What's new

Shark Platinum ??

I have been using Shark Platinum almost exclusively the past month. I have several razors I rotate through. I also have a fairly thick tough beard on my neck. I have found that with the Shark P I get two comfortable close shaves with any of my razors and the third shave is less comfortable, the blade drags and leaves razor burn and doesn't seem to shave as close. Obviously i need to start changing blades after the second shave. I wonder, is this normal for this blade? :07:

My prior relationship with Shark blades has been a dull one. Shark Super Chrome blades were just not sharp enough to slick through my coarse beard. I gave away the few packs that I had in my den as I had no intention of using them.

When I learned about the new Shark Platinum blades, I figured I would give them a try, hoping that they would be sharper than the previous Shark blades I had tried. At this point, I only have one shave on the new blades, but the results were favorable. I put the Shark Platinum in a Karve brass razor with D plate SB. I used it to shave the left side of my face. For the right side, I used DE89 and R89 razors equipped with SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum and Dorco STP301 Prime Platinum blades. These later two blades were on their second use. Thus, I expected them to be sharper than the Shark Platinum blades.

The Shark Platinum blade was very smooth. However, it was also very sharp. It was sharper than the SuperMax Blue Diamond and as sharp as the Dorco Prime. I did a three pass shave and found the Shark side was closer, but that may partly be due to the difference in razors. Thus, when doing my cleanup pass, I used the Shark for both sides of my face ending up very close with zero irritation. I have sensitive skin, so lack of irritation is important.

It will take a few more shaves comparing the Shark blade to others in my den before I draw a final conclusion. I especially want to compare it to extremely sharp blades like BIC Chrome Platinum, PermaSharp Super, Gillette Nacet, and 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black. I also need to check longevity, although for me that is not critical as I rarely use a blade for more than three shaves. If it gives three close, comfortable shaves, I will not be disappointed. From what I have seen so far, these blades will be keepers.

The older I get, it’s more normal for any blade to be toast after two shaves. They’re 10 cents a piece. Just toss it after two.

The older I get, it’s more normal for any blade to be toast after two shaves. They’re 10 cents a piece. Just toss it after two.

Although there are exceptions, for many of us aging causes our beards to become tougher and our skin to become thinner and more sensitive. Thus, blades can either become too dull to slice our beard, or too harsh for our skin.

I can normally get three shave from most blades with some blades occasionally making it to shave four. Although Feather blades are wonderful on the first shave, I cannot even complete the third shave before they start to feel harsh.

Another forum member, however, says he has used a single blade up to 100 shaves. Obviously, his beard and skin are not like mine. Thus, my advice is that you use a blade until it is no longer capable of doing the job you want it to do, whether that is two shaves or several dozen.

Another forum member, however, says he has used a single blade up to 100 shaves. Obviously, his beard and skin are not like mine.
Does he shave one single hair at a time? :001_tongu

I shaved with those Sharks yesterday for the first time. They feel sharp and smooth, but as with other platinum coated blades they make my skin feel weird and mildly irritated after. Perhaps I have some allergy to the damn metal, but I don't experience the same thing with BIC Chrome Platinum for example, might be more chrome than platinum, who knows. I will continue using them for some shaves to assess them better.
IMG_20190813_201910.jpg

Does he shave one single hair at a time? :001_tongu

I shaved with those Sharks yesterday for the first time. They feel sharp and smooth, but as with other platinum coated blades they make my skin feel weird and mildly irritated after. Perhaps I have some allergy to the damn metal, but I don't experience the same thing with BIC Chrome Platinum for example, might be more chrome than platinum, who knows. I will continue using them for some shaves to assess them better.
View attachment 1007869

From a chemistry standpoint, platinum can act as a catalyst for other reactions. A catalyst is a material that facilitates other reactions without itself being consumed. That is why it is often found in catalytic converters of vehicles. Some people can get dermatitis from contact with platinum, especially things like jewelry that are worn for extended periods. Some people are also sensitive or allergic to nickel, a component of some stainless steels.

From a chemistry standpoint, platinum can act as a catalyst for other reactions. A catalyst is a material that facilitates other reactions without itself being consumed. That is why it is often found in catalytic converters of vehicles. Some people can get dermatitis from contact with platinum, especially things like jewelry that are worn for extended periods. Some people are also sensitive or allergic to nickel, a component of some stainless steels.

Good explanation!! :a21::a21:

I have experimented with these blades, and I was not very pleased with them until I tried them in my Gillette New Improved from 1922. Now I am quite fond of them.

Funny thing it that I had some problems finding a blade that worked well for me in that razor.

Top Bottom