What's new

Sharpest after Feather Hi Stainless?

Other people are very poor judges about how a blade will perform on your beard or head. Further, some people bin a blade after a couple uses, some once a week or two. Obviously views about sharpness will vary according to usage as well.
This whole statement sums up YMMV completely... For me, Feather, Kai, and GSB are the worst blades I've ever tried. They pretty much tug and pull regardless of 1st shave or 3rd shave. I've never gotten past 3 shaves on either and this is trying them each in 5-6 different razors. The blades I have found to be the sharpest, for me, are Shark SC, Polsilver SI, and Nacet. Those 3 work almost identical to each other in any razor I've put them in to date with the Shark's being the best I've used so far.

This whole statement sums up YMMV completely... For me, Feather, Kai, and GSB are the worst blades I've ever tried. They pretty much tug and pull regardless of 1st shave or 3rd shave. I've never gotten past 3 shaves on either and this is trying them each in 5-6 different razors. The blades I have found to be the sharpest, for me, are Shark SC, Polsilver SI, and Nacet. Those 3 work almost identical to each other in any razor I've put them in to date with the Shark's being the best I've used so far.
Interesting because objectively Shark is not a relatively sharp blade. Glad it works.

For current production double edge blades, my most preferred for sharp & smooth is a tie between the Gillette Platinums and Gillette Rubie Plus, followed closely by Gillette yellow & Polsilver (Yellow being the sharpest)

I’ve tried most of the options listed above.
For me, the two clear winners are the Polsilver and the Ever Sharp.
Now if we start talking NOS vintage blades, I could rattle off half a dozen easy.

I'd rate Personna Med Preps pretty sharp, as well as Astra SPs and 7 O'Clock Super Stainless. I have Kai and Nacets on order, and they have a good reputation, so I'll see.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I'd have to say Nacets. Nacets, for me, are very close in sharpness, way smoother, and seem to last much longer than Feathers. Israeli Personnas are probably a notch below the Nacets in sharpness, but smoother and just as long lasting. Once I discovered Nacets and IPs I was pretty much done with Feathers (after using them for like 20 years).

what he said 100%

It would be good if we all describe our beard type when we recommend blades. Guys with thick, coarse beards will have different results from those with light, thin beards.
I personally have a thick, coarse beard and I use Feather Blades because they do a better job of cutting through my wire tough beard. I get 4 shaves out of a Feather before I change it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
These are the blades that I have used and enjoy most of them. The ones that are on the top that are sharp and smooth passing over to the sharpest I find very nice for my medium beard type and not to sensitive skin like mine.
There seems to be a blade for everyone and finding that blade can be rewarding for a certain razor or technique YMMV is so true!
Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Stupid question about the Gillette.
Are all Gillette blades pretty much the same ?
I found;
7 O'Clock SharpEdge
7 O'Clock Super Stainless
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum
Gillette Wilkinson ? is Wilkinson own by Gillette now ?

what are the difference ?

One shaver devised a system to measure the sharpness of a wide variety of blades. He measured the force necessary to sever a test media before and after each shave with a test blade.

He found that some blades are sharper than others, no surprise there. Uncoated blades like Feather may be very sharp on the first shave, but quickly lose sharpness. Coated blades often get sharper after the first shave as the coating wears off. The investigation confirms with objective testing what many folks are indicating based on subjective feel in the posts above.

According to the data, the lower the sharpness rating, the sharper the blade. Although Feather is the sharpest blade on the first shave by a wide margin, over the coarse of three shaves, BIC Chrome Platinum and PermaSharp Super are slightly sharper than Feather. According to these tests, other blades that are nearly as sharp are: Nacets, 7 O' Clock Black, Personna Israeli Reds, and German Wilkinson Swords. There are a number of other blades that are just slightly below that in sharpness.

For those looking for a sharp blade that is inexpensive, the Astra Super Stainless blade might be suitable. Although Astra Superior Platinum blades receive lots of favorable comments, due to the platinum coating, they are not as sharp as Super Stainless, but the coating makes them smoother. If sharpness were the only criteria needed to select blades, that selection would be easy. However, for most of us sharpness, smoothness, cost per blade and longevity also plays a role.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom