What's new

shave bowls

So I made a coconut bowl in 20 minutes. I hate coconut, so the insides were useless to me. Here's what I did:
1. Hold the coconut in a vice, enough pressure to keep it from moving but not so tight that you crack it.
2. Drill a few holes in the end you won't be using. Drain the liquid.
3. Saw through the coconut where you deem appropriate.
4. Remove the pulp quickly with a drill and 2" wire wheel. This will also add circular lines to the inside of the bowl, improving "grip" for your soap.
5. Repeat to remove the "hairs" on the outside.
6. Use a Dremel or plain sandpaper to smooth the edges of the bowl's lip.
7. Lightly sand the outside.
8. Wipe all of the dust off with a rag dipped in acetone.
9. I used MinWax for the outside and teak oil for the inside.
10. Let dry 24 hours before using.

20 minutes and it's done. And you don't have to eat that nasty pulp. Says a pirate who hates coconuts.

So I made a coconut bowl in 20 minutes. I hate coconut, so the insides were useless to me. Here's what I did:
1. Hold the coconut in a vice, enough pressure to keep it from moving but not so tight that you crack it.
2. Drill a few holes in the end you won't be using. Drain the liquid.
3. Saw through the coconut where you deem appropriate.
4. Remove the pulp quickly with a drill and 2" wire wheel. This will also add circular lines to the inside of the bowl, improving "grip" for your soap.
5. Repeat to remove the "hairs" on the outside.
6. Use a Dremel or plain sandpaper to smooth the edges of the bowl's lip.
7. Lightly sand the outside.
8. Wipe all of the dust off with a rag dipped in acetone.
9. I used MinWax for the outside and teak oil for the inside.
10. Let dry 24 hours before using.

20 minutes and it's done. And you don't have to eat that nasty pulp. Says a pirate who hates coconuts.
Any pics mate?

Any pics mate?
Similar to this one...
1609859291932.png

^^^The uneven lip in the second photo has been fixed. Gotta be a perfect 75¢ bowl. ^^^
Chopping with a cleaver, by setting the heel into the nut, then twisting the cleaver, will cleave a nice straight edged rim, natural to the nuts formation. Then if needed they sand very easily on a flat surface.

the cleaving to open method can be found on youtube. Makes it very quick and simple.

Good job there on that!

Chopping with a cleaver, by setting the heel into the nut, then twisting the cleaver, will cleave a nice straight edged rim, natural to the nuts formation. Then if needed they sand very easily on a flat surface.

the cleaving to open method can be found on youtube. Makes it very quick and simple.

Good job there on that!
Which axis are you chopping on to get a nice, straight edge? The long axis or the short axis?

❓

I'm late to the party here, but I'll post up anyway. I've had this bowl for a while. I've looked a little to learn about it, but so far, nothing. The wooden bowl has the letters etched or burned into the lid & the Williams logo in the center is a decal of some type. I've used it for decor, not for lathering.
IMG_4201.jpg
IMG_4199.jpg

Which axis are you chopping on to get a nice, straight edge? The long axis or the short axis?

❓
It will want to split Horizontally around its circumference. Choose where you want the top removed at, plant the heel in that orientation, then give a twist to the heel of the blade to prise it apart.

Looks like they are a lot more trouble then they're worth, check out the list of rules.

HOW TO USE & LOOK AFTER YOUR HANDMADE BOWL
Take a Small Brush
Lather the soaps with a drop of water until desirable rich cream lather

You Should Do:
Use your horn bowl often
Wash every time before use
Hand-wash only
Use Towel gently right after wash
Clean your horn items in lukewarm running water without soap or solvents. Dry off the items directly
Keep your horn bowl separate from sharp utensils

You Shouldn’t do:
Never clean horn items in a dish washer
Never soak horn item in a tub. You may dip the items in cold or lukewarm water, but no more than that and dry off immediately
Never use hot water
Never allow your horn items to sit for prolonged periods in fluids, e.g. jams, salads, or dressings
Avoid leaving horn items in direct sunlight or near heat sources

How to neutralize the odour If your bowl smells so unpleasant:
It is not surprising to have some bad smell from horn items due to the nature of material. It can be neutralized through some basic formula. You can use chlorine-based bleach and soak the bowl for number of occasions which will help to remove the odour from your handmade bowl
just seems a lot of bother, when a ceramic bowl is much less bother to use👍🏼

Mini Zig found this in the old dishes that were packed away. It's a bit big for use as a lather bowl, but I'll try it. The bottom says it was made by Mattel.
Lighter for size reference. Don't smoke.
IMG_20210106_191042.jpg

been toying with the idea of adding a Captains Choice bowl to my collection, what's the opinion of those who already own one[emoji848]

I have the large copper one and use it daily. I really like the look of it and the size. Actually I bought it for the look. It works well but I wish the ridges were a little more pronounced on the bottom. I’m nitpicking though. The low sides keep me from banging my brush handle when whipping up lather. The copper doesn’t hold heat so keep that in mind if that’s one of your requirements.

I can’t speak to the ceramic version but I’d assume the performance would be similar but with better heat retention.

Top Bottom