What's new

Share with me...

...your thoughts on the merits of stainless steel interior vs. non-stick surface.

I am considering the purchase of a Le Creuset saucier pan. There are two choices, both of which are 3.5 quarts in size. The stainless steel version is $250 and the non-stick version is only $200. Both are really really on the high side cost-wise for me and I am still trying to wrap my head around making the purchase.

SSP6300-24-gallery1.jpg

So, I need to learn if and how a saucier pan is a must have (or at least a strong want) in the kitchen and whether the extra $50 is worth going with full stainless steel. Or is the non-stick surface a better choice and it is cheaper to boot.

If anyone has personal experience with one or both, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Tim

I much prefer stainless. Yes—you have to use a little oil, but if you heat the pan first, then add oil after the pan is warm you don’t need as much as people think. Plus no matter how much you spend on a non stick pan, the coating will start deteriorating within a couple of years. I’d rather eat food cooked with a little olive oil than deteriorating polymers.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
...your thoughts on the merits of stainless steel interior vs. non-stick surface.

I am considering the purchase of a Le Creuset saucier pan. There are two choices, both of which are 3.5 quarts in size. The stainless steel version is $250 and the non-stick version is only $200. Both are really really on the high side cost-wise for me and I am still trying to wrap my head around making the purchase.

View attachment 1353640

So, I need to learn if and how a saucier pan is a must have (or at least a strong want) in the kitchen and whether the extra $50 is worth going with full stainless steel. Or is the non-stick surface a better choice and it is cheaper to boot.

If anyone has personal experience with one or both, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Tim
I would go with stainless. There’s really no telling what’s used in the non-stick coating. With all the research coming out about the harm that PFAS class chemicals used in a lot of non-stick coatings cause I recently got rid of my one non-stick pan. I’ve been using primarily stainless and cast iron for the past 15yrs. There is a learning curve to Stainless but as @AZBronco mentioned a little oil goes a long way. I vary rarely have any issues with food sticking to stainless as long as I do my part to prep the pan.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yes, a saucier is an extremely useful pan, a fait tout (does it all) if you will. I would not even consider a nonstick pan, let alone a saucier. Its surface will degrade, no matter how you baby it. A classic use of a saucier is making sauces, often using a whisk. Unless you are outfitted with silicone clad whisks, you will not be able to use your saucier for making such sauces. If you are making anything that requires the development of fond, like Swedish meatballs, it just does not develop nearly as well on nonstick as it does on stainless steel. One of the things I use my saucier for is boiling/steaming rice and other grains. If it boils dry, the stainless is easily cleaned. If that happens on nonstick, the outcome may not be as manageable. Assuming you will not ingest any harmful things that were used in making the nonstick surface, it is still generally a messy and dangerous industrial process. So plain stainless is far more earth friendly.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I suggest neither. At that price range you could get one of several different styles of ~ 3.5 quart Staubs. Staub Dutch Ovens | Williams Sonoma - https://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/cookware/staub+dutch-ovens-braisers/brand-attr-m-vendor-ff0012fe5f-1/?cm_type=gnav&isx=0.0.0
If you can handle the weight of one, it has a an interior coating that is wayyyy more durable than a non-stick coating and will provide wayyyy better searing and clean up than stainless.

They feature:
  • Heavyweight enameled cast iron transfers and retains heat evenly.
  • Interior surface is matte-black enamel that is resistant to rust, chipping and cracking and does not require additional seasoning.
  • Traces of quartz on enameled interior provide additional heat resistance and create a textured surface for improved browning.
  • Dozens of precisely placed bumps on the lid's interior funnel evaporated juices directly back down on top of food for moist, tender results.
  • Dishwasher safe.
  • Made in France.

If you can get on All-Clad's mailing list, you'll get the invite to their fairly regular "factory seconds" sale and can get really good prices on stuff just because it has a minor ding or scratch.

Either way, I would go with stainless over nonstick, especially on an expensive pan, since that nonstick coating will start to wear much sooner than you'd like.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I agree with all o
I suggest neither. At that price range you could get one of several different styles of ~ 3.5 quart Staubs. Staub Dutch Ovens | Williams Sonoma - https://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/cookware/staub+dutch-ovens-braisers/brand-attr-m-vendor-ff0012fe5f-1/?cm_type=gnav&isx=0.0.0
If you can handle the weight of one, it has a an interior coating that is wayyyy more durable than a non-stick coating and will provide wayyyy better searing and clean up than stainless.

They feature:
  • Heavyweight enameled cast iron transfers and retains heat evenly.
  • Interior surface is matte-black enamel that is resistant to rust, chipping and cracking and does not require additional seasoning.
  • Traces of quartz on enameled interior provide additional heat resistance and create a textured surface for improved browning.
  • Dozens of precisely placed bumps on the lid's interior funnel evaporated juices directly back down on top of food for moist, tender results.
  • Dishwasher safe.
  • Made in France.

