What's new

Shapton 8k as a bevel setter

I have a razor that was originally honed with tape on the spine. I want to reset the bevel without tape. It’s definitely sharp enough to shave with as is, my question is is 8k low enough in the grit range to properly reset the bevel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you have enough persistence and you start now... by 2027 you might have that bevel set. But, then any 1K stone will do the job in what - 10 minutes. So, that's that.

Jokes aside, if you don't want to buy a lot of stones and happen to have a 2K or a 3K stone, it will work. More laps/time to do it for sure, but it will work.

Good news is that 1K stones are cheap and so it's not a major investment, but then making that jump from 1K to your 8K... well, that's not going to be a great thing to do, as you should have an "intermediary" stone, anything between 3K-5K to go in between. Worst yet, while you can shave off of 8K, you should have a finisher stone, smth. like Nani 12K or Shapton 15K.

So, all in all, that 8K is pretty much useless on its own.

If you want to save on buying stones, lapping film might do the trick OR you can get a "compromise solution", one of those two-sided stones. Naniwa used to have a 3K/10K combo stone. It's a fairly good stone, as 3K makes it possible to set the bevel (albeit with more work) and 10K is just about bare minimum to serve as a finisher. Not ideal obviously, but a "reasonable" budget solution.

As they say - YMMV. Good luck!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It’s definitely not ideal but it’s doable. Mark it up with a sharpie or just check often with a loupe and take off. Circles at the beginning would speed things up. You might be surprised how quickly you get past that old bevel. I’ve done this several times on a coti with slurry and didn’t have any trouble.

The amount of steel that needs to be removed will vary with the square of the bevel reveal width. So a narrow bevel reveal will be much easier to re set to the new bevel angle. In other words a 1mm wide bevel reveal will require four times the amount of steel to be removed when compares to a .5 mm bevel reveal.

Shaptons are pretty aggressive, so if your bevel reveal is narrow, then yes.

I set all my bevels on fast coticules, even removing chips. Play an entertaining movie and I hone away. Some bad restorations may need two movies, but I've stop buying those.

Playing with a fast Turkish to set bevels, and it does pretty good. Less luck with washitas, I have yet to learn those properly...

Thanks for all the information guys, I have an 8k and a 12k and pasted balsa. The only honing I’ve done is refreshes on good blades so far so I’m a little afraid of going too low on the grit. I guess I’ll try the 8k and see how it goes. Worse case I’ll send it to one of you guys to fix for me if I mess it up [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Ditto what Alfredo and David said. A 4k is great, an 8k will take a little longer.

I often start with a 5k and then drop to a 2k if I’m not making progress sufficiently fast. So a 1k is overkill for many situations, especially this one. 8k may take awhile, but will it take longer than ordering something in the 1-3k range and waiting for it to arrive? :)

I was certainly afraid to go lower than 8 k at first but from encouraging from forum members purchased Shapton 2k glass, 6k HC and 8k and up and wow
Even was nervous upon receiving stones but after using , I now can set bevels and perfectly hone my razors..

Shapton Glass stones 2k, 6k are amazing workers and a amazing good purchase working for me

I focus more on my technique and let the stones work their magic [emoji97] but go for it

Answer: Depends how much time you have. Conventional wisdom and experience suggests that bevel setting is most effectively performed on a coarse 600 to 1500 grit stone. Also, prolonging the bevel setting step could result in some unfavorable geometry on your razor which may require additional steps to correct. For me, I set bevels on one of the "top 3" coticules under thick (almost pasty) slurry, or, to save time and stone wear, I whip out my red 800 grit chosera (no soaking required splash and go stone!) for a couple of minutes. Literally, 20 to 30 back and forth strokes with medium to heavy pressure on both sides, following by 15 or 20 x-strokes is all that is needed. Simple, quick, effective.

Re-iterating, I usually think armatures should try what they have first. But not sure about 30k for bevel setting, just based on my reading this forum. Are pro does not have time to mess-around with slow equipment.
Cheers- j

According to this research there is no point in using a lower grit than 4000 if you are using the shapton gs stones. So if there is no major repair been done, i see no benefit of of using 1 k and lower, unless you do this for a living and time is of the essence.

1624368580954.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom