Brush

I started my de shaving journey two years ago with a small badger brush. About 6 months ago I switched to a larger synthetic brush because I could face lather much more efficiently. My neck still gives me some problems and I’m wondering if anyone thinks a large badger brush would help reduce some irritation? Or am I “splitting hairs” on this one? 😂

You did not mention either the type of badger brush you have or the type of synthetic brush you have. that can make a lot of difference. My face is very sensitive, so I minimize irritation by generating my lather in a bowl and then painting the lather on my face.

My softest badger brush is a Maggard SHD two-band badger that has gel tips, I have an Omega 10098 Professional boar brush that is well broken in an is nearly as soft as the SHD badger. My softest synthetic knot is a boss knot, no scritch, but it does have some scrubbiness.

I like larger knots; 24-26mm is my preferred size although some like smaller knots and some like larger. My Maggard SHD is 28mm and it is huge when fully bloomed. I love it, but which I had gotten a 24-26mm knot instead. That is one you should consider, but there are certainly others as well. I am sure you will get more recommendations.

I find myself getting irritated from synthetics because they take forever to face-lather IME, some worse than others. My med-large Simpson Commodore X3 is the fastest lathering brush I’ve ever tried and super soft too.

Not all badgers are created equal though. I also own a super dense Maseto badger brush that gives me brush burn from the intense face-feel.

I started my de shaving journey two years ago with a small badger brush. About 6 months ago I switched to a larger synthetic brush because I could face lather much more efficiently. My neck still gives me some problems and I’m wondering if anyone thinks a large badger brush would help reduce some irritation? Or am I “splitting hairs” on this one? 😂
The only time I’ve felt brush irritation is when breaking in a brush. I have sensitive neck skin and before I switched to cold water shaving some soaps would cause neck irritation. The same soaps are ok with cold water. Have you ever tried a cold water shave?

What kind of synthetic brush are you using? There are plenty of soft synthetics and badgers out there. The irritation really depends on the specific brush. I tried one synthetic that felt like wires but I also have like 8 others that feel like soft clouds on the face.

My face does better with badgers: just not any badgers! Some like them, but I find that pure badger simply has too much ’scritch’ for my skin. The more expensive grades work better.

Bottom line IMO is that it is worth trying a variety of options to see what works best for you! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I originally started with bowl lathering but then went to face lathering because I thought it would work in the lather better instead of painting it on. Especially with the neck area. With the larger synthetic it definitely was quicker getting a good lather.

To answer JoWolf, I have tried some cold water shaves, but didn't really feel like it made a lot of difference. Did you feel like that improved any neck problems? The problem with my neck area is that the hairs run flat and quite a few get missed after doing WTG and two XTG. I avoid ATG but these hairs will often get ingrown if not caught. Ugh!

Of course you have to explore the world of badgers :biggrin1:
Start at the top e.g. Shavemac silvertip 2-band and save all the money you could possibly spend on cheap options. In the end you will get a high end badger anyway and looking back you will have wasted money on the ones that will sit on the shelf. A soft tipped badger and a non irritating shave cream will be gentle to your skin. :thumbup1:

That Razorock brush is pretty soft, softer than many badger brushes. I don't think switching brushes will solve your irritation problem. The neck area is where people have the most problems.

In some cases you can spend $12 on a synthetic or boar brush and get a decent brush. That is seldom the case with a badger brush. The brush you found on Amazon is pure badger, the lowest quality level of badger hair. While those with less sensitive skin might love pure badger brushes, they are seldom suited for those with sensitive skin. Also, inexpensive badger brushes are either small diameter or have less densely packed hairs making them floppy.

Although some badger brushes can cost well over $100, it is not necessary to spend that much. There are some nice options in the $50-100 range. There are a few in the $30-50 range, but I suggest you avoid any badger brush under 30$. If you budget requires you to limit your spending, you are better off getting a synthetic or boar brush. To synthetic brushes that work well for sensitive skin are the Tuxedo knot and the SilverSynth knot, both of which are soft, yet still retain some backbone.

I find myself getting irritated from synthetics because they take forever to face-lather IME, some worse than others. My med-large Simpson Commodore X3 is the fastest lathering brush I’ve ever tried and super soft too.

Not all badgers are created equal though. I also own a super dense Maseto badger brush that gives me brush burn from the intense face-feel.

Totally agree on the X3 - I have sensitive skin & my favourite brush which is Best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My face does better with badgers: just not any badgers! Some like them, but I find that pure badger simply has too much ’scritch’ for my skin. The more expensive grades work better.

Bottom line IMO is that it is worth trying a variety of options to see what works best for you! :thumbup: :thumbup:

That could work out a tad expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom