What's new

Shapton 8k as a bevel setter

Interesting that the King 1k is rated 3X faster than the Chosera. Most people would rate the King as slower.

Any particulars of how the tests were preformed would be welcome

Interesting that the King 1k is rated 3X faster than the Chosera. Most people would rate the King as slower.

Any particulars of how the tests were preformed would be welcome
I think he used a piece of steel which he weighed after x amount of stokes. I think the experiment only was meant to say something about grit vs abrasion rate. The chosera would probably cut harder steel better. The link to the site was removed by a moderater.

I think he used a piece of steel which he weighed after x amount of stokes. I think the experiment only was meant to say something about grit vs abrasion rate. The chosera would probably cut harder steel better. The link to the site was removed by a moderater.

I think lower grits would certainly be of more use if your working on harder razors, particularly SS blades, that take a lot longer to wear down. I don't see an indication of any hardness ratings of the metal used, which would be noteworthy.

I think many, including my self starting out think they need to go all the way back to a 1 k ”bevel" setter to reset the bevel. I would only use it for shaping a new bevel after repair work. I also think that you need to use more pressure on a lower grit stone to utilize it’s potential.
After i got my naniwa gouken set 1k, 4, 8 i usually only use the 4 k and the 8 k, and finish with a natural.

Top Bottom