What's new

Sharpening DE blades

i just wonder what running a DE blade through a sharpener would do...anybody every try that?

i thought about raking one across this just to see.

I dunno, even expensive brands such as Feather and Merkur are cheap enough for me to trash even after one shave if it pleased me to do so. Why fret over honing DE blades, says I?

LAMINA BREVIS, VITA LONGA :rolleyes:

I dunno, even expensive brands such as Feather and Merkur are cheap enough for me to trash even after one shave if it pleased me to do so. Why fret over honing DE blades, says I?

LAMINA BREVIS, VITA LONGA :rolleyes:

just to try something different more than anything else. the thrill of actually finding something associated with a hobby i like and seeing it work. esp if its a really crappy blade finding something that would turn it into a good blade.

I don't think you will get the angle right to have a nice shave. But, hey give it a try and see if it works. If it does then you have a way of extending the life of a blade if you are stranded on a desert island and have only one blade.:lol:

At £0.09p a blade I really fail to see the point of doing it. If you do it and it works your a hero, a shaving god amongst men if you will. But if you do it and it fails then you run the risk of being ridiculed by your peers. Can you handle the rejection of failure?

just to try something different more than anything else. the thrill of actually finding something associated with a hobby i like and seeing it work. esp if its a really crappy blade finding something that would turn it into a good blade.

Y'mean like turning a sow's ear into a silken purse? :tongue_sm

>Running, serpentine fashion, much faster than you'd think I can! :001_cool:<

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It will probably turn a perfectly good blade into a crappy one. I wouldn't run a decent knife through that.

Failure will cause a bad shave at worst. Go for it.

I agree that I do not like that type of sharpener for anything either.

Phil

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Nah.....DE blades are cheap...no need to sharpen. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php

I do not like that type of sharpener - period.

But that aside - it is designed to put a working edge on a kitchen knife. The angle is too steep for a razor. The steeper the angle you put on an edge, the "duller" it is, but it will also keep that edge for much longer.

Example: an axe has a very steep angle but does not dull quickly as compared to a razor blade that has a much shallower edge angle. The razor will have a much finer and sharper edge but can not stand up to much use before dulling.

But try it and see - you have nothing to lose except for a layer or two of epidermis :lol:

well i ran a Gillette Super Stainless through..that blade is so bad right out of the pack i couldnt tell it did anything for or against it. so in my book i broke even. i wouldnt try it with any good blades unless i was on my last shave with it..but i tried it once just to see and im closing that chapter of my life down lol :w00t:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I guess it was worth a try, if for no other reason than to satisfy your curiosity. :thumbup1:

well i ran a Gillette Super Stainless through..that blade is so bad right out of the pack i couldnt tell it did anything for or against it. so in my book i broke even. i wouldnt try it with any good blades unless i was on my last shave with it..but i tried it once just to see and im closing that chapter of my life down lol :w00t:

If you are not extending the life of your blades what is the point?:confused1

Try on a good blade after you have had all the expected shaves out of it.

Phil

Top Bottom