What's new

Shapton Glass 320 (for knives)

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
As much as I love the 500, I finally bit the bullet and bought the 320 from CKTG last night. The 500 is a great stone for knives but I'm looking for something to speed up cutting in bevels and chip repair. Do any of youse guys have the 320? Thoughts?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve got one. It will be fine for that use. For chipped knives, I’d probably use a DMT with some degree of mellowness. The 320 will make pretty deep scratches so you’ll need the 500 afterwards anyway. You might try some slurry from the brown biscuit on it too.

Edit: Oops, I have the 320 Pro. Let us know how the Glass turns out, but I can guess that it will be very fast and I think (but don’t know) that the scratch pattern will be better than the Pro.

325 dmt worn in cuts very fast. I have the atoma 140 as well as the dmt 120 (i think) and find they do make a bit of a mess thru the loupe BUT a fully apexed 140 atoma edge deburred on a strop though will cut arm hair. Most of my kitchen is one stop on 325 dmt. I do have one chef knife for chopping veggies that I bring up to 1200 and then some leather with cbn.

David

but I can guess that it will be very fast and I think (but don’t know) that the scratch pattern will be better than the Pro.
I'm hoping for a fast stone that will clean up quickly with the 500. I have several old dmt 325's here but I have a hard time reading the feedback on diamond plates. Time will tell. I should have the 320 by the weekend.

Steve56

Let us know your thoughts after you've had a chance to get acquainted with it.

The 320 GS is quite nice; and notably faster than the 500x. I have gone straight to the 1k afterwards and it's been fine but I do usuallyu go right to the 500.
I wish there was a double thick option like there is with the 500x.

Steve56

The 320 GS is quite nice; and notably faster than the 500x. I have gone straight to the 1k afterwards and it's been fine but I do usuallyu go right to the 500.
I wish there was a double thick option like there is with the 500x.

Agree with @Gamma Shapton Glass seems to go in 3x steps so 320 to 1k should be fine. Their recommended razor sequence for the HR is 3k/10k/30k.

That said, I don’t have the 320 Glass and am wanting one mow.... Heck I want them all.

I'm hoping for a fast stone that will clean up quickly with the 500. I have several old dmt 325's here but I have a hard time reading the feedback on diamond plates. Time will tell. I should have the 320 by the weekend.
Do you have the interrupted dmts?

At the low grits, the interrupteds have much much better feedback. Might be worth a try if you get tired of the GS.

I actually prefer the continuous for razors, but the interrupteds are quite nice for knives. Sadly I left most of my knife set at a job I left and have not replaced. Lowest I have at the moment in Interrupted is the 600, but Used to have the Coarse and XC, and both were nice.

Update. I got the 320 in and the next day we had a little baby boy so no honing time for me for a while but when things slow down I’ll let you guys know how I like it.

WOW, some guys will do anything to get out of sharpening the knives.....JK - Congratulations on the new arrival David!

David

Congrats David, wonderful news. I hope your son and his mom are doing well!
Thanks Steve! Everyone is doing well. My daughter isn’t wild about this whole attention sharing thing but she’s coping.
WOW, some guys will do anything to get out of sharpening the knives.....JK - Congratulations on the new arrival David!
:lol: Thanks Ronnie!
Congrats!
Thanks!

Congratulations David! Your daughter will be fine, just make sure to give her some attention of her own too. My son was the same way when his baby sister was born and now they are the best of friends. :thumbsup:

David

Congratulations David! Your daughter will be fine, just make sure to give her some attention of her own too. My son was the same way when his baby sister was born and now they are the best of friends. :thumbsup:
Thanks Eric! How old are yours now? Mine are exactly a year apart so I’m hoping they will be buds.
Serves me right for only reading the first few posts. Congratulations.
Haha thanks Ian. Now it’s your turn.

Top Bottom