What's new

Sharp Dressed Man vs. Green Irish Tweed

These are not exact clones but have a lot of similarities with GIT. They smell nice, but not expensive.

Davidoff Cool Water can be found on the discounter sites very reasonably (under $20 for 4.2 oz size). Look for coupon codes such as 35% off at Fragrance.net.

Aspen can be found for under $10.

Just picked up a vintage bottle of Aspen AS from an antique store and the scent is fantastic!

Can't compare it to GIT or SDM as I've never used those. But on fragrance websites I am reading the comparisons to both GIT and Cool Water.
They make AS? didn't know that.

I picked up John Player Special deo spray, clone of Cool Water, lasts really long time.
I will go on a hunt for Coty AS

Last edited:
To clarify some confusion, the most famous "clone" of the GIT is Davidoff Cool Water, which launched back in late '80s and has been one of the all time best seller men's fragrances. After 30 years of sales Cool Water is still worn by millions of men around the world, myself included. It is ubiquitously available online, as well as in any brick & mortar cosmetics shop. Price wise, the SDM is about on par with Davidoff Cool Water and they both smell like GIT.

If you like GIT, go for the DCW, you can't go wrong.

This.

I don't really think that Sharp Dressed Man is a clone as much as a 'take' on GIT. It's not quite as sweet, and there's something about it that I actually enjoy more than GIT.

WSP's Gaelic Tweed and Armaf Tres Nuit are both much closer to my nose. I can't speak to the WSP offerings, but Tres Nuit struggles with longevity.

Splurge on the real deal. As said in prior posts a little goes a long way. One bottle of GIT lasted me more than 5 years of daily work wear.

The other option is to buy a split of GIT. I did this for Aventus, which i use socially and infrequently. Less product and less cash outlay. Find a reputable place that does splits. I have used basenotes in the past.

I know some people are sceptical about "clone" gragrances, but I can highly recommend the version made by Copycat Fragrances here in the UK. I don't have any affiliation, just a satisfied customer (in fact I'm wearing it now)! Good projection, lasts a few hours, and almost indiscernable from the original (at least to my nose 👃).

My wife had gifted me a bottle of Original Creed GIT a few xmas' ago and then later i bought Stirling SDM. I have compared both side by side and even though i really like Stirlings SDM it pales in comparison to GIT. I even had blind tests done where i sprayed each on a test strip and asked my wife to tell me which one was Creed and she got it right each and every time. Same with me.

TLDR: it smells similar but i don't think of it as a clone. It is a fantastic scent however and i have bought the soap, EDT and Splash.

My big question: how does Tres Nuit compare to SDM? My CW is running low and I‘m debating whether to replace with SDM or Armaf.
I think it's closer to Gaelic Tweed. Not too far from Sharp Dressed Man, though. My only issue with Tres Nuit is longevity. It doesn't stick around for very long.

To clarify some confusion, the most famous "clone" of the GIT is Davidoff Cool Water, which launched back in late '80s and has been one of the all time best seller men's fragrances. After 30 years of sales Cool Water is still worn by millions of men around the world, myself included. It is ubiquitously available online, as well as in any brick & mortar cosmetics shop. Price wise, the SDM is about on par with Davidoff Cool Water and they both smell like GIT.

If you like GIT, go for the DCW, you can't go wrong.
When I wore it, I used to buy my GIT from Fragrancenet.com. Good pricing on the real stuff.

BTW, I didn't know Cool Water was an analog of GIT. Interesting.

Not only are GIT and Cool Water nearly analogues, they were created by the same perfumer. GIT in ‘85 and CW in ‘88. Cool Water has an aquatic vibe with a little mint, but they are very similar. Cool Water is just fine by me, always availabLe and always inexpensive at the rack stores.

Rod over at Stirling makes some wonderful products and some nice clones, but they pale in complexity to established house recipes. They don’t dry down nearly the same and they don’t really last very long.

For $25 I’d rather have 100 mil of Cool Water than 50 mil of Stirling.

But also be sure to get yourself some of that SDM aftershave with menthol and you’ll be all set.

Not only are GIT and Cool Water nearly analogues, they were created by the same perfumer. GIT in ‘85 and CW in ‘88. Cool Water has an aquatic vibe with a little mint, but they are very similar. Cool Water is just fine by me, always availabLe and always inexpensive at the rack stores.

Rod over at Stirling makes some wonderful products and some nice clones, but they pale in complexity to established house recipes. They don’t dry down nearly the same and they don’t really last very long.

For $25 I’d rather have 100 mil of Cool Water than 50 mil of Stirling.

But also be sure to get yourself some of that SDM aftershave with menthol and you’ll be all set.
I disagree. Related scents, but I find Sharp Dressed Man and a few of the other dupes to be much closer to GIT than Cool Water.

I disagree. Related scents, but I find Sharp Dressed Man and a few of the other dupes to be much closer to GIT than Cool Water.
I didn’t mean they were identical, but they are clearly cut from the same cloth.

SDM is a great clone of GIT, but only a clone of the initial blast right out of the jug. I don’t find Stirling’s scents evolving on skin through top, heart and base notes. I’ve found them to smell monochrome, whether sniffing from the bottle top or on skin. They smell terrifi, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t find them to be very complex. Which kinda takes them out of the “clone” category for me.

Top Bottom