What's new

Shark on the loose

Ever since Shark Week, I have been exclusively using Shark blades. I have alternated between two razors. One razor loaded with super chromes, and the other with platinum. It's kind of hard to tell the difference between the two. Both are giving me smooth blood free shaves and usually going about five shaves before they start tugging and causing burn. Soon I will have to give some of my other blades a fairly long trial period. :a14:

Shark Super Stainless deserve some love too. I find them to be sharp and smooth, very mild in general, the only problem is that they last two shaves max, I mean I can tell by the second shave that they are noticeably harsher.

I have not tried the Shark Super Stainless. I have used the Shark Super Chrome and hated them them. They just were not sharp enough to deal with my coarse beard. They gave a most uncomfortable shave.

Recently, I purchase some Shark Platinum, which are the latest offering by Shark. Some have speculated that they are the same as the Lord Platinum blades in a different package. I can not confirm this one way or the other but I can confirm that the Shark Platinums are great blades, both sharp and smooth.

If you like Shark blades, be sure to try the Platinums.

If you do not like Shark blades, be sure to try the Platinums. They may change your opinion of Shark as they did mine.

The Shark SS is really smooth, just not very sharp. New blade this AM in Merkur 37C. 5 passes needed to approach BBS.

The previous Shark SS was binned after 2 shaves. I had moderate razor burn on the neck.

I will add, one edge felt sharper than the other.

My wire for hair needs a sharper blade.:001_smile YMMV

Ever since Shark Week, I have been exclusively using Shark blades. I have alternated between two razors. One razor loaded with super chromes, and the other with platinum. It's kind of hard to tell the difference between the two. Both are giving me smooth blood free shaves and usually going about five shaves before they start tugging and causing burn. Soon I will have to give some of my other blades a fairly long trial period. :a14:

Shark Week is always fun!! :a29:

You make a great point about giving blades a fairly long trial period!!

5 passes needed to approach BBS.
I think this says more about the razor than the blade!! I use Shark SC's exclusively in my Timeless Ti95DC every other day and every shave is a 2 pass BBS that lasts on average for over 30 hrs, hence the reason I only shave every other day...

I think this says more about the razor than the blade!! I use Shark SC's exclusively in my Timeless Ti95DC every other day and every shave is a 2 pass BBS that lasts on average for over 30 hrs, hence the reason I only shave every other day...

You must have a very slow growing beard. Even if I achieve a BBS shave, mine only last 6-7 hours at most.

You must have a very slow growing beard. Even if I achieve a BBS shave, mine only last 6-7 hours at most.

While musichead does have a point about using a more efficient razor, I have shaved with a Shark SS and as RayClem said it lasted 6-7 hours tops.

I do have an ATT R1 I can try the other tuck with.:001_smile

While musichead does have a point about using a more efficient razor, I have shaved with a Shark SS and as RayClem said it lasted 6-7 hours tops.

I do have an ATT R1 I can try the other tuck with.:001_smile

I have not tried shaving with a Shark SS, but a Shark SC will barely cut my beard. I guess if I could get a BBS shave by pulling each hair out by the roots it might take a while to grow back. That is the only way I am going to get a BBS shave from a Shark SC and I doubt a Shark SS is much better. However, I do like the Shark Platinum. I can get a BBS shave with them, but it will only stay that way a few hours.

@RayClem i bought a 100 blade sampler with the purpose in finding a good fit for the Merkur 37C and my fickle skin.

Thanks to your suggestions in post #3 I will probably add the Shark Platinums or the Lord Platinums.

Actually its not a slow growing beard, the Ti95DC w/ SC loaded cuts my beard so close its a very long lasting BBS. Best shave combo I've ever used!!

I have a few tucks of Shark SC...and to tell the truth I do not like them at all. A very rough irritating shave at best. Not sharp and not smooth. BUT...that is the beauty of this hobby. For some they work well. Just not for me. :(

Shark SS works well for me. At some point, I plan to try Shark Platinums ... from reviews here sounds like a number of folks like them.

Pretty much the same position as the OP.
I took part in Shark week with a Shark SS. I was pleasantly surprised by them. So surprised I ended up using the other 4 and would probably replace them if I didnt have another 200 blades or different varieties to work through.
I only neck shave and would say I have average growth and density and they worked perfectly well for 4 shaves and got a little tuggy for the 5th and 6th so would chuck it after that. Each shave I got a definite DFS verging on BBS with no irritation, cuts or weepers each time with 3 passes.

I broke out the shark SC and SS in honor of shark week also. As well a trip to the beach. The ss tugged in my EJ 89, but no weepers or cuts and two presentable shaves. In my red tip the ss did two very close shaves without a tug or a scratch, but they weren't comfortable in either razor. Lord ss was so close in performance and blade feel that I think they are the same blade.

The first SC shave in my EJ 89 was sharp but not all that comfortable. Did a BBS on my second and third shave after it calmed down and with somewhat decent comfort. In the red tip just a little too rough but also no cuts or weepers,

I tried the Lord Platinum, but feel it is a step down in sharpness compared to the Personna reds and two steps down in comfort from same.

I'll try the Shark Platinum when available in a trial pack. Sharks, to me, are a very forgettable blade. There is nothing really wrong with them and nothing really great about them. I don't think I'll be a Lord/Shark fanboy. I am looking for something that is a little less sharp than the reds but just as comfortable.

I've tried the Shark super stainless and I liked them. To me they feel very very similar to Astra.
That's pretty much my experience as well. They're sharp and smooth but they start to tug towards the higher single digit numbers. I usually use the blade upto 5 uses and then toss em away.

Top Bottom