What's new

shave before shower?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Whatever works is good. Some shave before the shower, some shave in the shower and some shave after the shower. I'm in the third group, but that's what works for me. The only way to know is to experiment.

Enjoy your shaves.

I support whatever procedure works for someone, but the few times I have tried wetshaving without a hot shower beforehand has been pretty much a disaster for me. Frustrates my wife sometimes if we are short on time...In theory I might be able to get away with it using a cartridge, but I haven't bought one of those in 15 years and have no plans to change that any time soon.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think very few, if any, SR shavers would shave in the shower. They want to keep their scales reasonably dry.

I shave exactly as @njpaddy shaves. Shave, witch hazel, shower, witch hazel again, dry and then apply aftershave.

I think very few, if any, SR shavers would shave in the shower. They want to keep their scales reasonably dry.

I shave exactly as @njpaddy shaves. Shave, witch hazel, shower, witch hazel again, dry and then apply aftershave.
Using an open blade in the shower would, IMO, earn a darwin-award nomination, the impact of dropping that razor on certain exposed areas would need more than witch hazel to close up. YMMV

Shave then shower here. I remember I had a very good reason for that. But I don't remember what that reason was.
Regarding AS: after shaving I aply witch hazel, clean my gear, cold water rinse and use some nivea sensitive balm where (and if) I notice any irritation. The actual AS is aplied after showering.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
There's no real "right way," just the best way for you.

Me, I like to rinse off thoroughly, so I shave, apply alum, shower, then apply CeraVe moisturizer. Finally, I finish off with a few spritzes of the day's frag.

(Which is not to say I don't thoroughly wet my beard first with a thin coat of Noxzema and plenty of hot water.)

I shave, rinse, massage in oil cleansing blend then shower. The oil cleanse is actually a tremendous post shave! My feeling is that the wetting of the mug and the thrashing of the soap hydrates plenty for my beard. I discovered OCM about 6 months ago and am loving it. Ironically, if I harvested my oil secretions I would probably be eligible for membership in OPEC, but somehow washing my face (and head) with oil has really reigned it in. Who knew?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
As a fan of old school tallow hard soaps like Williams I find that shaving before showering helps prevent that dry, taut skin of which many complain. I experience a shower as the perfect rinse for my face.

In recent years many of my shaves have been 'stand alone' shaves, done at night with no shower at all until early the next morning.

Top Bottom