What's new

Sharing shave soap

I'm curious what folks think bout sharing shave soap. I see that used soap is listed in the BST threads but it seems unhygienic. What is the discussion on this?

I usually navigate towards scooped soaps or soaps that have been well tended (ie, rinsed well and dried after each use). Even with a well tended soap, I have an old brush that I can lather and clean further if I feel it needs it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It’s simply a personal thing. Personally, I don’t mess with used soap.

But I also don’t see anything wrong with buying it, giving it a wash, and then using it. It’s just something I’m not going to do.

When I grew up everyone in the house used the bar of soap that was sitting by each bathroom, or kitchen sink. Same goes for public restrooms. People didn't worry about it so much back then.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do not have a problem buying and using a vintage soap that was last used many years previously, and have done so often. I would not care to use one that was in someones current or recent rotation although it probably would be fine to do so. What you consider to be current or recent is up to you.

I fall into the "it's just soap" camp, but... I prefer soap that has been scooped if I'm buying it used. If it's visually obvious a wet brush has been used, I scrape off a layer of the soap and discard it.

I guess when purchasing used soap via BST, at some point I've decided to assume the risk either due to cost savings or product availability. Thankfully most members provide somewhat accurate photos of their offerings, so the buyer should have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I've purchased only a few used soaps, but so far have suffered no known ill effects. I guess if I were really concerned, I would only buy new and/or unused soaps.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The old gas station "rotating towel" comes to kind ...

proxy.php

Speaking of the heebie jeebies.

AA

I just finished watching a video of a professional barber shaving a customer and thought "what do barbers do between customers when using a brush and soap?". So then I thought back to this thread. I think I would now be comfortable with loading a synthetic brush with the used puck to remove the top layer of soap, rinsing off the puck, and allowing it to dry for at least a day with the lid off. As for the brush, just rinse it and maybe palm-lather with some hand soap or shampoo. I'll give this a try if I ever purchase another used puck and see if the "heebie jeebies" persist.

I just finished watching a video of a professional barber shaving a customer and thought "what do barbers do between customers when using a brush and soap?". So then I thought back to this thread. I think I would now be comfortable with loading a synthetic brush with the used puck to remove the top layer of soap, rinsing off the puck, and allowing it to dry for at least a day with the lid off. As for the brush, just rinse it and maybe palm-lather with some hand soap or shampoo. I'll give this a try if I ever purchase another used puck and see if the "heebie jeebies" persist.
This is a good insight! Part two to this questions was if I wanted to upgrade my brush Knott but keep my handle, could I sell my old Knott? The concern seems to be that it may have been in contact with your blood and we don't sanitize brushes like we can razors... Or can we?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
This is a good insight! Part two to this questions was if I wanted to upgrade my brush Knott but keep my handle, could I sell my old Knott? The concern seems to be that it may have been in contact with your blood and we don't sanitize brushes like we can razors... Or can we?
People buy and sell used brushes, including the knots, every day and those who are concerned that this is dangerous or unhealthy will never be convinced otherwise. Which is great news for us used brush buyers. That said I have not seen any used knots for sale without handles. They may be hard to remove intact and would have to be a pretty special knot to be worth the bother. A pretty limited market I would think but possible I suppose.

Soap unhygienic , interesting, and i still buy bar soap for the shower
But would you buy used bar soap for the shower? If you go to the gym and take a shower after your workout, how likely would you be to use a bar of soap someone else left behind?

But would you buy used bar soap for the shower? If you go to the gym and take a shower after your workout, how likely would you be to use a bar of soap someone else left behind?
Better yet i can tell ya i grew up in a small town, population 4000 in middle America. In the 70's the school showers all had their own soap, after you showered you had to step in what was basically a large horse feed trough full of athletes foot powder when you were leaving the shower room. TSLT700561.jpg

Reactions: bjm
Top Bottom