What's new

Shark bites- Not the kind in the ocean

I have done a fair amount of remodeling and plumbing is the thing I enjoy the least. This year I replaced a toilet in a bathroom and decided to use a shark bite connector instead of a compression fitting or soldering the shutoff. I was telling a friend that is a cabinet maker about using one and he mentioned an incident that he had witnessed . A customer of his put one in a bathroom and before my friend could get there and install a cabinet, the customer's three year old son decided to "help" with the plumbing. The little apprentice was able to get a wrench in behind the fitting a pop it off. It flooded the bathroom and fortunately didn't do two much damage with the water running for about five minutes before it was discovered. It is amazing to me after using shark bites and struggling to take them off how a three year old in a minute can remove one. I guess the next time I need help with plumbing I will call in a three year old.

I prefer soldering, but I have used them in two places where soldering to repair existing pipes were challenging. They have been in place for years now with absolute reliability.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have done a fair amount of remodeling and plumbing is the thing I enjoy the least. This year I replaced a toilet in a bathroom and decided to use a shark bite connector instead of a compression fitting or soldering the shutoff. I was telling a friend that is a cabinet maker about using one and he mentioned an incident that he had witnessed . A customer of his put one in a bathroom and before my friend could get there and install a cabinet, the customer's three year old son decided to "help" with the plumbing. The little apprentice was able to get a wrench in behind the fitting a pop it off. It flooded the bathroom and fortunately didn't do two much damage with the water running for about five minutes before it was discovered. It is amazing to me after using shark bites and struggling to take them off how a three year old in a minute can remove one. I guess the next time I need help with plumbing I will call in a three year old.
Makes me wonder if it was installed correctly. Even with the removal tool they don't always release easily. I like using them.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I was tempted to use one when replacing a pair of water shutoff valves for the washing machine. But I didn't want to hide it under drywall.

This is speculation on my part after reading online, but my worry is that these new quarter turn shut off valves have a longer service life than a shark-bite fitting. That a shark-bite will become the weakest link in the plumbing chain 30+ years from now.

Top Bottom