What's new

Sharp enough

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Haven’t tried a Feather yet but will do at next blade change. I have a 9/16 EDACO, 5/8 Geneva and an original 5/8 Bismarck that have edges near a DE blade but find some razors really resist that edge - especially Eskiltuna steel but I remain determined.

Just a random shot. Try double the laps on the balsa, a bit less pressure. Seems to be the recipe for Swedish.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ok. I’ve done about 300 .1u. I’ll go back and do another 100 with extreme light pressure. On a positive note, they will keep whatever edge put on them. Have to grow some arm hair back first.

I have been using a shavette lately to establish a honing target in my brain. I tried to learn to shave with one in the beginning and it was a disaster - too sharp for untrained hands. Now that I have experience with a straight razor, I get excellent results - fast, close and smooooth pressure free shaving. I’ll return to traditional straights next week I expect and have something to focus my honing on but I’ll no longer disparage the lowly half blade shavette.

Yes, I do believe starting with a shavette made a positive impact on my technique. I remember thinking the blade was dulling. LOL!! It was my shave angle.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yes, I do believe starting with a shavette made a positive impact on my technique. I remember thinking the blade was dulling. LOL!! It was my shave angle.
I was referring to a half blade shavette rather than a full sized blade without those develish little points.

Top Bottom