Based on experience, I disagree with one point. Cast iron is not the terrific heat conductor that some other materials are. It is prone to hot spots when used on the stove top. If you cook a pancake on a cast iron griddle and do not center it on the burner, you will have a burner print on your pancake. Of course in an oven that is not an issue. And cast iron fully heated offers a lot of mass, making it terrific for searing. I do not find it well suited to delicate applications. In my experience hands down the best affordable conductor is thick aluminum, and the best regardless of cost is 3mm tin lined (or silver lined!) copper or, for those with limitless funds, solid silver (yes, they actually sell such things). But for a braise or stew enameled cast iron is wonderful, and clean up is a breeze. Plus the colors are cool.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have two chefs pans, which you call sauciers, and both are plain stainless. They are excellent, and are used as general use pans and as woks. The only non-stick pan I have is an old frying pan shock needs replacing... I just haven't decided what with.

My other pans are a stainless three tier steamer (kind of a stockpot plus two steamer trays), an enamelled cast iron marmitout (cast iron pan, with frying pan lid, which together makes a great casserole), and a little stainless milk pan. I'll never go back to non-stick pans.

Thanks to all for sharing their opinions and experiences. I definitely will be going with stainless steel and not a non-stick surface. Although it has its merits and fans I also am going to avoid going the cast iron Dutch oven route.

I have seen a lot of positives about this choice but some negatives as well. Not sure if the handles on a cast iron Dutch oven get hot the way the handle on my Masterclass cast iron skillet does; but, if so, that is a non-starter for me. I have enough of a challenge to not grab the skillet handle with an unprotected hand - I don't need another piece of kitchen hardware I have to do that with.

The one choice I am leaning towards, of several I am now looking at, is the All-Clad Copper Core 5-ply bonded 2-quart saucier with lid.

Anyone have this particular saucier? If so, what has been your experience with it? Satistifed?

Tim

I have discarded all of the non-stick cookware from my home. Non-stick cookware can be detrimental to the health of your pets and to you and the other people in your house. Stainless or Anodized aluminum are my sauce pan choices with carbon steel or cast iron used for sautéing. The Le Crueset enameled cast iron is a terrific product but you must be able to handle the extra weight. My under 100 lbs adult daughter can handle the Le Crueset enameled skillet and has a strong preference for that and uses All Clad stainless sauce pans, including the "cute" but highly functional butter warmer.

My opinion, stainless, cast iron or carbon steel for most of your gear and anything you spend any significant coin on. Non-stick should be reserved for delicate things like eggs and can/should be bought cheap-$20-30 for a decent one. Non-stick surfaces don't last, even with good care, so get something from a kitchen supply store and consider it semi disposable. Cast iron and carbon steel can develop very slick surfaces and may do the job for eggs but having a non-stick around is handy as they are generally more reliable at releasing eggs without breaking the yolk.

Thanks to all for sharing their opinions and experiences. I definitely will be going with stainless steel and not a non-stick surface. Although it has its merits and fans I also am going to avoid going the cast iron Dutch oven route.

I have seen a lot of positives about this choice but some negatives as well. Not sure if the handles on a cast iron Dutch oven get hot the way the handle on my Masterclass cast iron skillet does; but, if so, that is a non-starter for me. I have enough of a challenge to not grab the skillet handle with an unprotected hand - I don't need another piece of kitchen hardware I have to do that with.

The one choice I am leaning towards, of several I am now looking at, is the All-Clad Copper Core 5-ply bonded 2-quart saucier with lid.

Anyone have this particular saucier? If so, what has been your experience with it? Satistifed?

Tim
That copper core saucier is on today's factory seconds sale for $150.
That link may not work for you if you're not on the mailing list

I actually got on the mailing list. I also spoke with someone at All-Clad to find out what if any holiday, new customer, etc. discounts might be available. They directed me to the seconds website. What I am unsure of though is the likelihood of the 5-ply copper clad saucier showing up on the seconds listing. Or if it does, how quickly it and other items might "fly out the door".

Does anyone have experience purchasing items off the seconds website that can speak to what is likely to be available for sale?

Tim

Damn, I never got an email saying the seconds website was active. I was told it would not be active until the 14th! All the saucier pans are listed as out of stock. I take it that means that they are already sold?

Tim

The sales come around 3, 4 times a year - maybe more often. The Copper core works well in my kitchens; induction, gas, resistance coils and ovens. Responds quickly and well. I have experience with their 1,2, and 3-quart sauciers as well as the chiefs pan (pseudo-wok/dome covered, flat bottom wok form-factor). They are more competent than I am and I'm a single-digit degree obsessive when needed, a mad scientist on the fly when it's crunch time.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have the stainless version of the Le Creuset 3.5 quart Saucier and like it very much. I’m also a new fan of Demeyere cookware, but I have not used their saucier and am thinking about getting their small one.

I posted about the Le Creuset 3.5 quart saucier in a different thread. I think it is absolutely fantastic. Most things that one would make in a saucier are more liquid than solid, so clean up has not been a problem for me.

I used to think that All-Clad was the gold standard of cookware, but recently I’ve been turned off by their outsourcing of some lines and lids. Also, as mentioned by @shavefan , if you are going to spend that kind of money, then you might want to consider Demeyere. Demeyere handles have no rivets, which makes cleaning easier. Also the Demeyere pans have a thicker aluminum core and the Silvinox finish improves the release of food from the cooking surface.

Top Bottom