What's new

Shampoo Frequency

How often do you wash your hair? I'm curious about this since having a conversation with my dermatologist about my habit of shampooing my hair daily. She said I didn't need to do it that often, and added that the amount of oil the hair produces will lessen with less frequent washing.

For purposes of full disclosure, I have a full head of hair, which factors into the question above.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For most of my adult life I washed my hair with shampoo every day but in recent years I have reduced that to every two or three days and my hair and scalp is much better for it. On the days when I do not use shampoo, I thoroughly rinse my hair and scalp with water when showering. It is my belief that it is perfectly possible to use no shampoo at all and still have healthy hair. Many people do just that, although I understand that without shampoo the hair at first becomes very greasy, before eventually improving.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I use a clarifying shampoo maybe three or four times a year. Most of the time, it's just a plain water or herbal tea rinse for me. It's the brushes that do most of the cleaning, particularly in terms of dead skin. So long as I keep the scalp in good order with the brushes and rinses, the hair pretty much take a care of itself.

I rarely shampoo my hair. When I wash it, maybe once a week, it's with a co-wash (conditioner-only wash) with special cleansing conditioners. Otherwise, rinse only. If my hair gets really dirty, say after outdoor activities, I'll shampoo. But it so dries my scalp that I have to do a bunch of post shampoo moisturizing steps.

For most of my adult life I washed my hair with shampoo every day but in recent years I have reduced that to every two or three days and my hair and scalp is much better for it. On the days when I do not use shampoo, I thoroughly rinse my hair and scalp with water when showering. It is my belief that it is perfectly possible to use no shampoo at all and still have healthy hair. Many people do just that, although I understand that without shampoo the hair at first becomes very greasy, before eventually improving.
This is exactly what my dermatologist told me: that my hair and scalp will be much healthier washing my hair less often. And, yes, the hair becomes greasy before settling down and producing less oil.

I rarely shampoo my hair. When I wash it, maybe once a week, it's with a co-wash (conditioner-only wash) with special cleansing conditioners. Otherwise, rinse only. If my hair gets really dirty, say after outdoor activities, I'll shampoo. But it so dries my scalp that I have to do a bunch of post shampoo moisturizing steps.
Is there a brand of co-wash that you prefer?

I use a clarifying shampoo maybe three or four times a year. Most of the time, it's just a plain water or herbal tea rinse for me. It's the brushes that do most of the cleaning, particularly in terms of dead skin. So long as I keep the scalp in good order with the brushes and rinses, the hair pretty much take a care of itself.
Interesting. I've never heard of an herbal tea rinse or clarifying shampoo. I use a nice Kent hair brush, which should take care of dead skin

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Interesting. I've never heard of an herbal tea rinse or clarifying shampoo. I use a nice Kent hair brush, which should take care of dead skin

I have (very) long hair, so I have several Kent hairbrushes. Detangling paddle, woodyhog for oil distribution, a dense bristle brush for keeping the scalp clear, and a smoothing brush. I also have one of their silicone scalp brushes for use when washing/rinsing.

A clarifying shampoo strips everything ( I use Vosene), whereas a lot of commercial shampoos contain silicones and other stuff which gunk up my hair, and cause scalp issues. The rinses (as simple as using chamomile teabags to prep), help me keep things clear without stripping natural oils, or gunking everything up.

Is there a brand of co-wash that you prefer?
I like Carol's Daughter the most, but I haven't seen it the last few times I've looked. Shea Moisture has one that is okay. But I got my last two bottles at T. J. Maxx, which usually means it's discontinued. Currently I'm using Cantu and Creme of Nature. Both fine, not great.

Once or twice a week lately. I condition every day, though. I have a lot of hair and it's wavy/curly so it doesn't like being shampooed frequently, although the grays, which are getting to be the majority, are less curly and less apt to frizz out. A few years ago it was more like once every two weeks.

I'm pretty much on the same schedule week after week. I shampoo on Fridays for the start of the weekend and again on Mondays for the start of the week. I use hair tonics every day so mine looks pretty much the same every day - shiny and in place is my simple wish.

Usually twice each week, but I don't use a lot of shampoo, and don't need to "rinse, repeat." I usually rinse it daily with plain water and brush daily. I keep my hair cut fairly short nowadays and it seem to be fine with this routine.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
What is this "wash" thing you folks are carrying on about?
1651621700151.png

I had to keep a short haircut for work for over 30 years. I washed my hair everyday and thought that was the only way to do it. Now, 4 years after retiring and no haircuts, my hair is down on my shoulders. I only wash it about every 7 days. IMO, it looks the best 2 to 5 days after washing.

Do any of you notice an itchy or flaky scalp if you wash too often or, on the other hand, don't wash often enough? Is there a sweet spot you've found. Have any of you used the dry shampoos? If so, how did they work for you?

How often do you wash your hair? I'm curious about this since having a conversation with my dermatologist about my habit of shampooing my hair daily. She said I didn't need to do it that often, and added that the amount of oil the hair produces will lessen with less frequent washing.

For purposes of full disclosure, I have a full head of hair, which factors into the question above.

Top Bottom