What's new

Sharpness Questions (Sharpest Blades to use)

Feathers are sharpest for me. I get the closest shave from a first use feather. They definitely aren't as sharp for me after the first use but continue to be pretty good for 3-4 more shaves before it gets tossed.

I regularly use Nacet,Treet Platinum, BIC Chrome Platinum, and Rapira Swedish Supersteel. When my lather is on point I honestly have a hard time telling the difference. If I was forced to choose I would probably go with Nacets. If money was a concern then Treet Platinum all day.
I have used all four blades in:
Gamechanger .68p
1948-50 SuperSpeed
Ball-end Tech
Aluminum Lupo
Henson al13 mild
All four worked equally in all four razors.

A caveat: Until his year I generally shaved every 36 hours, and changed blades on Saturday. So they only averaged 4 or 5 shaves. That said as long as I get 3 good shaves from a blade I am happy and wont hesitate to get a new one out.

I also use RK Stainless in my Henson mild everyshave as my ATG cleanup...maybe I need to try it in my other razors.

Blades are very much YMMV. That said, my personal ’top-tier’ in no particular order:
GSB
Wizamet SI (or Polsilvers)
Astra SP
Nacet
Personna lab
Personna red
I got some personna blue pack which I find quite dull. Not sure why. They just don't cut properly. Maybe just a bad blade.

Thank you all. I will try a few more. I think BIC is next. I have a Nancet from a sample pack which I will use next. I also have some Lords.

Can anyone tell me if they know of a blade without any writing on the blade or on the wrapper. It's a plain white wrapper and no writing on the blade (complete mystery).

Hi Ray,

"Blade are YMMV" have been touted for ages. I agree with most of your observations on feather, Bic, Nacet, and Permasharp. But, IMO GSB's are not far behind Perma Sharp and Nacet, whereas Lord/Shark and Super Max are on the duller end. Maybe the sensation of roughness can sometimes be associated with perceived sharpness.

Just throwing out the idea. I like my blades on the sharp end too. Blades are for cutting after all!
I very much agree that blades are YMMV. That is why I recommend that people try a lot of different blades. I have tried around 25.

Gillette Silver Blue blades are sharp enough for me to use, but because they are not quite as sharp as the others mentioned, I do better with the sharper blades.

When you talk about Lord, Shark, and Super Max blades, there are so many varieties that you have to be quite specific about the specific brand. Shark Super Chrome blades are awful, but I find Shark Platinum to be quite nice. As far as I can tell. the Lord Platinum and Shark Platinum are the same blade. The only SuperMax blade I have tried is the Blue Diamond and I like it. I have not experience with other SuperMax blades for comparison.

The same thing applies to the Durablade offerings. I find the Durablade Sharp 7 Am Hi Platinum blade to be acceptable, but really like their Titanium coated blade. I love Dorco Prime Platinum blades made in Vietnam, but have not heard good things abour Dorco blades made in Korea, so I have not tried them.

When evaluating razor blades, be sure to use them for several shaves. Most blades today have a coating. As the coating wears off after a shave or two, the performance changes.

Feather blades are the very sharpest blades out of the wrapper. However, many people find that super sharp edge to be fragile. While the first couple of shaves are great, the edge can deteriorate to the point the blade feels harsh, especially if your skin is sensitive.

BIC Chrome Platinum blades are not quite as sharp as Feather blades out of the wrapper, but after a shave or two, they become just as sharp. For some folks, they are too sharp. For my tough beard, they are great.

Gillette Nacet and Permasharp Super blades are quite sharp, but not as sharp as the previous blades.

Some blades like 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black), Personna Comfort Coated (lab blues), and Wilkenson Sword Classic (German) have a rather thick coating. The first shave will be very smooth, but only mid-sharp. As the coating wears off, they will rival the sharpest blades.

Personna Platinum Chrome blades are excellent.

Some less commonly touted blades that I find to be both sharp and smooth are Dorco Prime Platinum, Durablade Sharp Titanium, Lord/Shark Platinum and Vidyut Super Max Blue Diamond.

For my tough beard, I do not find Gillette Platinum and Gillette Silver Blue blades to be quite sharp enough. However, if you are a more typical shaver, they might be ideal. There are some who consider Astra Superior Platinum blades to be sharp. While I like Astra Superior Stainless blades to be sharp, I have never gotten a good shave from Astra SP blades because my beard is too coarse. Among more typical shavers, Astra SP blades are a best seller.

Your preference in blades will depend upon your beard condition, your skin sensitivity, your shaving technique, and your choice of razors. I tend to use the very sharpest blades in milder razors and slightly less sharp blades in more aggressive razors.
Of the blades I have tried in this list, I concur with your analysis. We must have similar hair.

Hi All,

Quite new here but managed to get some blades that I like. Currently my favourite are Gillette Silver Blue and Feather (Silver Blue a little bit over Feather) - seems a little smoother on skin.

Could you advise me on any blades I should try?

Kiran
Those are great ones. I would rank Gillette Nacet right up there with them.

Top Bottom