What's new

Shannon's Soap

I recently received a sample of Shannon's Soap "Etherea" that is made specifically for Timeless Razors. The scent on the soap is initially what drew my attention; my wife just happened to be standing near me when I opened the sample tin and right as I was thinking to myself "oh wow, that smells nice", my wife chimed in (not realizing I had just opened a tin of shave soap nearby) and says "ooh what smells so good?". My wife rarely comments on scents and smells, so I immediately knew this was something I'd have to explore further. The scent profile is warm and masculine, almost like a "spice" type scent but better. The Timeless website describes it as "a bright citrus cologne top end that is finished off by an enticing hint of warm amber, delicate florals, and earthy sandalwood". I'm not a scent guru so I don't know if it smells like all that, but I'm certainly a fan.

I typically avoid scented shaving soaps due to sensitive skin, but still wanted to give the sample a try to test out performance. As much as I liked the scent, the performance of the lather quickly outdid itself in the scent department. I was super impressed with this soap, particularly its slickness and ease of lather. Following a couple of uses, I reached out to Shannon and asked if her "Nil" soap would have similar qualities despite the slight differences in ingredients/formula. She assured me they would be similar, and even offered to put aside some unscented "goat milk" soap next time she makes a batch before adding any scents.

I pulled the trigger on a 4oz tub of Nil, and have been using it daily for a full week now. I have to say, every single day I have just been blown away by the performance of this soap. I have no idea for the life of me why Shannon's Soaps are not more widely talked about. I, for one, am very glad to have found this hidden gem in the wet shaving world.

Using only unscented soaps means I don't ever have a bunch on hand, and I can focus solely on performance as opposed to having to pick between scents. Some of my previous favorites have been CRSW Vetiver Fresco 2.0 (lightly EO scented), Stirling Naked & Smooth, Stirling Beeswax, Mystic Waters Sensitive, and Mike's Unscented (to name a few). I can safely say that for the time being, Shannon's Soap Nil is the new staple in my daily shave routine until something else comes along that bumps it out of that position.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I absolutely love the Shannon's soaps soap I have. Its Lavender and Lemongrass and it's an excellent spring time scent. I've been using it pretty regularly for the last few weeks.

I am a recent convert myself. Your wife may like some of her bath soap and lotion - mine does! I use Shannon's soap every Friday now.
It's been a single edge/Shannon's Sundays for me, I have so much soap to work through that I'm strongly resisting the urge to buy more of it. At the very least I need to sell some...

Edit: changed strong to strongly.

Last edited:
I also have the AS splash of Etherea, ordered it based on the scent from the soap sample. I don't use splashes as a post shave because of my sensitivities to FO, so can't comment on post shave characteristics. However, I like to put some on my upper chest/neck/etc almost like a cologne. The Etherea scent lingers most of the day but isn't overpowering like a few other splashes I've tried. Once it mellows out after the first 30 minutes or so it's just enough to catch a whiff if you're close, but won't project and bother everyone around. Did I mention how much I like Etherea?

Shannon's Nil has been in continuous use for me since January 2016! I have rosacea, so unscented is best for my skin, and my wife's sinuses also appreciate the lack of a strong scent. Mike's and Mystic Water's soaps have also been in use, Mystic Water since November 2015, as it was one of the first soaps (along with Soap Commander's Integrity) that I tried.

Shannon's is one of my top 3. I recently binged on unscented soaps, adding the Stirling beeswax, Hub City's Birthday Suit, and Noble Otter's Bare.

The slickness of Nil was really noticeable when I acquired a Vector. My best shave to date with it are when I use Nil!

Glad to see there are others who appreciate Shannon's Soaps! Anyone have any experience with the Haymarket Vetiver? I see it's an EO only soap, might have to give that one a try on my next order.
I'm a big fan of Haymarket Vetiver. I've tried several other vetiver scented soaps but Shannon's is the one I always come back to. Currently I'm out of it, but I have so many soaps that I just can't see buying another one.

I'm a big fan of Haymarket Vetiver. I've tried several other vetiver scented soaps but Shannon's is the one I always come back to. Currently I'm out of it, but I have so many soaps that I just can't see buying another one.

It seems to be pretty well-received from the comments I've read. I'm not sure how close it is to a true vetiver scent, but CRSW has a soap called Vetiver Fresco 2.0 that I also enjoy. It's a really mild scent, probably on the sweeter side of vetiver.

It seems to be pretty well-received from the comments I've read. I'm not sure how close it is to a true vetiver scent, but CRSW has a soap called Vetiver Fresco 2.0 that I also enjoy. It's a really mild scent, probably on the sweeter side of vetiver.
I haven't tried that one from CRSW, but Jardin d'Orange is one of my all time favorite soaps. I also like CRSW Schapenmelk - for me it's what Mitchell's Wool Fat ought to be.

I dug an old tub of Shannon's out from the bottom of my drawer a couple of days ago. First try with a badger was terrible but it was user error, too much water. So, I switched to a synthetic to make it easier and got a very good lather today. Will try my favorite brushes next, boars.
Imagepipe_5.jpg

Copaiba Rose, Barbershop & Bay Patchouli-Grapefruit are my favorite scents.

Copaiba Rose is just freshly cut roses with a smooth sandalwood base and a tiny bit of citrus to balance it out. Gorgeous....

Barbershop is Shannon's unique take on this manly classic that is herbaceous, earthy yet clean with a hint of a lightly sweetened Basil accord. Not for everyone but, for me is absolutely divine and like no other....

Bay Patchouli-Grapefruit is just that. Earthy, green, mossy & bay leaf aroma with a kick from the grapefruit accord that gets one ready for the day especially after an early morning shave. Fabulous eye opener....

I have the a/s splashes to each corresponding soap and they are terrific creations with performance to back them up. For a non-alcohol based splashed they are top notch. They are the only non-alcohol based splashes that I use regularly.

Been using her products for going on 4 years and Shannon's is definitely an elite soap that competes with the best of them out there. Definitely in my top 3 of best performing soaps regardless of price. Fine Lady too with customer service to back it up......

Shannon's Nil has been in continuous use for me since January 2016! I have rosacea, so unscented is best for my skin, and my wife's sinuses also appreciate the lack of a strong scent. Mike's and Mystic Water's soaps have also been in use, Mystic Water since November 2015, as it was one of the first soaps (along with Soap Commander's Integrity) that I tried.

Shannon's is one of my top 3. I recently binged on unscented soaps, adding the Stirling beeswax, Hub City's Birthday Suit, and Noble Otter's Bare.

The slickness of Nil was really noticeable when I acquired a Vector. My best shave to date with it are when I use Nil!

I just got an email back from Shannon this morning letting me know that she has some of the goat milk formula Nil available. She's considering listing it on the website but if you're interested I recommend reaching out to her before its gone. I'm picking up 2 tubs just to make sure I have some on hand until the next batch is available down the road (assuming it doesn't become a permanent offering).

Top Bottom