What's new

shark chrome, platinum and SS

this past week I did a comparison of these 3 blades from shark. I had 3 Slim razors out at the same time each loaded with the respective blades on setting 3. this way I was able to immediately compare the difference of each blade on subsequent strokes. I did this over several days with everything being identical but the blades. I mixed up the slim razor and blades combination to take into any consideration in case each slim razor shaved a bit differently.
while not scientific I can say each time the platinum came out best and the chrome and stainless steel were basically identical. I would even grab a razor without seeing which blade was which to take out any perceived bias and each time I could tell which was the platinum. the rest of the time it was hard to tell when it came to the chrome vs SS.
I still got great shaves from those two but the platinum was just a bit smoother. ymmv of course.

I've only tried the Chrome so far. Average to above average blade.

I suspect I would prefer the platinum, as I prefer platinum blades over stainless as a rule. I suspect it's due to the fact that the platinum is a little slicker than the plain stainless once the PTFE coating wears off.

I have tried the Shark Chrome. They are not nearly sharp enough for my beard. I have not tried the Stainless. I did get some of the Shark Platinum blades. They are not my favorite blade, but they are much sharper and smoother than the Chromes.

I have tried the Shark Chrome. They are not nearly sharp enough for my beard. I have not tried the Stainless. I did get some of the Shark Platinum blades. They are not my favorite blade, but they are much sharper and smoother than the Chromes.
I am almost convinced the chrome and SS are the same blade.

agree, not the sharpest blades . I found them to be a nice balance of smoothness and sharpness. no feather for sure.

I started with the Shark SS 4 yrs ago and they were my favorite blade for almost 2 yrs until I tried the Shark SC and that became my go to blade. I tried the Shark Platinum and found they were lacking in the sharpness category for me and stayed with the SC's. I can tell a definite difference between the SS and SC for sure as the SC are just smooth from shave 1 where the SS needs at least 2 shaves to settle in.

I also have some Silver Star's that are made by Lord also that are in regular rotation for me and I find them very much on par with the Shark SC's in sharpness and comfort. I recently picked up a tuck of BIC Chrome Platinum's that I find not as sharp on the initial shave but shaves #2/3 so far haven't been too bad. I am finding them to be on par with Nacet's. The jury is still out for now on whether they will make the cut!!

I get about 6 pretty good shaves out of a Shark SS or a Shark Chrome. They’re not in my top tier, but they’re good for the price. I’ve never tried a Platinum.

I started with the Shark SS 4 yrs ago and they were my favorite blade for almost 2 yrs until I tried the Shark SC and that became my go to blade. I tried the Shark Platinum and found they were lacking in the sharpness category for me and stayed with the SC's. I can tell a definite difference between the SS and SC for sure as the SC are just smooth from shave 1 where the SS needs at least 2 shaves to settle in.

I also have some Silver Star's that are made by Lord also that are in regular rotation for me and I find them very much on par with the Shark SC's in sharpness and comfort. I recently picked up a tuck of BIC Chrome Platinum's that I find not as sharp on the initial shave but shaves #2/3 so far haven't been too bad. I am finding them to be on par with Nacet's. The jury is still out for now on whether they will make the cut!!

Interesting! I find Shark SC to be rather dull for my beard. The Shark Platinums seem to be much better for me. BIC Chrome Platinum and Nacets are my favorite blades.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I quite like all the blades in the Shark range. First time I ever used them I was a little apprehensive as I found them a little harsh and thought that they might need corking. It was just a bad blade. The rest have been fine.

while not scientific I can say each time the platinum came out best and the chrome and stainless steel were basically identical
I am almost convinced the chrome and SS are the same blade.
The Shark Super Chrome and Super Stainless are definitely not identical to me. The Super Stainless is perceptibly sharper. With the Super Chrome I need to use very aggressive razors, say Progress @5, or Ming Shi 2000s @6.

I like SS and get 2 shaves from them. Chrome....did not work for me.....rough....pulling....had to abort and toss it. Plat I have not tried, only the Lord Plat and that one is very nice. We are all different.....

I like SS and get 2 shaves from them. Chrome....did not work for me.....rough....pulling....had to abort and toss it. Plat I have not tried, only the Lord Plat and that one is very nice. We are all different.....

I wonder if the Lord Platinum and the Shark Platinum are the same blade in different packaging. I would not be at all surprised.

Top Bottom