What's new

Sharp vs Smooth epiphany

When I started on my DE journey, I only had German Wilkinsons locally available so that's what I used. They are what I now refer to as a sharp blade as I did and still can cut myself when being inattentive. I then picked up a few packs of Gillette Silver Blues online and was impressed with how they still delivered a shave as close as the Wilkinsons but I wasn't likely get to nicks or weepers. Then I tried some Gillette Platinums and now I get the difference between sharp and smoothness of different blades. The Platinums are now what I call a smooth blade. The fun part of the whole process is seeing how each of their characteristics plays out in different razors. For example, the Silver Blues are good in my pre war Tech but the Platinums don't give a close shave at all by comparison. This morning, a Platinum in my New Standard was great, a smooth blade in a nice heavy efficient razor is a winner for me.
This adds a whole new dimension to the shaving experience and I now think there shouldn't be any razors out there that might seem too aggressive. Hmm...my Progress on 5+ with a Platinum?

I assume you mean SP when you say platinums? If so I agree they are sharp and smooth and one of my favorites. I recently ditched the DE89 head on my Muhle and put the Maggard v3 on it and think I will exclusively stick with the SP.

I assume you mean SP when you say platinums? If so I agree they are sharp and smooth and one of my favorites. I recently ditched the DE89 head on my Muhle and put the Maggard v3 on it and think I will exclusively stick with the SP.
They are the Gillette Platinums, navy coloured package vs. the light blue Silver Blues. At the time, I wanted to see what if any difference there was between the two. I found that there is for sure, wonder if the smoothness factor is a trait of most "platinum" branded blades?

blades.png

Last edited:
I know there are folks who say a blade is a blade but I concur with op some work better for certain razors than others

Absoloutely there's a difference. I used the same razor exclusively for 25 yrs and tried many blades and found several crappy ones along that journey.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I agree with BigJ they are all top notch blades. Of the three Gillette Platinum's are my favorites though I like them all. I collect modern razors and for them I haven't found one they haven't worked well in...and GSB. Nice observations!

Top Bottom