What's new

Sharpest SE blades?

A kind fellow here sent me a couple Gem SE blades to use in a Micromatic I found at an antique store. I tried the blades and they just aren't sharp enough; they pull even WTG. Are there sharper SE blades? In case it's helpful, the only blades I can comfortably shave ATG in my DE89 are 7 O'Clock Blacks (amazingly awesome blades), Bic Chrome Platinums (awesome blades), and Feathers (good blades). So, anything really sharp out there in an SE?

As always, thank you very much.

Welcome back! When it comes to SE blades, your options are pretty limited. The GEM Stainless blades are what I normally prefer to use, but you should be able to find some carbon steel SE blades at CVS and Rite-Aid drugstores. These are favored by some folks, so you might like 'em too; if so, you'll want to spend a little extra effort to keep them dry between uses.

P.S. Shaving with SE razors works best with a very shallow angle. Start with the head flat against the face, and pull the back off just a tiny bit. Also, there's a little trick to loading the blade properly in a Micromatic. You should be able to find a video in the Single-Edge Razors forum.

A fresh Treet is extremely sharp but they are one and done for me. Carbon steel. I love blue stars, but a lot of people talk them down. Never tried Pal, but the reputation is dodgy. The gem stainless need a shave to smooth out in my experience and will deliver 4-7 shaves.

I believe a number of folks on here have sung the praises of Ted Pella PTFE-coated, but seems smallest lot available for sale is 200. I was similarly underwhelmed by the GEM in an OCMM and absence of finding a blade i like has reduced my SE shaves to near zero.

Top Bottom