What's new

Shave Brush Ramblings ( Cleaning, Disinfecting & Conditioning a Shave Brush)

Shave Brush Ramblings ( Cleaning, Disinfecting & Conditioning a Shave Brush)

For my friends always in need of something to read in the “Wash”room.

After purchasing many shave brushes over time I was concerned about sterilizing these brushes, as all brushes of unknown origin should be sterilized for sanitation, I then thought, Well, why not consider the best way to Clean, Sterilize, and Condition all of these brushes (including my own) at once. Over time, all brushes will need some form of care and maintenance. So I decided on one solution that fits all shave brushes, those of your own, and those of others, (especially of unknown origin).

I began searching the internet for answers. As usual, the forums were all over the map. So it was back to the method that has work for me for most of my BI life, (Before Internet). Yes Virginia, there was life before the internet.

I tried many different things before settling on the following procedure. It works extremely well.

1. Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and Borax (A Detergent Booster) (I use Dawn, (removes the grease ya’ know) but this is your choice.
    1. Add a few drops (or more) of DW liquid in a clear wide mouth cup or glass and add water to about half with a tsp. of Borax. (You are soaking the brush here, not the handle).
    2. Add the brush and adjust the level to include the bristles only. Allow the brush to soak for about 10 minutes. Agitate and swirl the brush at intervals.
    3. After soaking, remove the brush and rinse the glass or cup, then use a toothbrush or similar to clean around the base and brush outward (never toward the handle, you will break the bristles) to remove any scum that has collected over the years of lax rinsing and improper storage, also don’t forget to scrub the handle at this time. Then completely rinse the brush under hot or warm water until no trace of suds remain.

1. Hydrogen Peroxide (A Disinfectant)
    1. Partially refill the clear container with Hydrogen Peroxide (full strength) and dip & swirl the brush for a couple of minutes to completely sanitize the brush. Watch for residue in the container, if dirty, empty and refill with peroxide. Rinse thoroughly and shake the solution dry. Empty the container.

1. Baking Soda (A Cleaner)
    1. Partially refill the container with a mixture of a TBSP of baking soda and water, stir well to clear. Add brush, this will clean the brush of Peroxide and help soften the bristles.
    2. Dip & Swirl…repeat (you should know the drill by now). Empty and rinse the container, you are finished with it.
    3. Rinse the brush.

1. Vinegar (A Softener)
    1. Partially refill the container with White Distilled Vinegar (My Choice) and submerge the brush to neutralize and remove the last remaining soap residue. This will also soften the bristles, Dip & Swirl…repeat… Watch for residue in the vinegar. Repeat until clean.
    2. Swirl the brush and squeeze it to saturate the bristles, when you are satisfied the brush is sufficiently cleaned and softened, rinse with warm water, shake, and towel (paper) dry and hang to finish drying. Just feel the brush, you will love it.

NOTE: Always, Hang a brush, NEVER stand it on the end of the handle to dry, that’s how the soap gets caked in the bottom of the brush.

You now have the cleanest and smoothest brush ever (even better than new).

Dave Taylor

Good information, thanks for taking the time to post. I have a couple of brushes that I am going to reek not but before I do so I would like to give them a use to see what they are like, now I've got a plan to follow.

Thanks.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Nice write up, many of your techniques can be found in the B&B Wiki, as referenced in my signature. However, I would caution against using full strength hydrogen peroxide on a brush. If it is not good for human hair, I would be hesitant to use it on my brush.

The use of full strength Hydrogen Peroxide is used as a strong disinfectant and as mentioned, it is rinsed out thoroughly in the next step. I have never damaged any brush with this procedure and all of the brushes remain soft and pliable long thereafter as long as they are rinsed properly after each shave.

I also do not use shampoo and conditioner for cleaning because I am trying to keep the chemicals and soap out of the brushes, not put them back in.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Dave

I'm sure that I'm in the minority here, but I have never cleaned/disinfected a brush. Sure, some of them have an organic smell to them for the first week or so, but it always fades quickly. It reminds me of the smell of wet wool, which many of us older folks will remember from the days that wool overcoats were the norm. The disinfection issue has always seemed unnecessary as well. It's not as if I'm planning to use the brush to prepare food; it just transports soap to my face. Maybe the brush would break in faster if I followed one or more of those steps, but I've never felt the need to do so.

This is probably true for new brushes Steve, but germs and viruses live in abundance in used brushes. If you nick your face and continue to use a brush of unknown origin, especially those purchased from others, who knows what the results may be? Remember your Mother's words..."Put that down, you don't know where that's been".

It's just a precaution, and it cleans, refreshes, restores softness and peace of mind. Smells good too....LOL

Last edited:
Neither my father nor my grandfathers cleaned their brushes. I only do it once in while. I agree with you Steve.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Seems a bit excessive to me. I would be hesitant to purchase a used brush from someone that had 'cleaned' it in such a way.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Cleaning and conditioning are feasible, but disinfecting seems infeasible without damaging it (or your skin)

I hope you realize that this article is nearly 30 years old, I doubt any hospital is using brushes for shaving these days anymore. Like barbers do not use brushes for shaving, at least they do not use the same brush for different customers; they may have storage for individual brushes for the regular customers.

Folks, This procedure is not law. Do as you wish with your own brush. I suggest this because I prefer to clean and disinfect brushes purchase from an unknown origin with (who knows what) imbeded in them. You can even lick yours clean if you want. If you see and feel the before and after there is a major difference. It's like all of my brushes are now clean and very soft (without damage). Still using one of the daily for the last 10 years.

I see two different claims so let me reply to each:
  1. Subjective comfort and cleanness: this is easily achievable and recommended at least for keeping the brush serviceable for a long time. All manufacturers I know of recommend proper maintenance, including cleaning.
  2. Shaving brushes and risk of infection. According to a recent article Anthrax Cases Associated with Animal-Hair Shaving Brushes - https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/23/5/16-1554_article " Risk from brushes manufactured in the United States after 1930 and well-used (even vintage) brushes would seem to be extremely low. We do not recommend trying to disinfect vintage brushes at home because the risks associated with various combinations of steam, pressure, and formaldehyde are likely to outweigh possible benefits". As to how to prevent skin infection, you can refer to a contemporary article Bone & Joint - https://online.boneandjoint.org.uk/doi/abs/10.1302/0301-620x.99b10.bjj-2017-0291.r1 . Basically treat the skin beforehand if you need to exclude the worst scenario as good as possible. Again, not necessary in practice. With this regard,
  3. @Rudy Vey: can you point to a recent scientific study where there is a procedure proven both effective and safe (to disinfect brushes)? The point of the article was the latter half of the abstract, namely, the efficacy of household disinfectants on brushes.
  4. @dta116: I also like to keep my tools clean, like you. My claim was not that it is bad practice to clean. My claim was that you need to be aware of the limitations of vinegar or (3% ?) hydrogen peroxide for "disinfection" of whatever surface, brushes included. For example: Staphylococcus aureus is one of the most common organisms on human skin and one of the most common causes of skin infection when the skin is cut. According to this (old) article, Hydrogen peroxide kills Staphylococcus aureus by reacting with staphylococcal iron to form hydroxyl radical. - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021925819689271, it can be killed by hydrogen peroxide. Please pay attention to the time and concentration required- a "couple of minutes" might not be enough to "completely sanitize" a brush.

Top Bottom