What's new

Sharp Dressed Man vs. Green Irish Tweed

For Valentine's Day my girlfriend got me a small tester tube of Green Irish Tweed, and it far surpassed whatever I had envisioned it could smell like. I'd like to buy a full bottle of the real thing, but right now it's a little difficult to justify a purchase so I was wondering if anyone had experience with both the Creed scent and Stirling's attempt at it with Sharp Dressed Man, particularly the eau de toilette they make. I can't imagine it's an exact duplicate, but how close do they get? For anyone who has tried both, do you feel the clone is a worthy imitation for how much less it costs?

@Chevy Novacaine if you have a Costco membership, you can get Creed's Green Irish Tweed for an amazing price. Unfortunately I have no experience with Stirling's clone, but GIT is one of my favorite scents.

I think SDM smells nice, and is a decent clone of GIT, but there is nothing quite like the real thing. Full bottles of GIT can be found on the gray market for a lot cheaper than retail. You could also just find a trusted eBay seller and buy a decent size decant for not much money.

GIT vs SDM?
Not close!
While SDM is ok...GIT is far superior and unique!

creed git vs sdm.jpg

Al haramain l'aventure Knight is a good option to use until you can justify buying the real deal. It's probaly the closest clone out there. However the longevity isn't as good as the real deal but still OK.

I do no think there is any bar on revealing prices or otherwise referring to items for sale on public sites--not sales by the individual poster, of course! If there is a problem I apologize to the mods for my "rust" in this area and welcome removal of this post. But when I look GIT up on Costco it is $180 for 100 ml. I do not have a judgment abut whether that is an amazing price these days.

Re "clones" in general, I am not a fan. In my limited experience few clones are nearly as good as the original. There are thousands of scents out there. I would more recommend finding one you liked that is priced within your budget.

For that matter, I have like GIT and have had "decants" of it in the past. But I am not sorry I never bought a whole bottle.

Just my 2 cents though.

I do no think there is any bar on revealing prices or otherwise referring to items for sale on public sites--not sales by the individual poster, of course! If there is a problem I apologize to the mods for my "rust" in this area and welcome removal of this post. But when I look GIT up on Costco it is $180 for 100 ml. I do not have a judgment abut whether that is an amazing price these days.
I think MSRP is somewhere around $415, so while still pricey, $180 is a tremendous deal.

proxy.php

Based on a quick Google, looks to me like $180 or just above that for 100 ml is a pretty typical discounted price, so that is certainly a good price.

Nordstrom has the 100 ml for $311.25 right now. Neiman Marcus for $332.

It is true that the Creed boutique would sell you a 100 ml bottle for $415, but the North American Creed Boutiques are closed because of the coronavirus. I assume on-line order still works, but I personally would not encourage Creed's pricing!

To clarify some confusion, the most famous "clone" of the GIT is Davidoff Cool Water, which launched back in late '80s and has been one of the all time best seller men's fragrances. After 30 years of sales Cool Water is still worn by millions of men around the world, myself included. It is ubiquitously available online, as well as in any brick & mortar cosmetics shop. Price wise, the SDM is about on par with Davidoff Cool Water and they both smell like GIT.

If you like GIT, go for the DCW, you can't go wrong.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
When I wore it, I used to buy my GIT from Fragrancenet.com. Good pricing on the real stuff.

BTW, I didn't know Cool Water was an analog of GIT. Interesting.

When I wore it, I used to buy my GIT from Fragrancenet.com. Good pricing on the real stuff.

BTW, I didn't know Cool Water was an analog of GIT. Interesting.
Well... it is.

The one thing folks don't get when they compare prices is that Creed GIT is only produced as EDP, there is no A/S splash or EDC or even EDT. With EDP a bottle can last for years even if you use it daily, as all you need is a discrete drop of fragrance on you pulse points. You spray it LIGHTLY on the "pulse point" (vein) on one of your wrists, rub it onto your other wrist, then rub both of your wrists against your neck pulse points and that is ENOUGH, unless you want everyone in a 10ft radius to know "Hey I am wearing GIT today". This will last for a good 8+ hours and have that magical "silage".

Now, with EDC/EDT that just won't work, as you'll need to generously spray your neck and chest to have the same silage effect, but it will be gone in a few hours.

The splash A/S's scent will be gone in less than an hour, as splash A/S typically contains only about 1% fragrance oil, to avoid skin irritation.

My best bet to anyone looking for Creed GIT scent to last "all day" is to simply get a bottle of Creed GIT. Period.

You can use SDM Soap and aftershave, which are great and then simply spray GIT on your neck and wrist. Done.

The SDM EDT is nice, but is just an EDT, it won't last no where near as long as GIT EDP, as it's not meant to. Applying more of EDT won't help - it will be too much initially, but will evaporate just as quickly.

1589118525053.png

I took a shot after initially finding the shocking price of the Creed Soap to find out the frenzy reviews around Creed. I'll be honest, I had no idea what Creed was other than the 90's band - lol.

I am not much into scents and frankly I am hyper sensitive. To the point I get bad headaches when I am stuck in the elevator or walking behind (particularly women - no offense...) that wear some pungently strong fragrance equally bad to hair spray.

But I heard about Scents to Surrender here from another post by BB user. Ordered a few small samples in 1ml of Creed like Aventus, GIT, Tabarome Millesime, Himalaya, and Spice and Wood. They are all really nice (better be at the price point) but I really liked the Spice and Wood the most followed by Himalaya / Tabarome Millesime. Sadly the Spice and Woods is from Creed's Les Royales Exclusives line ($$$++). I did not read the scent profiles before ordering but I was surprised that as a fan of Egyptian Musk that Creed describes it in part as "calling to mind the ancient banks of the timber-lined Nile" - lol. I guess I found a match by random chance.

I will say testing the Creed for the first time, they really are well balanced in the notes - can really smell the different notes without smelling the alcohol like smell or burn your nose sensation. Scents to Surrender told me that Creed uses about 65% natural ingredients without any parabens or phalates (but does use synthetic musk).

I placed a separate sample order with something considered to be all natural scents by Henry Rose which lists out all the ingredients and their synthetics are EWG approved to be safe or naturally derived. It was nice to know the company gives you a $20 credit towards your second purchase on an non-sample bottle. Which is not bad as its not super high as Creed albeit hopefully the scent samples have some good options. Read good reviews all round so took a gamble. Also liked their samples are super mini spray bottles.

On another comparison, ordered fragrance samples from Wet Shaving Products (WSP) to make one comparison in whats likely several imitation of Creed's GIT. It was okay but Creed, obviously, performs much better. Again, their notes "sing" like a symphony - if that makes any sense. WSP just smelled like one note but at the price point - worth while.

I'll have to eventually compare Creeds GIT to Stirling too.

I think you can occasionally get a good price on Creed at higher end department stores. A year or so ago when I was living in LA, I saw some holiday sales at Bloomingdale's--maybe 25% off.

If we are talking GIT knockoffs, you might want to try Cool Water. I actually like it better.

it not alpine but Aspen

Just picked up a vintage bottle of Aspen AS from an antique store and the scent is fantastic!

Can't compare it to GIT or SDM as I've never used those. But on fragrance websites I am reading the comparisons to both GIT and Cool Water.

Top Bottom