What's new

Shark Platinum... what happened??

My blade bad luck struck again. Had been having some great shaves with the Shark Platinum sample tucks. Much better than the SC and SS.

Fast forward to today, I get home from work in a good mood for a shave. I open a new 100 pack of Platinums that I bought a while ago. I noticed they are not in their traditional yellow wrapper. They have a white wrapper with red lettering and no wax.
Bad shave, scrapper. Tried a few more and they are the same. Now if I want Platinums, I got to make sure they are in their yellow wrappers.

Good thing they are not expensive but it still bothers me. Now if I want them, I got to make sure to ask if they are the yellow wrapper ones.

My blade bad luck struck again. Had been having some great shaves with the Shark Platinum sample tucks. Much better than the SC and SS.

Fast forward to today, I get home from work in a good mood for a shave. I open a new 100 pack of Platinums that I bought a while ago. I noticed they are not in their traditional yellow wrapper. They have a white wrapper with red lettering and no wax.
Bad shave, scrapper. Tried a few more and they are the same. Now if I want Platinums, I got to make sure they are in their yellow wrappers.

Good thing they are not expensive but it still bothers me. Now if I want them, I got to make sure to ask if they are the yellow wrapper ones.
It would be beneficial to the community if you could supply pics of all packaging and the blades themselves... Where did you purchase your blades from also?

From razor blades club.

Attachments

• IMG_20200115_202458.jpg
    IMG_20200115_202458.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 78
Sorry!

I am far from expert in Lord’s many options. For me their top-brand is the Silver Stars: very nice blades! I also like the SC. Other Lord options have either had inconsistent QC or have simply not worked. But that’s for me, many others here are huge Lord fans.

From razor blades club.
The blade looks very close to the ones I have except the printing on mine I think are a little darker but the wrapper on yours seems to fall in line with the Lord branded blades as they use pretty much a white wrapper with logo and type of blade thats in it. Maybe they are standardizing across the board now in which to save a little bit in the long run. I have read in the past that blades that don't have any glue on them inside the wrapper sometimes have a tendency to be slightly dull compared to glued ones because they move around in the wrapper. That may have something to do with it...

muzichead,

Had the dull problems with some Personna Lab Blues too. All dull on one side, no wax. I already contacted three vendors that carry the yellow wrapper ones.

Alright, quick update: Just received a new pack from a different vendor. I made sure they were the yellow wrapper ones with wax dots, lol!. Will try it tomorrow and post results.

Attachments

• Shark Platinum.jpg
    Shark Platinum.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
Well, just finished a great shave with a Yellow Wrapper Shark Platinum!! Super smooth and sharp; Just like the samples I've tried. Paired it with a GC .84 OC, Stirling Port au Prince and Vetiver WH & Aloe with a bit of menthol.

Barely any feedback from the Alum (neck area multi pattern growth). Was tempted to go ATG but settled with a three pass (one WTG and two XTG) shave.

Sometimes you can get a dud, it sound like you got a bunch of duds. Ive used Sharks in my shavette and theyre just fine. Nothing special but they cut and Im able to get 3 shaves out of a blade.

@Warthog
I would probably contact RBC and let them know as maybe they have no idea the packaging was changed and there were a few duds just in the 1st tuck alone...

Is it possible the white wrapper ones are counterfeit? I tend to stick with major vendors when I buy my blades. I get them all from maggards, well worth the extra cost and they stand by their products.

Larry

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Did you try “corking “ the Blade? I have done this with some Sharks in the past and it seemed to work.

I remember doing that with some voskhods. Made them harsher so I stopped doing it.

I'll just keep em in the drawer with the rest of the rejects, lol!!

Top Bottom