What's new

shave bowls

I did find one of the bi-directional Suribachi-s on Amazon.... I grind spices quite a bit. Looks like an amazing product for that. I would think it might cause some wear on a shaving brush though... being unglazed pottery on the inside. Have you found that to be the case?
Lol, now that you mention it, yes!!!
Maybe I oughta lurk more, because clearly I don’t have it all figured out!

I wondered why my brush had a bald spot!! Yes, it’s like 8 years old, when I stumbled onto a random forum, where people talk about shaving stuff! So here i am.

I’m apparently like many of you, I have 8.5 years of shaving blades, and apparently Lilac Vegetal did NOT pick me to represent….

1651003596274.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
In the traditional arts of making things, Japanese make a lot of awesome stuff. It costs more of course, because its all hand made. But if you want something that was made with love, traditional is the way to go. I say its picture time, show off them Japanese bowls! 😁

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I need to find a less noisy bowl!
I've got a ceramic Captain's style lookalike bowl from Amazon and it's to loud when I shave. (I always shave late at night). My brushes knock on the ceramic when I load them up. That sound drives me nuts!

I know the feeling! Its time to get a better bowl. How about a real Captains Choice bowl this time? Maybe something in this class perhaps?

1651011076617.png

I got my first Captains Choice Cobalt lather bowl from the Mens Room Barbershop. If you look on Captains Choice website, you can't even find those bowls, which tells me Scott probably no longer sells them. But when I see this Starry Night bowl, kind of makes me want it, but I spent enough money, especially after buying that Starry Night scuttle of theirs hehe.

But see, I am a bit biased, simply because I am a big lover of ceramics. But if I was to buy one of their copper bowls, I would choose this one, because of the like leopard print pattern, which I think is both awesome and elegant. See look...

1651011346276.png

Or, if you want up your game with some nice warm lather, you could always try a scuttle, like the one I have!

proxy.php

I know the feeling! Its time to get a better bowl. How about a real Captains Choice bowl this time? Maybe something in this class perhaps?

View attachment 1446185

I got my first Captains Choice Cobalt lather bowl from the Mens Room Barbershop. If you look on Captains Choice website, you can't even find those bowls, which tells me Scott probably no longer sells them. But when I see this Starry Night bowl, kind of makes me want it, but I spent enough money, especially after buying that Starry Night scuttle of theirs hehe.

But see, I am a bit biased, simply because I am a big lover of ceramics. But if I was to buy one of their copper bowls, I would choose this one, because of the like leopard print pattern, which I think is both awesome and elegant. See look...

View attachment 1446186

Or, if you want up your game with some nice warm lather, you could always try a scuttle, like the one I have!

proxy.php
I've seen them and been through the website. They are definitely pretty and I don't mind spending the money but I need something with less noise. The one I have is my first bowl and was like $15 bucks and is really nice and does a great job but noisy!
I think my solution will unfortunately be plastic. Something like the Timeless shaving bowl. I'll be looking!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I've seen them and been through the website. They are definitely pretty and I don't mind spending the money but I need something with less noise. The one I have is my first bowl and was like $15 bucks and is really nice and does a great job but noisy!
I think my solution will unfortunately be plastic. Something like the Timeless shaving bowl. I'll be looking!

Unfortunately, I think you are right, I think the only kind of bowl that is going to properly suit you, is a plastic shaving bowl. But I shutter just to think of it. Plastic! Ugg. Well, you got to do what you got to do. But, look at it this way I suppose. Not only will a plastic bowl be quiet, but it will also not break if you drop it. Just please do me a favor, if you buy a plastic bowl, don't buy the cheapest thin wall that flexes bowl. Get something that is real thick, strong, does not flex, and has ridges in it to aid in whipping.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Mine is an SWK S-Type Shave Scuttle that my Son purchased for me for Christmas years ago. A wonderful piece and a functional work of art for me.

View attachment 1446191

Hey, whats that golf ball doing in there, what is this world coming to I tell ya! 😂 IDK, maybe the brush just needed a friend. HEHE

I've seen scuttles of that type before, we have other members on the forum that have them. That kind is to put your brush in the end. In my scuttle, I put boiling water in it, which keeps the lather nice and warm. I would never put a brush in boiling water, at least not of the badger variety, it would destroy it, so for me, I couldn't do that. But I assume that you are not putting boiling water in yours and just warm water, since you have a brush in there.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

The best bowl I have found so far is a cheap silicone "travel shaving bowl" or "pet food bowl".

