What's new

Shark super chrome

what say you gents and ladies on the Egyptian Shark Super Chrome, by Lord.

My first time trying these. My razor, the Rockwell 2C is always set to 3 These are sharp, not like a feather, but also not as smooth as a feather. My first shave was meh, the second seemed better.

What say you
I've found that the best Lord blade (for me) was the Rainbow blade.

Interesting tale: Tried one a few days ago, liked it. '56 Flare Tip.

Today I tried a new blade in a '57 Red Tip. Awful! Mid shave I put the blade in the milder Gillette. Lovely.

So, works fine for me in one razor, and not in a slightly more aggresive one.

I got some with my Parker Variant, and they seem usable enough on my face, in the same general ballpark as Astra or Crystal, and a noticeable step above Derby or Dorco.

I used one today for the first time. It was nice. It felt smoother and sharper than the Astra sp’s I’ve been using. I have some shark stainless, lord chrome and stainless still to try as well

So far out of the Lord factory, I've tried Big Ben, Crown, and Asco. I like Asco and Crown, Big Bens didn't work for me at all. Still have a few left in that tuck and I'll go back to them eventually, but I've got 100 Ascos, and other blades, so it's going to be a while. I'll give them a shot before I go back to Derby Premium again though.

I have about 150 Shark Super Chromes. Though admittedly I bought them in haste for a great price. Sharp but not too smooth on the first shave (think SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum). On the second shave it starts to mellow down a bit. Will have to continue using it to see how it evolves over time. Seeing how the blade is on the aggressive side I dialed down the Merkur Futur to setting 2 on the second shave but I could feel it getting smoother.
I like the packaging. Looks cool. Makes me think of the 50's (long way before being born :p ).

I've been a Shark fan for quite some time now as I started with the Super Stainless and they had worked very well up until I tried the Super Chrome and that "IS" the go to blade now in both of my razors... I find that just about any blade I use, the 1st shave out of the tuck is always slightly rough. I just make note of said roughness and usually pay a little more attention to angle for that shave but shaves #2-5 are very smooth for me. I don't usually go past 5 shaves on a blade as I've had some go to 10 shaves and then I've had some give up the ghost on shave #6 so 5 is the magic number for any DE blade...

To directly answer your question, I haven't tried them yet. However . . .

I just finished 5 uses of a Shark SS and really liked it. As others have said, I would put it in the same neighborhood as the Astra SP's.

In my enthusiasm for the blade I thought I'd check the 'bay to see what they might have. Found a listing for $9.27 for 100 and jumped on it. Wasn't until I look at the purchase confirmation did I realize I'd bought the SC's. My face seems to favor coated blades over outright 'stainless', but it really took to the Shark SS. So I'm hoping the SC's are a very similar experience.

To directly answer your question, I haven't tried them yet. However . . .

I just finished 5 uses of a Shark SS and really liked it. As others have said, I would put it in the same neighborhood as the Astra SP's.

In my enthusiasm for the blade I thought I'd check the 'bay to see what they might have. Found a listing for $9.27 for 100 and jumped on it. Wasn't until I look at the purchase confirmation did I realize I'd bought the SC's. My face seems to favor coated blades over outright 'stainless', but it really took to the Shark SS. So I'm hoping the SC's are a very similar experience.
I would say their not the exact same shave. I think the SC is smoother from the start than the SS. If you find that you don't care for the SC hit me up. i have some SS's if you want to trade some...

I thought they were ok. Nothing brilliant, but gave an adequate shave.
There are about 7 or 8 other blades I prefer out of the 25 or so types I've tried, so won't be using again.

I like both the Shark SS and the Shark SC blades. When I started DE shaving, the sampler pack that my wife bought for me had 3 Shark SS blades; recently received a tuck of Shark SC blades. For me, the SC is better than the SS, and I do like both versions.

However, I'm in the camp where the 1st shave is decent but not as good as shaves 2 - 4. After the 4th shave, performance goes back to being like the 1st shave. I can get 4 - 6 shaves with them.

Shark ss is generally my go to blade, have never tried the sc. I really should.

I heard somewhere that the shark blades do not come out of the same factory in egypt as the rest of the lord blades. Some sort of take over a few years back - so don't discount shark if you don't like the rest of lords blades (or vice versa).

I liked them well enough that I have around 1000 of them.

They go good with a 40's style Super Speed.
I stopped at less than a thousand blades.
I still have about five hundred left.
After some calculations, I realized I'd have to stop growing my Winter beard.

Then I got into str8s, which has turned into something
not unlike a bad habit.

I got a puck each of Shark Chrome and Super Stainless in a recent blade sampler. I thought the Chrome better than the SS. I got 3 or 4 shaves from the Chrome and 2 from the SS. Sharp enough, but not long lasting. I can get 10 shaves from a Feather, 15 from a Gillette Silver Blue, and 30 from a Polsilver. Yes, the Sharks are cheaper initially, but not on a per shave basis.

I got a puck each of Shark Chrome and Super Stainless in a recent blade sampler. I thought the Chrome better than the SS. I got 3 or 4 shaves from the Chrome and 2 from the SS. Sharp enough, but not long lasting. I can get 10 shaves from a Feather, 15 from a Gillette Silver Blue, and 30 from a Polsilver. Yes, the Sharks are cheaper initially, but not on a per shave basis.

I only use my blades to 5 shaves per blade and it has never mattered what brand of blade it was that I had used. Could I get more, certainly but why? Shave per blade doesn't mean much to me in the sense of Shark vs Feather vs Gillette... All I know is that the last time I bought a package of multi-blade cartridges they were almost $30 for 5 cartridges and that made me switch to safety razors and from a per shave basis I'm so far ahead of the game here its not even funny and I don't have to worry when I pick my razor up to shave whether today was going to be that shave that pulls and tugs and then I have to stop mid shave to change the blade and it just goes on from there!!

Where I'm going with all this is I paid $0.09 per blade for my Shark blades and I use them for 5 shaves. I paid last almost $6 per multi-blade cartridge that lasted the same amount of shaves so that is why I'm so far ahead... $5.92 per week I have saved and that is why I'm in this... People place too much emphasis on a per shave basis when it comes to DE blade vs DE blade and it means nothing!! Mere cents on the dollar!!

Top Bottom