What's new

Sharp vs keen - please help a non-native speaker understand

Better to have the spine at exactly the optimum thickness for the bevel angle you want.
I agree. A good razor should be designed that way. If this is not the case, or it has been honed with tape there for a while, you need to grind down the spine, or find a nother way. It is a tool to me, so i do not care that much about spine wear, others might for some razors.

A tuna can lid and a1k edge are sharp. Getting to sharp, is easy.

A keen edge is one where the bevels are meeting evenly at a straight smooth edge. A sharp edge will cut hair, a keen edge will cut beard hair without exfoliating skin.

And that is the difference between sharpening a knife and honing a razor. The goal for each is very different. Knife sharpeners are not concerned about how an edge will feel on skin, and rightfully so. One is not better than another, they are different for a reason.

For me too, a 12k Super Stone edge is harsh, stropped 50 laps on .50um CBN or Chrome Oxide can make it Keen. Try stropping between stones and before your final finishing laps, on plain linen, it will help remove thin burrs/flashing, so you are honing on clean steel.

Goals. You don’t shave with a kitchen knife and you don’t cut veggies with a razor.

Top Bottom