What's new

shark blades

hi im thinking of trying some of these on my next order . could anyone give me a idea where they sit in regards to the Gillette permasharp
or the derby premiums so I can judge what they will be like .
thanks .
s-l500.jpg

They are made manufactured by Lord in Egypt. Not as sharp as the Gillette 7 o’clock Permasharp but sharper than Derbys.

I can't compare to Gillette Permasharp or Derby Premium, but I found them to be noticeably sharper (and smoother) than Derby Extra at least on the first two shaves; after that they decline quickly for me. Another blade from the Lord family - Silver Star - has replaced Shark SS as my favorite blade - they have much the same feel as the Sharks, but are a little sharper still and hold on to that sharpness for much longer. I generally get 6 shaves out of a Silver Star vs 3 from Shark SS.

A recycled aluminum can would be better than anything derby has to offer. In the ecosystem of an over-saturated market, lord's offerings are pretty low on the food chain. I've tried to make just about everything work that they offer, to no avail. Their two last "new" blades were racer super platinum and shark platinum, neither of which were favorable. Shark super chrome and super stainless were equally as awful as rainbow stainless and big ben. They're an ok blade if you're just starting off because you have to try really hard to cut yourself. If you don't know which one to pick, choose one at random because I've always had the suspicion they're the same blade with a different name. You want a good blade? Try a gillette nacet, a gillette super stainless green, gillette silver blue, astra green, rapira super stainless, rapira platinum lux, laser ultra.

allrighty then seems they are just above mid-way on the chart so may give a pack of 5 a look might work for me as I dont need razor sharp just need well it to be a sharp razor .

I get decent results from the Shark Chrome blades. The few Shark SS I’ve used over the years were just ‘meh’. I second the recommendation of the Lord Silver Star blades though.

Last edited:
Just goes to show how YMMV goes in wet shaving as I started with Shark SS blades which I favored over Astra SP's when I first started shaving in 2016 and it was the blade I compared all others to and in 2018 I switched to Shark SC's and basically am using them exclusively to this day. I have tried everything from Feather, Kai, Perma Sharp, GSB, Yellows, Blacks, Platinum's, Polsilver's, Voskhod's, and quite a few more and still favor the Shark SC's my a mile over everything else... I will add the worst shaves I've ever had were with Feather, Kai, and GSB's... I recently tried a Feather in my Ti95DC and though it wasn't as bad as it once was it still wasn't anywhere near the shave I get with the Shark SC!!

Sharks are part of the large Lord blade line-up. Of the Sharks that I have tried, the SC is my personal favorite while the SS are fine blades that I would classify as mid-tier: far better than Derbys but not as sharp as Permasharps.

In any event, you buy some to try but SAVE A BLADE OR TWO FOR SHARK WEEK 2020!!

hi im thinking of trying some of these on my next order . could anyone give me a idea where they sit in regards to the Gillette permasharp
or the derby premiums so I can judge what they will be like .
thanks .View attachment 1024173
Blades and the razors you pair them with are definitely YMMV!! But that's where a lot of the fun comes from!!

For me, I found out during Shark Week 2019 that my face prefers Shark SS blades over Shark SC blades. +1 what @BigJ said, save a blade or two for Shark Week 2020 (usually the last full week of July).

Derby Premium blades are very good blades; 1st shave is ok, 2nd thru 4th shaves are very nice. I would put these at the top of the middle of the pack, although I'll only get between 4 - 6 shaves per blade.

In any event, you buy some to try but SAVE A BLADE OR TWO FOR SHARK WEEK 2020!!

That's a really good point. I've got a stash of Sharks and I keep feeling I should use them up rather than enjoying my Silver Stars, but now I've got the perfect excuse: I'm not wasting the Sharks, I'm just putting them aside for future Shark Week events :)

I have a coarse beard and find that Derby Extra and Shark SC blades are just not sharp enough. However, I recently tried the new Shark Platinum blade and was pleased with them. They were both sharp and smooth. Some have said that they are similar to the Lord Platinum blade, but I have not tried the Lord branded blade.

I don't have either of the OP's blades. However, I find the Shark Super Stainless to be very similar to the Gillette 7 o'clock (Russian) Green, and Gillette Silver Blue. So much so that is choose between them based on price. In fact, I recently bought 200 of the Shark SS for less than $18 Canadian.

These blades are so cheap!
I see them on Amazon for like 6 bucks for 100. I may purchase some, and if I can get at least 4 shaves from them it would be a good deal. Incredible how some shavers claim up to 100 shaves from one.

I just used a shark tonight. Not impressed.
I have been scrolling through a lot of blades lately getting back into DE shaving. And the sharks are a bit sharper than the Derbys, but not nearly as smooth. Reminds me more of the Dorco prime blades. My two pass shave was still very stubbly and a ATG pass resulted in a lot of bloody spots. Feather level irritation with Dorco sharpness.
I got a couple tucks piffed to me a while back and have tried them several times with varying degrees of failure.
But as always, YMMV

My last 3 shaves were with Shark SC blades in 3 different Gillette razors. A little on the rough side , not very smooth.

Top Bottom