What's new

Shapton HR

My mid-life crisis (which is what I blame all my ADs on :biggrin1:) is kicking in and my mind is wandering to a Shapton HR. This is their "older" glass stones before the HC came out. I currently mainly use a JNat with acceptable results, and get iffy results with a coti or Nubatama 10k Bamboo. I also have a DMT 8EE as well as a half-decent OVB barber's hone.

Being a honing dunce means that simple overcomes mojo, but I have no interest in films at this time
(*I reserve the right to revise this statement later).

Coming off of either the barber's hone or DMT 8EE, which would seem to be a better fit? The Shapton 8K or 16k.

From what I have read, the 8K will provide a "cleaner" edge than the DMT 8EE (i.e. it will improve the scratch pattern), but will the edge be better or just better looking? Likewise, is the 16K's edge noticeably better than that of the 8K? And finally, is the 16k okay as a follow-on to the DMT 8EE or is that too big a jump?

I wouldn't use a B-hone as part of a progression, they're not made for that.
I suppose it can be worked in but it seems like it would be trying too hard for very little gain.

The 8k DMT - is rated in mesh, the Shapton is JIS. I'd suppose you'd get a cleaner edge/bevel off the Shapton.
Some people love DMTs, I don't. I think they're too harsh and inconisistent. But others use them and swear by them.
I've only used up to 1.2k though - maybe the higher grit options are less harsh and more accurate.
Maybe the 6-8 DMTs I've bought were short on quality control. Who knows.

The 16k has been reported to be a tedious stone - I don't think it's best used to clean up anything missing from the previos stage.

So - to venture as theory - I'd go 8k DMT, 8k SP, 16k SP.

Can you do it without the 8k SP - no idea. I'm just prosletyzing here.

Thanks, Gamma.
Based upon a whole bunch of threads, in my search for an "easy" edge, I might just end up trying some film after all as a pseudo-crutch until my JNat skills come up to par. It'll be a helluva lot cheaper than a Shapton, for sure.

If money is burning a hole in your pocket, consider the Suehiro Gokumyo 20K. For an experienced honer it is absolutely boring. I gives a great edge with very little work.

I don't know about the jump from 8K but I have a dmt 1200 and the G20K and will test drive the two if you like. Later, Denny

If money is burning a hole in your pocket, consider the Suehiro Gokumyo 20K. For an experienced honer it is absolutely boring. I gives a great edge with very little work.

I don't know about the jump from 8K but I have a dmt 1200 and the G20K and will test drive the two if you like. Later, Denny

+1....I sold my Gok 20 because I personally prefer to finish on a JNAT. The G20 gives great edges there's no doubt about that, but Denny's right; it doesn't quite give you the full experience of finishing on a natural stone IMHO...The 20k is easy peasy to use, but I like 'figuring out' a natural stone; that's part of the fun of it!

I have done the jump from an 8k Naniwa Snow White to 20k without incident. It does work better when a 12k is added in between, but I think it's doable if need be (8k to 20k)....

Last edited:
It's not that I have money to burn (I don't). I'm looking for the "I'm a dummy, but I can hone" solution.
Strangely, I can hone my Wapi nicely (but not a super duper edge like some of the big boys here), but having trouble with my kamisori.

Indeed, it is. I sold the one I had bought from you (Aug.2012) which set me back on the straight-shave path, then bought another.

How did I know that?

Yasuki can be confounding. It will mock you. Listen closely - you'll hear it laughing.
Took me a while - too long actually, to get my head wrapped around it.
That razor taught me 10-fold what any wedge or ebay beater could ever bring on.

Ahhh, so this is THE one that, when I can hone it, I can feel confident in putting an edge on just about anything?
That said, the "fun" is in learning to hone it! :lol:

Thanks, Gamma. Somehow I don't think that there will be a magic stone to unlock this razor. It'll just be me, it, and some of my existing stones locked in a battle of wills. Methinks you just save me a few hundred bucks.

I wouldn't use a B-hone as part of a progression, they're not made for that.
I suppose it can be worked in but it seems like it would be trying too hard for very little gain.

The 8k DMT - is rated in mesh, the Shapton is JIS. I'd suppose you'd get a cleaner edge/bevel off the Shapton.
Some people love DMTs, I don't. I think they're too harsh and inconisistent. But others use them and swear by them.
I've only used up to 1.2k though - maybe the higher grit options are less harsh and more accurate.

If anything the 8k is less accurate than the 1200 and 600 I own (as well as my previous 1200 and 600). Hard to say with the 220 grit as it's so coarse. No other stones I've ever used come close to the consistency in grit off them... or off the 8k for that matter. If there's one thing I'd never fault DMT's for it'd be consistency in particle size. They require a steady hand and that requires more pressure than a lot of razor honers tend to use, so I can see how people would get inferior results with them, but they cut amazingly accurately when not allowed any "rattling" of the tool on them. They're a surface I rarely hone with one hand on, though with almost every other stone I use my standard method is with one hand.

But yes, shapton 8k edge is much more refined than DMT 8k. I want to say ballpark 1.6micron? vs 3 micron. I don't recall the exact particle size of the shapton, but you can look it up quite easily.

Last edited:
None of any of my DMTs are/were close to being consistent.
Luckily, I never intended to use them for honing in the first place.

Update...... Had a great shave with the kamisori this morning. I probably did too much work with the 1K and it shows a bit (oops), but between that and my oodles of 7:2 sets on Botan, Mejiro and Tomo, I ended with with a great DFS result this morning.

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

Top Bottom