What's new

Shampoos and Conditioners

greenerock said:
MamaBear,
Could you use a handmade soap to shampoo your hair too or would regular shampoo be better?

Greenrock, I have to say that I have been thinking about this since yesterday.. I have HAD to take care of my hair because untill last week, it was one length and down past my waist. (during that heatwave last week I finally broke down and cut about half of it off...) but it is still long. Probably too long for a fat 47 year old woman, but I like it.

I have been using commercial shampoos and conditioners, expensive ones but still feel the need to do some further work to it and LOVE to do a weekly or biweekly mayonnaise pack on it. I just slather it on straight out of the fridge and let it sit for 20 minutes before bathing... once I bath in it, my skin feels awesome too! Rincing in stale beer or vinegar is awesome too.

BUT, I also have psorriasis... and this is kept at bay using Nizoral.. the prescription version... the stuff over the counter isn't strong enough to help me. So now I am wondering if I am conteracting chemicals with chemicals! Horrors! Does anyone have suggestions here??

Bear Hugs!

Sue (Mama Bear)

Yes, using shampoos with chemicals may be causing the psorriasis... I never thought of this before untill today, which amazes me! Using homemade soap can help conteract eczema. I wonder if a homemade shampoo would help with the psorriasis

Mama Bear said:
Yes, using shampoos with chemicals may be causing the psorriasis... I never thought of this before untill today, which amazes me! Using homemade soap can help conteract eczema. I wonder if a homemade shampoo would help with the psorriasis
For me, it does. I've had a bad case on my scalp for years and most OTC items did very little to help, except lesser known brands that had natural ingredients and tea tree oil.

I shave my head now days, and have found that by treating the scalp just as you do your face works wonders. I now use the Nancy Boy mild facial cleanser and moisturizer on my scalp for the past 2 months and my scalp is nice and clear. However, I don't think Mama Bear will be shaving her head... :wink:

sue,

my father struggled with psoriasis his entire life until about 4 years ago when he visited an internal medicine physician who, when my father asked if she had any suggestions about how to treat it, nonchalantly said 'sure, get in a tanning bed.' My dad, a bit confused but sick & tired of the prescription meds and OTC junk, bought a 30 day tanning bed membership and gave it 30 days. By day 21, his psoriasis was 90% gone. I mean, skin was healed, not even light pink skin, I mean totally gone. The only spots that remained were trouble spots, that's about it.

Now, it's completely gone. By 90 days after his first tanning, he was literally cured. If you have any questions on more specifics, PM me.

Justin,
How long has it been since he was using the tanning bed? To my un-medical minds knowledge, Psoriasis is a TH1 immune disease and sun exposure raises 125 D Di-hydroxy well above the Merck norm, initially bringing well being, but then a crash that exacerbates symtoms. I have sarcoidosis with neuro involvement which is in the same family and the sun make me sick as a dog.

Sue, I use Rx Nizoral to prevent absorbtion of D when I have to be out in the sun for brief periods. Interesting.....
Sue

Sue said:
Justin,
How long has it been since he was using the tanning bed? To my un-medical minds knowledge, Psoriasis is a TH1 immune disease and sun exposure raises 125 D Di-hydroxy well above the Merck norm, initially bringing well being, but then a crash that exacerbates symtoms. I have sarcoidosis with neuro involvement which is in the same family and the sun make me sick as a dog.

Sue, I use Rx Nizoral to prevent absorbtion of D when I have to be out in the sun for brief periods. Interesting.....
Sue

That IS interesting..... I am going to have to look up the properties of this!

Thanks Sue!

Sue:001_smile

Top Bottom