What's new

Sharpen up DE razor blades against denim fabric, is it doable?

Hello!

I have heard that you can sharpen dull DE razor blades stroking them several times against a pair of old denim jeans? Is this effective, have someone tested it and can say me if it helped?

Best Regards Fredrik

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Sure. Some folks may strop their razor blades to extend their usage. But at a nickle to a penny per shave I think you'll find most don't bother.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
bc188e294d64feac77fc873c2fe25c30--madonna-s-ripped-jeans.jpg

Hey, it worked for Madonna. :001_smile

Whatever sharpening or stropping a DE blade works or not is just as controversial as pretty much everything else related to shaving. Meaning that for some folks it might work and for others it wont.

I've tried most of the well known tricks to extend the life of DE and GEM style blades and not only I didn't notice any improvement, in some cases the blades became much duller and less smooth than before.

Since blades are very cheap, you can experiment and test those theories yourself and with a bit of luck, some might even work for you, who knows?

You're not really sharpening, more like stropping the blade. You might improve the shave qualities a little bit by smoothing out some rough edges. Most of my blades cost 10 or 15 cents each, so to me it makes sense to just replace the tired blade with a fresh one.

...I have heard that you can sharpen dull DE razor blades stroking them several times against a pair of old denim jeans?...
I doubt you can sharpen anything on jeans, stroking or not.

...Is this effective, have someone tested it and can say me if it helped?
Don't need to test. One can polish an edge with a buffing wheel. Using a buffing/honing compound will make that edge perfect.
It might work if you can get a device to hold the thin blade perfectly/uniformly flat on a stropping block of sorts. Even then I doubt one would sharpen the blade.
But again, what do I know? I might be wrong since I have been wrong before, many times.
Have fun.

Oh, one more thing...
proxy.php

You're not really sharpening, more like stropping the blade. You might improve the shave qualities a little bit by smoothing out some rough edges. Most of my blades cost 10 or 15 cents each, so to me it makes sense to just replace the tired blade with a fresh one.
I agree, do not sharpening but align the blade. I use this approach on 3+ blade usage

Top Bottom