What's new

Shark SuperChrome, some thoughts

I'm about half way through my first Shark SuperChrome, so I thought I'd share my experiences with it.

I put it in my RazorRock German Slant, mainly because I have found that Lord blades don't last very well for me in a SuperSpeed or Slim. No need to repeat the experience with Rainbow blades, barely made 28 shaves that Feb, it was rough.

Anyway, interesting blade. Much like a Derby Extra, in fact -- same prickly sensation while shaving and the same dragging, and the same close very comfortable shave. Feels pretty bad on the first pass, but I'm getting exceptional shaves, very clean and long lasting, and the second pass is quite comfortable.

Other than the spot I've developed on the point of my chin that seems to have a weeper on it no matter what blade or razor I use, no weepers, no irritation after the shave, just that prickly feeling as it cuts the hair. I presume this is due to drag as the hair goes across the bevel as it's cut, not the edge being dull -- dull blades give me remaining stubble, not pulling sensation.

Just started on the second edge the other day, so unless I decide I dislike the prickly sensation more than I like the clean shave, I should get around 80 shaves out of this blade. Very good for the price, well above average in shave number (mean is 62 or so shaves per blade, maybe 70 if I discount a few learning experiences early on).

I will try a Derby Extra again soon using my German no-name bakelite slant -- unless it peels me or something, it looks rather fearsome.

If you haven't tried one of these blades in a slant, the combination is great. If you can handle the drag, that is.

I haven't tried many other blades yet but Shark SC is my current favorite. I do get a tuggy feeling sometimes depending on the razor.

Lol, I have other blades with no tug (Personna Blue and Gillette Silver blue at the moment), but they both give me a lot more weepers (especially the Personna right now) and more irritation without any closer shave. I'll take the tug over bleeding.

I love the Shark blades, but prefer the super stainless over the super chrome; I find it a little smoother. No way could I get that many shaves out of a blade, though!

Lol, I have other blades with no tug (Personna Blue and Gillette Silver blue at the moment), but they both give me a lot more weepers (especially the Personna right now) and more irritation without any closer shave. I'll take the tug over bleeding.

Interesting example of YMMV!!

For me Personna Labs and GSB are top tier: sharp, smooth, comfortable and (by my definition) long lasting! (I don‘t expect to ever get 70-80 shaves from any blade!)

Shark SC are solid, mid-tier blades that are sharp enough, reasonably smooth and long-lasting. I rate them a cut-below my favorite Lord option (the Silver Stars).

I suggest that the solution is to save a SC for the upcoming B&B SHARK WEEK!! :a29:

A medium blade for me. I wouldn't go out of my way to get them, because there are around half a dozen I prefer, but these perform ok.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
With Shark blades I find the first couple of shaves to be quite harsh then they settle down. I have found that “corking” the blade can sometimes take the harshness out of the blade.

I haven't tried many other blades yet but Shark SC is my current favorite. I do get a tuggy feeling sometimes depending on the razor.

Why would you consider a blade that is tuggy to be your favorite?????

Try some blades that are do not tug and soon you will have a new favorite. Many blades become sharper after the first shave, so if the only time you get tugging in on the first pass of the first shave, you might be able to live with that.

Also, you make a good point about "depending on the razor". I like using less sharp blades in more aggressive razors, but the Shark SC is too dull for me in any razor I own, including the Muhle R41.

Generally, if you are getting weepers, the fault is more with your shaving technique than with the blade itself. However, if your technique is marginal, a sharper blade will be more likely to nick you.

The Personna Lab blues are moderately sharp on the first shave, but they have a rather thick "comfort coating". Once that coating wears off, the Lab Blues become extremely sharp. If you do not adjust your technique to accommodate that increased sharpness, they are likely to bite you. Although I can use the Lab Blues, because of that significant change in sharpness, they are not my favorites. I would rather use Personna Israeli Reds that start sharp and stay sharp.

Gillette Silver Blue blades are another blade that can really sharpen up after a shave or two. That may be why you are getting weepers.

If you need a blade a little sharper than a Shark SC, but one that does not become super sharp after a couple of shaves, you might try the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge yellows. They are a mid-sharp blade that are pretty consistent shave to shave.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review
Ive experienced that prickly and dragging with derby. Haven't tried shark.
Over the course of a week i dont think ive noticed persona or gsb getting sharper. But they are some of my favorite blades.

I envy anyone that can get 3+ good shaves off Shark Super Chrome/Super Stainless blades. They are dirt cheap.

I can get 1 smooth not very close shave off a super chrome. The second shave gives me razor burn.

Shark super chrome is typically my blade of choice! Inexpensive, and I get pretty close and comfortable shaves with them. Typically I'll get 4-5 three pass shaves before changing the blade.

A slant razor makes a big difference I think. No name on mine, but it's a German bakelite much like a Fasan and looks like it will eat your face. Instead it's pretty mild, but the angle of the blade makes it slice hair off very nicely. No pressure super smooth shave, not what I usually get with a fresh blade since I always use way too much pressure for some reason. You would think I've have trained my self not to after shaving since 1972, but I still do.

I tried Shark Super Chromes last summer during Shark Week for the first time and really liked they way it shaved for me. Not the sharpest blade by any means but l found them to be smooth.
So I bought a brick and use them from time to time - I'll be ready for Shark Week this summer!
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

These are currently $5/100 on the US internet shopping site named after a rainforest. I may or may not order some... I've only tried the Super Stainless and they weren't at the top of my list. I have a Super Chrome to try in the morning, if it goes well and the sale is still on I'll know what to do.

Top Bottom