What's new

Sharp blade with mild razor vs mild blade with aggressive razor

I think I prefer the former (such as Feathers in an EJ DE89 or in a Rockwell 6C with R3 plate) but I'm still trying to figure that out (a mere 13 years after I started wetshaving).

This week I did very well with a Nacet in the Rockwell with the R5 plate (fairly sharp blade with medium razor?) though with the Feathers I think an R5 would be too much.
Likewise, I can't handle Feathers in a Merkur Slant.

I get the YMMV and all that but any thoughts on how these differ?

This has been true for me. Feathers or Bics/Rockwell 4 is great for my face, but GSB is just okay (and GSB is still sharp). Feathers or Bics in my Karve with C? More likely to get weepers and just a rougher face feel (too sharp for me, imo), but GSB is just right. I think it's a face fit or ymmv, as you acknowledge. For those who prefer mildish razors, I think OP is right. Curious if others feel the same. I bet if I were to shave with an open comb aggressive razor I'd like my blade to feel like cotton balls :)

It was my experience comparing blades with the Rockwell and Karve that convinced me that razor blades are the most subjective part of shaving. But definitely a fun journey to find the right combinations.

After 8 years of experimenting with many razors and blades I too have settled on a mild razor with a very sharp blade. Right now in my Parker 97, I use a 7 O'clock Yellow or a Personna blue blade. If I want to go the other route I use my Fatip DE with an Astra blade in it.

Another thumbs up for sharp blade with moderate razor. Or medium-sharp blade in moderate razor - Polsilver + GC .84, GSB + Rockwell #4, etc.

After just over two years of using a DE, I have mostly focused on the former but then something happened and I just found my milder razors were requiring too much work. I tried using a sharper blade but right now I am really enjoying pairing a more aggressive razor (like a GC .84) with a not so sharp blade.

What I will say is that this thread raises the importance of matching your choice of blade with razor for the job at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Mild razor with a sharp blade for me. Dare I say that combination requires, and helps to maintain, better technique? Not sure exactly on what I base that supposition but it seems like that to me.👍

The greatest difference for me, is when I started applying a hot flannel to improve exfoliation before and between passes. The improvement in closeness was an epiphany! And has meant I now only use mild razor heads without the risk of incurring nicks and cuts associated in using more aggressive razors and razor blades for shaving

Now I am wondering if I am just going through a phase of interest in more aggressive razors and if in a year or two I will be back in the mild razor with sharp blade camp. I would be curious if any of you went through a phase like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the sharp blade/mild razor route and found it pales in comparison to the aggressive razor/medium sharp blade path.

If you don’t have overly sensitive skin and/or coarse stubble, anything will work, really.

Top Bottom