What's new

shave before shower?

When I switched from my electric shaver, I started showering before shaving since the advice was that would soften the whiskers and make for a more comfortable shave. Back in the electric shaver days, I was always more comfortable shaving before showering. The skin wound up less irritated that way.

I decided to try shaving first again, and I do find my skin is less irritated this way. The whiskers are a little more tuggy, but I am willing to take that tradeoff. My theory is by shaving first, the skin is still protected by its natural oils and is a little tighter.

My procedure is to start the lather with a little excess water, lather the face early while the lather is still thin. Go back and work on the lather and give time for the whiskers to soften. Once the lather is good, reapply. I find the first pass to be only slightly more tuggy than showering first, subsequent passes have no tugging.

After reading all the stories about the legendary Feather sharpness cautions against carving up myself, I finally did my first shave with one. I had a close, comfortable shave, no drama or blood. Minor feedback from the alum block. Is it better than my favorites? I'm less sure of that, but still a good blade.

I stopped shaving before showering when in the Marines. I would inevitably have mild stubble after getting out of the shower for whatever reason. As it was I usually had to shave twice a day to keep my senior NCOs off my back. Once I became an NCO I was able to dial it back to once a day, but still shaved after showering.

When I switched from my electric shaver, I started showering before shaving since the advice was that would soften the whiskers and make for a more comfortable shave. Back in the electric shaver days, I was always more comfortable shaving before showering. The skin wound up less irritated that way.

I decided to try shaving first again, and I do find my skin is less irritated this way. The whiskers are a little more tuggy, but I am willing to take that tradeoff. My theory is by shaving first, the skin is still protected by its natural oils and is a little tighter.

My procedure is to start the lather with a little excess water, lather the face early while the lather is still thin. Go back and work on the lather and give time for the whiskers to soften. Once the lather is good, reapply. I find the first pass to be only slightly more tuggy than showering first, subsequent passes have no tugging.

After reading all the stories about the legendary Feather sharpness cautions against carving up myself, I finally did my first shave with one. I had a close, comfortable shave, no drama or blood. Minor feedback from the alum block. Is it better than my favorites? I'm less sure of that, but still a good blade.
Good work. Yes, this is my theory too. I showered prior to my shaves for a number of years, but posts here convinced me to try shaving before, and it works well for me. I used a Feather blade in my '56 Red Tip this morning and came out super-smooth. And I like the sensation of running my fingers over smooth face and throat while cleaning up in the shower.

Those with beards that are not heavy, coarse, or fast-growing can shave before showering. It is still possible if you have one or more of those conditions, but it is much easier to clean and hydrate your beard in a shower. If your beard is fully hydrated, the beard hairs will be easier to cut and you will get a closer shave. Those with fast-growing beards need a close shave to avoid the need to shave again the same day.

I have a coarse, heavy, wiry beard and have always shaved before showering. I wash my face, neck, and head with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap, apply water to my face and neck, and lather and shave. I also wet met my face and neck before each pass. I do the same thing when I shave my head. I tried shaving after I shower but saw no difference in the quality of the shave but did find my neck was more prone to irritation.

Usually I shave after I shower as my brush gets soaked(and soap bloomed if using).
If I happen to shave any other time, I soak a cloth and apply to my face for a minute or two.

I am 50-50 on before-after. I like the hydration and generic brand Noxzema preshave in the shower. On the days where I shave both face and head, I need a shower to clean up after, so those are shave-first days.

Top Bottom