View attachment 1446192View attachment 1446193

I've never heard of, or have seen, a silicone lather bowl before. If its really made of silicone, well then obviously that would be quiet, the whole thing is like a shock absorber hehe. I need to see a video of this in action, do you have one for me to watch?

Unfortunately, I think you are right, I think the only kind of bowl that is going to properly suit you, is a plastic shaving bowl. But I shutter just to think of it. Plastic! Ugg. Well, you got to do what you got to do. But, look at it this way I suppose. Not only will a plastic bowl be quiet, but it will also not break if you drop it. Just please do me a favor, if you buy a plastic bowl, don't buy the cheapest thin wall that flexes bowl. Get something that is real thick, strong, does not flex, and has ridges in it to aid in whipping.
I hate plastic as well but oh well!
And I won't be buying a "Dollar Tree" quality bowl or anything without ridges, Lol!!
But all plastic bowls are cheap, even the most expensive ones. The one I mentioned on my last post seems to be highly regarded among plastic bowls and it's made in the USA. I'll probably get that one or maybe get a custom made one on Etsy. This is the Timeless bowl:

Hey, whats that golf ball doing in there, what is this world coming to I tell ya! 😂 IDK, maybe the brush just needed a friend. HEHE

I've seen scuttles of that type before, we have other members on the forum that have them. That kind is to put your brush in the end. In my scuttle, I put boiling water in it, which keeps the lather nice and warm. I would never put a brush in boiling water, at least not of the badger variety, it would destroy it, so for me, I couldn't do that. But I assume that you are not putting boiling water in yours and just warm water, since you have a brush in there.

That photo was just staged for the "Shave of the Day' sort of thing. I never use boiling water for my scuttle, just hot tap water seems to work just fine to keep the lather warm for me.

A one of a kind scuttle and extra special because my Son bought it for me.

View attachment 1446185

View attachment 1446186

proxy.php
I have one of the Captains Heavyweight. Copper bowls courtesy Of The Cap'n himself from about a year or so ago and they are Very nice bowls !! Honestly It so nice that I haven't been able to bring myself to use it yet because it looks so nice !!

IMG_6150.jpg

I've never heard of, or have seen, a silicone lather bowl before. If its really made of silicone, well then obviously that would be quiet, the whole thing is like a shock absorber hehe. I need to see a video of this in action, do you have one for me to watch?

I hate plastic as well but oh well!
And I won't be buying a "Dollar Tree" quality bowl or anything without ridges, Lol!!
But all plastic bowls are cheap, even the most expensive ones. The one I mentioned on my last post seems to be highly regarded among plastic bowls and it's made in the USA. I'll probably get that one or maybe get a custom made one on Etsy. This is the Timeless bowl:
If you see my post from a page or so ago you would see I mentioned one of the silicone collapsible bowls and the funny thing is that Dollar Tree Is selling them now and they are the Same quality as the other silicone collapsible. Pet bowls...

As a side note the ones I have are not from dollar tree but they look just the same...

Another option BTW is that Walmart in the baby section sells a children's " silicone " bowl for cereal that is not collapsible that is also very good.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Inspired by Tomo’s lovely rice bowl a few pages back, I found this one on Amazon. Within a couple of millimeters of the same size, it also sits nicely in hand, has a matte glaze, and, as a bonus, nicely complements my brush.

View attachment 1448343

That brush is so lovely! I can see how its mostly a match with that bowl too. Hey, back to the brush, love that marble looking handle, and I think you call that brush knot a tuxedo do you not? Is that a badger brush, or a synthetic? How's the backbone on that brush? Knot looks like 24 maybe 26. Loft looks like a 58 maybe? Does it have the weight of real marble, or does it feel light, like a resin handle? How do you like the brush?

I have one of the Captains Heavyweight. Copper bowls courtesy Of The Cap'n himself from about a year or so ago and they are Very nice bowls !! Honestly It so nice that I haven't been able to bring myself to use it yet because it looks so nice !!

View attachment 1446291
You really need to use that bowl, otherwise it serves no worldly purpose. Don't deny that bowl it's destiny!...use it!

(It is nice. 🙂)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I agree with the others, please use your bowl, it was meant to be used by a wet shaver. Please don't be one of those guys who always drives around town with a pickup truck, but never uses the truck for work, its disrespectful to the truck, just as its disrespectful to own a lather bowl, and not use it.

Build a nice lather in that bowl, and then take a picture and post it, I wanna see you enjoying it. Here are my Captains Choice ceramics, Cobalt lather bowl, Starry Night scuttle...

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom