What's new

Shave brush clean made easy with citric acid

After reading and using this encyclopedia of shaving called „Badger & Blade” I finally take the liberty to add a few pages to it – the community shall decide if it is worthy or not. ;)

A very effective and easy tip for keeping your shaving brush clean:

After each shave while you proceed with the aftershave part of the routine, soak the brush in warm water again – and add some (somewhat less than a teaspoon) amount of citric acid to the water. (You can get them for a few cents.)

It immediately dissolves the remaining soap or cream from the bristles before they would get a chance to build up a residue on them.

After you finish with the aftershave process (like alum, aftershave, razor clean etc.) you rinse the brush under clean water – and done!

No need for any deep-cleaning, borax, vinegar, shampoo or anything. It’s a cheap and comfortable method I highly recommend trying.

This for both animal hair and synthetics?
Yes it does; the concept is not letting soap or cream residue build up on the bristles regardless of their material. If it doesn't build in the first place you won't have to clean it later.

Good tip. I’ll give it a try.

But no chance I’ll do it every day.
I shave daily as well - it fits nicely to the routine, and I think it works best if used at least on a two-day basis, otherwise it won't be effective. And as I mentioned really small citric acid amount is needed as with this method you don't leave time for residue to build up so it comes off easily. If residue is already there then you have to resort to the usual methods which I find more uncomfortable.

Every once in a while I take one of my most used badger brushes into the shower and shampoo. I'll try this method, thanks.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
After reading and using this encyclopedia of shaving called „Badger & Blade” I finally take the liberty to add a few pages to it – the community shall decide if it is worthy or not. ;)

A very effective and easy tip for keeping your shaving brush clean:

After each shave while you proceed with the aftershave part of the routine, soak the brush in warm water again – and add some (somewhat less than a teaspoon) amount of citric acid to the water. (You can get them for a few cents.)

It immediately dissolves the remaining soap or cream from the bristles before they would get a chance to build up a residue on them.

After you finish with the aftershave process (like alum, aftershave, razor clean etc.) you rinse the brush under clean water – and done!

No need for any deep-cleaning, borax, vinegar, shampoo or anything. It’s a cheap and comfortable method I highly recommend trying.
I clean my brush with shave soap daily.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I clean my brush with shave soap daily.
+1....one must rinse the brush very well after use with warm, so all the soap/cream residue comes out of the brush. I have never seen the need, or cleaned my brushes. But, I have seen in my restoration work a lot of brushes that looked extremely bad....lots of soap residue in the knots and a lot of just schmutz on the handle. I think negligence in daily maintenance is what makes one have to clean their brushes from time to time to remove all the crap they leave in after use.

+1....one must rinse the brush very well after use with warm, so all the soap/cream residue comes out of the brush. I have never seen the need, or cleaned my brushes. But, I have seen in my restoration work a lot of brushes that looked extremely bad....lots of soap residue in the knots and a lot of just schmutz on the handle. I think negligence in daily maintenance is what makes one have to clean their brushes from time to time to remove all the crap they leave in after use.
Well, I have cleaned my brushes with warm water after each use - actually for me it's part of the ritual to keep the equipment in nice and perfect shape. Still, residue built up at the bases of the knots, that's why I upgraded from the "wash well with warm water" method. But it's up to you, YMMV you know...

I thoroughly rinse out my brushes after every use to prevent soap residue to built up.
From time to time (like every 3-4 month) I give them a treatment with light citiric acid solution to get rid of lime/chalk/carbonate built up. This refreshes the performance of the brushes.
How often you need to do this, depends on the water hardness of your tab water. Doing a citric acid rinse or even soak as a daily routine, well I don't think that this is needed unless your water is so hard you hear "clonk ... clonk ...clonk" every time you open your faucet.:lol:

Reactions: nav

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I thoroughly rinse out my brushes after every use to prevent soap residue to built up.
From time to time (like every 3-4 month) I give them a treatment with light citiric acid solution to get rid of lime/chalk/carbonate built up. This refreshes the performance of the brushes.
How often you need to do this, depends on the water hardness of your tab water. Doing a citric acid rinse or even soak as a daily routine, well I don't think that this is needed unless your water is so hard you hear "clonk ... clonk ...clonk" every time you open your faucet.:lol:
How much citric acid do you use in the brush cleaning solution?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hold on. We use a citric acid bath spray cleaner ... And yes, it's very effective on sink soap scum. Makes your fingers sting if you have cuts.(Duh, but yowwwwsws!, if)

AA

I could see this being a good option for those looking to get an old vintage brush back to life. I try and take decent enough care of my new brushes by rinsing them out thoroughly after each use. I find the best way once all of the obvious lather has been rinsed off is to fill a mug or lather bowl with warm running water and pump the brush up and down a couple times then take it out and squeeze the knot gently. Usually 2 or 3 goes at this process and the water comes out of the knot crystal clear.

I could see this being a good option for those looking to get an old vintage brush back to life. I try and take decent enough care of my new brushes by rinsing them out thoroughly after each use. I find the best way once all of the obvious lather has been rinsed off is to fill a mug or lather bowl with warm running water and pump the brush up and down a couple times then take it out and squeeze the knot gently. Usually 2 or 3 goes at this process and the water comes out of the knot crystal clear.

If you live in a hard water area, the water will run out of the knot crystal clear. Once it has dried on the hair or bristles and you brush with you hand over the knot preferably in front of a dark background, you will see cloud of fine dust. This is chalk, carbonate salts, minerals that vary slightly depending on where you live. You can either rinse with distilled water or have to do an acid cleaning once in a while.

Sounds like a great idea to add to the daily routine. I perform my shave like a ritual & not a chore. It was always a PITA when I was working, but now its a wonderful experience. I always look forward to the final clean up knowing that if you take care of your tools, you'll always get the best possible shave.

How much citric acid do you use in the brush cleaning solution?
About 1 teaspoon citric acid (crist.) in a large cup (probably 300ml) of water, works fine.:thumbsup:
:facep:That's A LOT of Citric Acid!

I have tap water so hard you can just about stand your spoon up in it (OK, maybe a slight exaggeration).

Every shave I add ≤¼ tsp to 5 liters of warm/hot water (my bathroom sink [full] holds 5 liters) twice... one sinkful for the shave and the second one for cleaning up.

Before using CA all my brushes would show clouds of dust like this when dry:
This included brand new brushes which were simply cleaned, lathered, and rinsed prior to their first shave. I have always rinsed my brushes meticulously after each shave.

Since starting my CA experiment (on March 21, 2018) my brushes have never shown clouds of dust (due to the nasty hard water chemicals that cling to the brush hair/bristle/fiber and the soap that clings to those chemicals) any more... and they smell beautifully fresh, rather than of the shaving soap last used.

FOOTNOTE
:hand: Obviously the OP's water is nowhere near as hard as mine. If I rinsed my brush under the tap to finish, I'd be back at square one.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
:facep:That's A LOT of Citric Acid!

I have tap water so hard you can just about stand your spoon up in it (OK, maybe a slight exaggeration).

Every shave I add ≤¼ tsp to 5 liters of warm/hot water (my bathroom sink [full] holds 5 liters) twice... one sinkful for the shave and the second one for cleaning up.

Before using CA all my brushes would show clouds of dust like this when dry:
This included brand new brushes which were simply cleaned, lathered, and rinsed prior to their first shave. I have always rinsed my brushes meticulously after each shave.

Since starting my CA experiment (on March 21, 2018) my brushes have never shown clouds of dust (due to the nasty hard water chemicals that cling to the brush hair/bristle/fiber and the soap that clings to those chemicals) any more... and they smell beautifully fresh, rather than of the shaving soap last used.

FOOTNOTE

:hand: Obviously the OP's water is nowhere near as hard as mine. If I rinsed my brush under the tap to finish, I'd be back at square one.

Thank you Cal. Appreciate your experience and the guidance. :)

Reactions: Cal
Top Bottom