What's new

Sharp blade in aggressive razor; the case for doubling down

I've been shaving with a vintage Gillette adjustable on 7 with a Feather for about 15 years now. I can go to 9, no problem. I prefer aggressive edge angles and sharp blades in general. No reason shaving should be different than chopping vegetables.

Recently tried some old Gillette razors mild to more aggressive. Have used Feather blades for around 20 years but bought a 100pk of Derby Premiums to use when travelling for one time use since the Derby's are 25% the price of the Feathers.

With the Feather blades in all razors I felt tugging on my whiskers form 1st to 5th shave. Last two shaves significantly more tugging.

Derby Premium blades felt like they were trying to tear the whiskers out from 1st first shave to 5th.

Both blades were used 5 days straight and each day only one day of stubble. The only combination that did not cause any tugging or tearing was my 37c slant using the Feather. I went through this process around 15 years ago with at least 6 different blades and ended up with a Feather in the 37c. This combination won out again.

Today tried a NOS 50's bakelite slant razor with a Feather and after the first few strokes with the razor to get the proper blade angle whiskers cut with no problems.

Decided I will get rid of all my other razors and stick with the slants.

Well, third and last shave with the Feather in the Blackland Dart. By this time the Feather was not good. More blade exposure degraded it much faster it seems.

Next time I’ll try the same experiment with a KAI. They’re a bit thicker if I’m not mistaken.

Still, the first shave was really great and it made me want to try out more “sharp/aggressive” combos in the future.
One single Feather barely lasts a beard and head shave for me. You should consider using it one shave and then toss it. Personnaly, I seek no pleasure in stretching the use of a blade a long as possible. Only superb results count for me. If I had to use two Feathers on one day to be happy with the result, I would not hesitate one second.

One single Feather barely lasts a beard and head shave for me. You should consider using it one shave and then toss it. Personnaly, I seek no pleasure in stretching the use of a blade a long as possible. Only superb results count for me.

If I had to use two Feathers on one day to be happy with the result, I would not hesitate one second.
Amen Jack. Using dull blades increases work load.

Yea i 100% agree on this.a properly honed sr is about as sharp and aggressive as you could probably get.and the results speak for themselves. My favorite head shave combo is a feather in either my 1917 old type or in my slim/fatboy @ 9.i tried it for ****s n gigs a few months ago and loved it!!!!😎

Feathers and Nacets in my R41 and 39c give me a glassy smooth BBS, provided I'm careful to not cut myself. The problem is they eliminate the hair at root level almost, and I cannot shave again in 24 hrs and my shaving schedule goes for a toss. 48 hrs is OK, but even then, there are patches which are still a bit too smooth for a 3 pass shave.

Hence I stick with GSBs, Astras and 7 o'clock greens which are sharp enough and quite smooth.

Top Bottom