What's new

Shampoo Frequency

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I shampoo my hair everyday. When I was a child my mother washed our hair a few times a week. When my hair wasn’t washed as a child my mother used to use Californian Poppy hair tonic to manage my hair. These days I would rather shampoo it everyday. I have found shampoo bars of soap and I use these a few times to break up the shampoo use.

maybe once a week or less frequently. I'm currently growing my hair out, washing longer hair is counter productive for me unless I need to remove product. Having said that, I end up rinsing out every day or so as result of running/sports.

How often do you wash your hair? I'm curious about this since having a conversation with my dermatologist about my habit of shampooing my hair daily. She said I didn't need to do it that often, and added that the amount of oil the hair produces will lessen with less frequent washing.

For purposes of full disclosure, I have a full head of hair, which factors into the question above.
When I worked in an office, I normally shampooed every day. When I started working at home a few years ago, I didn’t see the need. I started shampooing every other day. The other days, I just rinse my hair. It’s true that your hair will adjust and produce less oil after you start washing it less often.

I have (very) long hair, so I have several Kent hairbrushes. Detangling paddle, woodyhog for oil distribution, a dense bristle brush for keeping the scalp clear, and a smoothing brush. I also have one of their silicone scalp brushes for use when washing/rinsing.

The rinses (as simple as using chamomile teabags to prep), help me keep things clear without stripping natural oils, or gunking everything up.
I had to look up those different brushes to see what you were talking about. The dense bristle brush, just guessing on that one, but if it’s what I’m thinking of, does that even get down to the scalp? I remember brushes my sister and older brothers had when I was a kid. They were fairly dense, but whenever I tried them, the bristles just stayed at the surface level. I didn’t see the point. I never owned that kind myself.

The tea rinse cleans your hair?

I can’t imagine shampooing only 4 times a year, because I would think the hair would get too oily or dirty.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The dense bristle brush, just guessing on that one, but if it’s what I’m thinking of, does that even get down to the scalp?

I remember brushes my sister and older brothers had when I was a kid. They were fairly dense, but whenever I tried them, the bristles just stayed at the surface level.

Yeah, it kind of takes a few swipes in the same spot, before it will go all the way through the hair, but it will get there eventually. The first swipe or two is definitely on the surface, as you say.

The tea rinse cleans your hair?

I can’t imagine shampooing only 4 times a year, because I would think the hair would get too oily or dirty.

It doesn't get it squeaky clean... but that's the point. It doesn't completely strip the oils, and after a few months, your scalp stops producing as much sebum, as it isn't constantly having to over produce, to compensate for having all it's hard work undone every couple of days.

The tea or just plain water rinse will flush out any debris though, as well as excess oils. Once in a blue moon I will "shampoo" with raw egg, followed by a room temperature plain water rinse. You can also use diluted apple cider vinegar. My hair and scalp are both in better condition than when I used commercial products.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The dermatologist who said you don't have to wash your hair everyday. Ya, try telling that to a landscaper or engine mechanic who gets dirty every day. Some advice that dermatologists give is ridiculous. I know what their shtick is, I've heard it before. "Its not good to wash away your natural skin oils, as it can leave your skin unnecessarily dry, and promote bla bla bla."

Ya, well, I will tell you what. I have naturally dry skin to begin with, my head can produce dandruff at remarkable levels within a short period of time. With the work that I do, if I didn't wash my hair every day, my scalp would be itchy all the time. And to add to that, if enough dandruff accumulated, it would be so noticeable, people would think I have lice eggs in my hair.

When I was a kid, I wasn't on my hygiene as much as I should have. And someone pointed that out and accused me of having lice eggs. Ever since then, I have taken greater care to my head hygiene. The reality is, there are products in which you can use, that can moisten your skin, it doesn't have to be all dried out.

But, if you don't wash your hair every day, its only going to promote excess head scalp oils, excess dandruff production, and if your like me, itchy scalp.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The dermatologist who said you don't have to wash your hair everyday. Ya, try telling that to a landscaper or engine mechanic who gets dirty every day. Some advice that dermatologists give is ridiculous. I know what their shtick is, I've heard it before. "Its not good to wash away your natural skin oils, as it can leave your skin unnecessarily dry, and promote bla bla bla."

Ya, well, I will tell you what. I have naturally dry skin to begin with, my head can produce dandruff at remarkable levels within a short period of time. With the work that I do, if I didn't wash my hair every day, my scalp would be itchy all the time. And to add to that, if enough dandruff accumulated, it would be so noticeable, people would think I have lice eggs in my hair.

When I was a kid, I wasn't on my hygiene as much as I should have. And someone pointed that out and accused me of having lice eggs. Ever since then, I have taken greater care to my head hygiene. The reality is, there are products in which you can use, that can moisten your skin, it doesn't have to be all dried out.

But, if you don't wash your hair every day, its only going to promote excess head scalp oils, excess dandruff production, and if your like me, itchy scalp.

