What's new

Shapton 8k/12k hones (right ones?)

Hones arrived. Never done this before so I want to know if I bought the right ones. Another member mentioned that I would need something to hold them and something to make them flat but these seem flat and they came with something to hold them too. So either I am lucky or I just blew a lot of money hahaha.

What say ye Wizards of Badger and Blade?

-Shawn

Attachments

• 2FE79EC2-981E-43D8-BD6F-90AF414475FA.jpeg
    2FE79EC2-981E-43D8-BD6F-90AF414475FA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 81265B1B-8B4F-4F89-9156-B8B4B1DBCB8E.jpeg
    81265B1B-8B4F-4F89-9156-B8B4B1DBCB8E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 10F5425E-A988-4944-8C7F-89C8700288E6.jpeg
    10F5425E-A988-4944-8C7F-89C8700288E6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
They make them flat, he means maintaining their flatness as you use them. Generally as whetstones Get used they wear unevenly and you have to periodically take them to a known flat abrasive surface to true then back up.

Piece of glass with sandpaper on it works, but a lot of people invest in a diamond embedded steel plate.

They look great to me, if you are like the rest of us you will end up with a whole load of stones in time.
These will do a job for you though but there is a bit of a learning curve, was for me anyway.
I felt happier when I bought something to see what I was doing with, in my case an old microscope from the bay, a good loupe would do though.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Nice stones! I’ve just started learning to maintain my SR’s on stones also. For now I’m using 220 grit wet dry sandpaper on a piece of flat granite tile to true the stones after use. It’s working but messy, I would consider a proper truing plate in my future, but for now the sandpaper seems to work. Good luck and have fun on your journey.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
They look great to me, if you are like the rest of us you will end up with a whole load of stones in time.
These will do a job for you though but there is a bit of a learning curve, was for me anyway.
I felt happier when I bought something to see what I was doing with, in my case an old microscope from the bay, a good loupe would do though.
Yes, learning curve indeed. I’m at the guess work and hope I’m doing the right thing stage. Acquiring some old worn razors has been helpful for me to practice, practice, practice. A jewelry buddy gave me a loupe so I can see all my mistakes really clearly now. Resurrecting a few razors has been very rewarding. Dulling the ones already shave worthy hasn’t. Lol

You will need to flatten them. Shapton Pros are never flat out of the box. As is, they 'may' be flat enough for knife work but not for honing razors.

Top Bottom