What's new

Shark Blades Chrome vs. Stainless

I tried one Shark SS and one Shark SC from a sample pack of 5 each. I have medium beard growth, maybe slightly under medium.
The SC gave me 3 good shaves then started tugging heavily on the 4th shave, very bad shave then, they seemed to have dulled a lot.
The SS gave me 7 good smooth shaves, which is what i get from most blades, and i could try one or two more but didnt.

Overall conclusion: the SS worked great for me, the SC performed about half the shaves. In fact of all the blades i ever tried (SuperMax SS, Astra green and blue, Voskhod, Derby Extra, Derby premium, Gillette Bleue Extra, Gillette Platinum, no name supermarket ones (made in Israel on the box), German Wilkinson Sword) it were the Shark SC that gave me the least comfy shaves.

So weird to read some people get so many shaves with those, they must have very weak and soft beard hairs i guess.
I only get 3 shaves of both the SS and the SS. Looking at how cheap they are I don't care about their longevity. There is no modern blade that lasts more than 5 shaves with my beard. I have much more blades than I would need in my lifetime anyway.

With my whiskers it is the other way round. The Super Stainless is sharper than the Super Chrome. I have used both in more than 5 razors and don't have a particular preference. I use both, but for the Super Chrome have to use an aggressive razor.
Likewise, I've found that the Super Stainless are both sharper and smoother than the Super Chrome, albeit I'm shaving my armpits and legs, since I'm a woman.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

I prefer the super chrome, for me they are smother then the SS, they my not be as sharp as the SS but sharp enough for me. I find the the SC's are compareable with my Astra SP or the German Wilkinson Sword

Tried SS today in my r41. It's actually a decent blade. I didn't think it's too dull, maybe a bit tuggy under the chin against the grain but even in the r41 it feels gentle and you don't really feel the blade, absolutely great for quick morning shaves. Compared to the Astra SP I used 2 days ago, it's a dream. If your beard is not coarse, it's a very very good blade. If it is, it's still very decent imo especially compared to Astra SP or Ladas.

I only get 3 shaves of both the SS and the SS. Looking at how cheap they are I don't care about their longevity. There is no modern blade that lasts more than 5 shaves with my beard. I have much more blades than I would need in my lifetime anyway.

People are different, their beards are different, lucky people get many shave out of a blade, call them LUCKY.

I have tried Shark Super Chrome and Super Stainless blades.
I thought the chrome were smooth, not very sharp but does a nice job. They make a good daily shave blade. The Super Stainless are horrible, just felt like it was tearing at my skin really bad blades. I liked the chrome enough that when I found them for $.05/blade, I bought 100.

Last week, I opened up a 5 blade package and started shaving. It was terrible, I couldn't believe I had purchased a 100 of these blades. I tried it for 3 days before finishing last shave with Gillette yellow. I was so disappointed.

Then today I looked at the blade and it was marked "Super Stainless." I took out more blades from the packs and they were all "Super Chrome". I tried one, and it was like heaven. Apparently, they had placed a SS blade within the Chrome pack. Hopefully, it was a one off. I am now a happy shaver again. Since I hadn't realized the blade was SS it was a good blind test between the 2 Shark blades.
Has this happened to anyone else?
I have tried Shark Super Chrome and Super Stainless blades.
I thought the chrome were smooth, not very sharp but does a nice job. They make a good daily shave blade. The Super Stainless are horrible, just felt like it was tearing at my skin really bad blades. I liked the chrome enough that when I found them for $.05/blade, I bought 100.

Last week, I opened up a 5 blade package and started shaving. It was terrible, I couldn't believe I had purchased a 100 of these blades. I tried it for 3 days before finishing last shave with Gillette yellow. I was so disappointed.

Then today I looked at the blade and it was marked "Super Stainless." I took out more blades from the packs and they were all "Super Chrome". I tried one, and it was like heaven. Apparently, they had placed a SS blade within the Chrome pack. Hopefully, it was a one off. I am now a happy shaver again. Since I hadn't realized the blade was SS it was a good blind test between the 2 Shark blades.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Having an extensive background in manufacturing, I gotta say your story makes no sense bro. Even if they ran both products on the exact same line, it would be at two totally different times and those two products would never come no where near each other, even when they were finished and wrapped and stacked on pallets they are going to have two different storage locations.

I mean unless an employee might of thought it was funny to slip a super stainless blade somewhere into the mix of thousands of super chrome..... But that would be a pretty lame practical joke.
But I guess not as lame as inventing a story just to claim having done a blind test of two blades that both come with pretty good reviews attached to them.

I revisited the Shark Super Chrome, which I initially didn't like as much as the Super Stainless. To my surprise, the Super Chrome blades worked great for me. They were both sharp and smooth in my mildest razor, the Gillette Tech.

I have tried both Shark SS and Shark chrome for quite some time.
I found the Shark super stainless to be distinctly sharper and sharper, the chrome to be softer and gentler.
However these Sharks are not blades I would consider for a hundred blade purchase, for my skin Asco SS is definitely superior, I prefer more.

I managed to get my hands on some Shark Super Chromes blades; I liked them more than Shark Stainless Steel blades. (I also tried and liked Shark Platinums.)

Of course, with beards and skin types being so different, the rule of thumb for shaving is really "YMMV" or as we say in the US "Different strokes for different folks." 🙂

I'd point out that a test doesn't have to be blind to be valid. Blind is to remove bias.
On my first test, all the basic stainless failed. My face needed moisturizer to stop the irritation which is fairly objective.
Personna and Treet made it thru when I had no real hope for them

Top Bottom