What's new

Sharpening Steel Help

Can someone recommend a good, durable steel to sharpen my chefs knifes? I've gone through a few cheap ones over the years and they don't seem to last or work that well.

I do periodically sharpen with a good stone set, but I need something for a decent quick edge when I'm in the middle of cooking.

Thanks!

You should use a steel that has very fine or better yet smooth surface. I use the back of the spine of another knife. A course steel will shorten the life of your last sharpening considerably. Running the edge against the smooth edge of a spine will align the edge. If that doesn't work it's time for sharpening. The last time I was at my daughters house she was cutting up a tomato and she said "dad did you sharpen my knife"? Nope. Just realigned the edge. You could use the back of a butter knife the same way you use a steel. Try it! Smooth steel advice from Chad Ward, An Edge In The Kitchen​.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
When using a steel, do you go edge leading, or spine leading? Last week I saw a sushi chef use a steel spine leading, so I thought I would ask the experts here.

When using a steel, do you go edge leading, or spine leading? Last week I saw a sushi chef use a steel spine leading, so I thought I would ask the experts here.

Lead with the edge - leading with the spine will cause a burr to build on the blade edge which is counter-productive to sharpening

Top Bottom