A dermatologists recommendations might not be relevant to every individual's needs, but that doesn't necessarily make their suggestions wrong or ridiculous.

I used to work in heavy engineering, and my current "no shampoo" approach would not have worked then. Heavy oils, particles and fumes needed removing. It's only since I became involuntarily "retired" (disability), that I have been able to enjoy the benefits of kicking the commercial products out of my life.

It took my body (scalp) a few months to fully adjust to it, but my hair and scalp are much better than they used to be. That doesn't mean either approach is wrong, necessarily, just that regular shampooing suited my life better then, and hardly ever shampooing suits my life better now.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
A dermatologists recommendations might not be relevant to every individual's needs, but that doesn't necessarily make their suggestions wrong or ridiculous.

I used to work in heavy engineering, and my current "no shampoo" approach would not have worked then. Heavy oils, particles and fumes needed removing. It's only since I became involuntarily "retired" (disability), that I have been able to enjoy the benefits of kicking the commercial products out of my life.

It took my body (scalp) a few months to fully adjust to it, but my hair and scalp are much better than they used to be. That doesn't mean either approach is wrong, necessarily, just that regular shampooing suited my life better then, and hardly ever shampooing suits my life better now.

Interesting!

Hey, I was curious, if you don't mind, what was your job in heavy engineering? And what type of shampoo were you using then? And what shampoo bar are you using now? I am always curious to learn new stuff.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Interesting!

Hey, I was curious, if you don't mind, what was your job in heavy engineering? And what type of shampoo were you using then? And what shampoo bar are you using now? I am always curious to learn new stuff.

It was heavy machine shops, machining components up to 10 tonnes in weight, and producing tooling for machining components up to 400 tonnes each. So neat oils, soluble oils, smoke and fumes, metal and abrasive particles. All kinds of nasty gunk.

I used Aussie brand shampoos and conditioners for many years. Occasionally Vosene. Now, it's mostly just water rinses, herbal tea rinses, and a lot of dry brush work. Sometimes a raw egg, followed by a cool water rinse. I might use shampoo maybe four or five times per year.

It was heavy machine shops, machining components up to 10 tonnes in weight, and producing tooling for machining components up to 400 tonnes each. So neat oils, soluble oils, smoke and fumes, metal and abrasive particles. All kinds of nasty gunk.

I used Aussie brand shampoos and conditioners for many years. Occasionally Vosene. Now, it's mostly just water rinses, herbal tea rinses, and a lot of dry brush work. Sometimes a raw egg, followed by a cool water rinse. I might use shampoo maybe four or five times per year.
How did you come up with the idea of using tea and eggs?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How did you come up with the idea of using tea and eggs?

The internet, of course :)

There's a whole "no poo" bunch of folks, that are even more bonkers than us shavers :lol: Their "Arko" seems to be Apple Cider Vinegar, but there's folks rubbing all manner of edible stuff in their hair, from avocado, to rosemary tea, to honey and lemon, and yes, raw egg.

However, it's critical to rinse with water no warmer than room temperature, otherwise you end up with a severe dose of omelette head, and end up needing shampoo anyway :001_rolle

So, part of that is that when you wash those oils out every day, your scalp over produces in response. So it's kind of a self-sustaining cycle. (Speaking as a guy who's dealt with similar scalp issues). As others have said, your scalp will adjust as you shampoo less frequently. But, as you point out, when you're dealing with sweat, oil, and grime, you still do need to wash regularly. So it's about finding balance. For me it's a daily "co-wash" (conditioner and rinse). Apple cider vinegar really does work for buildup, especially for people with very curly hair textures. Mine is only moderately curly these days so I'm pretty happy with shampooing every few days and conditioning daily.

But yeah, when i was doing outdoor work I had to shampoo much more regularly even though it wasn't great for my hair and scalp.

Also, being a longhair, putting it in braids keeps it much cleaner. Won't work for guys with "respectable" haircuts.

The internet, of course :)

There's a whole "no poo" bunch of folks, that are even more bonkers than us shavers :lol: Their "Arko" seems to be Apple Cider Vinegar, but there's folks rubbing all manner of edible stuff in their hair, from avocado, to rosemary tea, to honey and lemon, and yes, raw egg.

However, it's critical to rinse with water no warmer than room temperature, otherwise you end up with a severe dose of omelette head, and end up needing shampoo anyway :001_rolle
Well, I’ve learned something new anyway. (Or do you Yorkshire folk say “any road”?)

I have changed my hygiene a bit since COVID19 began...in a good way. I spend
more time brushing my teeth (2 minutes) and less time in the shower. I only soap
up the "my feet, the pits and the bits." I shampoo once a week with a very mild
shampoo and use a good conditioner. I only use cold water when I shower. Then
there is the wet-shaving, that is where I spend most of my time and energy. But
I am preaching to the choir on that point...

Top Bottom